Young Carlton Professionals (YCP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Young wannabe suits trying to ensure the club is stuffed full of fat, boozy, suits for all eternity. You wanna talk cliques - no overalls. Joke.
I actually see this as an opportunity for non 'old carlton' people to get involved at the club so we don't have the board passing seats on it down from one Pratt etc to the next.

Seems unfair you dislike a bunch of people because they wear suits to work. Ultimately I want successful people in business running my club irrespective if they wear a suit to work or not. This could provide path ways for new blood to lead the club and not just the same old same old.

But hey let's all be negative about a group of people trying to actually do something. I thought gen y were lazy, but hey they are doing something so let's pot them.

It is actually good to see the kids of tomorrow trying to do something now. After all... when we are old, they will be the ones in the right age group to be running the club. Whether they can actually do anything about it now is another question. They could just be laying the foundations for the future.

I actually see this as an opportunity for non 'old carlton' people to get involved at the club so we don't have the board passing seats on it down from one Pratt etc to the next.

Seems unfair you dislike a bunch of people because they wear suits to work. Ultimately I want successful people in business running my club irrespective if they wear a suit to work or not. This could provide path ways for new blood to lead the club and not just the same old same old.

But hey let's all be negative about a group of people trying to actually do something. I thought gen y were lazy, but hey they are doing something so let's pot them.
It is actually good to see the kids of tomorrow trying to do something now. After all... when we are old, they will be the ones in the right age group to be running the club. Whether they can actually do anything about it now is another question. They could just be laying the foundations for the future.

Spot on. :thumbsu:

I don't think the issue is that the members wear suits (at least, I hope it isn't, because I have to wear suits to work :oops:). Maybe the issue is that one of the requirements of joining is that they assess your resume to judge your suitability.

I don't think the issue is that the members wear suits (at least, I hope it isn't, because I have to wear suits to work :oops:). Maybe the issue is that one of the requirements of joining is that they assess your resume to judge your suitability.
Just had a look at their ordinary website , took forever to load and when I clicked on the Apply Now got an Internal Server Error message :eek:

It is a young professionals group after all, I'd have thought it necessary to assess potential members suitability. (as with many other groups)

I didnt get that far... and I think that I am finally past the 'young' stage...

Just had a look at their ordinary website , took forever to load and when I clicked on the Apply Now got an Internal Server Error message :eek:
see my review above... there are a lot of issues with the website TBH.

Joined this last year, good networking opportunity for the few functions, heaps of lawyers in it though it seemed - I'd say 70% from talking to people at the events. Was going to join again this year but after the horrid start to the season I decided to not give the club and any associated groups anymore money until they can prove the house is in order -the captains club 18 games reserved seat is enough!! It's a good concept and something I might consider again in a few years

It is a young professionals group after all, I'd have thought it necessary to assess potential members suitability. (as with many other groups)

Fair call. To be honest, I have connected with them on LinkedIn and considered joining purely to meet other Carlton supporters (I know very few), but I get really shy in networking situations so I'd probably suck at it.

There is a big difference in attitude towards what constitutes a professional.

I dont wear a suit and tie to work, but I am considered a professional. I am tertiary qualified, have worked all over the world. Have been headhunted to go and work for AOL in the states (thank god I told them no). Am I any different to someone who has to wear a suit and tie to work every day?

I've worked for web development companies that deal with insurance brokerage, information technology (which is different to working in IT which is what I do... but hey... it's Intel so you make up your mind), commerce and with the average bloke off the street wanting a web presence.

At the end of the day, I dont think that I need to be judged on my resume when I say that I am a professional.

Looking at the guys on the YCP board, there are 2 lawyers, 2 property developers and someone from investment banking. Are they more professional than me?

Fair call. To be honest, I have connected with them on LinkedIn and considered joining purely to meet other Carlton supporters (I know very few), but I get really shy in networking situations so I'd probably suck at it.
give me alcohol and I will network with anyone... except that as an IT professional, my concept of networking might differ slightly from someone who is a lawyer...

'What do you mean there are no catV cables to plug in...'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

give me alcohol and I will network with anyone... except that as an IT professional, my concept of networking might differ slightly from someone who is a lawyer...

'What do you mean there are no catV cables to plug in...'

Oh God, I'd never drink at a networking event! I talk far too much (about inappropriate topics) when I'm drinking.

Oh God, I'd never drink at a networking event! I talk far too much (about inappropriate topics) when I'm drinking.
It's the only way I would talk at a networking event.

The potential downside of my drinking at a networking event containing a lot of lawyers would be that I might require one after the event has finished.

There is a big difference in attitude towards what constitutes a professional.

I dont wear a suit and tie to work, but I am considered a professional. I am tertiary qualified, have worked all over the world. Have been headhunted to go and work for AOL in the states (thank god I told them no). Am I any different to someone who has to wear a suit and tie to work every day?

I've worked for web development companies that deal with insurance brokerage, information technology (which is different to working in IT which is what I do... but hey... it's Intel so you make up your mind), commerce and with the average bloke off the street wanting a web presence.

At the end of the day, I dont think that I need to be judged on my resume when I say that I am a professional.

Looking at the guys on the YCP board, there are 2 lawyers, 2 property developers and someone from investment banking. Are they more professional than me?
I wasn't intending to sound judgemental mate.
If you (or anyone else) don't want to apply to join such a group, no one is forcing you to. :)
I see no problem with a "young professionals" group screening their applicants to a set criteria providing that it doesn't become a snobby circlejerk, which from my experience, it isn't.

I wasn't intending to sound judgemental mate.
If you (or anyone else) don't want to apply to join such a group, no one is forcing you to. :)
I see no problem with a "young professionals" group screening their applicants to a set criteria providing that it doesn't become a snobby circlejerk, which from my experience, it isn't.
Which is why I feel that there are two definitions of the term professionals in use here.

These guys are obviously business professionals and want to associate with other business professionals, while professionals like myself possibly wouldnt really stand a change of getting through their selection criteria.

These guys are 'high flying' professionals from the banking, property and law professions while a lowly IT professional like myself is a lowly working class professional.

As I said before, I feel that I am already precluded from the group by them using the term 'young'. While I feel that I am a young 50 year old... I am the wrong side of 40 to be considered young really.

2014-04-25-07-42-22-977997874.jpeg
Why do I keep picturing The Iron Yuppie?

Anyway, good luck to anyone who wants to do good for the club. I have a natural aversion to anything with a scent of self determined exclusivity to it but that's mostly related to my own crippling inferiority complex.

Go Blues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back