80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
Have been regularly shooting 45 per 9 for a few weeks (9 over). Have tightened up my general iron play and short game and has probably shaved off 10-20 shots per round.

Played over the weekend at my local, shot around a 50 which is pretty average for me, not bad considering I haven't had a hit for a while.
Just annoyed at the fact that this bloke blatantly stole my ball. Hooked it a little bit to in between the hole I was playing and another going the opposite direction but saw exactly where the ball landed so didn't really take a lot of notice after it. I then see a bloke walk really quickly, hit a ball, then continue on and thought it was fine until I realised he has hit mine. I know its just one ball and they cost nothing but surely this stuff doesn't occur at most places and people have better etiquette than this.
Is this common for you blokes as well?

Played over the weekend at my local, shot around a 50 which is pretty average for me, not bad considering I haven't had a hit for a while.
Just annoyed at the fact that this bloke blatantly stole my ball. Hooked it a little bit to in between the hole I was playing and another going the opposite direction but saw exactly where the ball landed so didn't really take a lot of notice after it. I then see a bloke walk really quickly, hit a ball, then continue on and thought it was fine until I realised he has hit mine. I know its just one ball and they cost nothing but surely this stuff doesn't occur at most places and people have better etiquette than this.

Yep. It's usually members of the public and not club members. Happens a lot.

Hit a cracking drive on the 2nd last week saw where it landed etc. Then had a guy walk up to it and hit it as I was walking up the fairway. Normally I would yell out but he was carrying an ancient bag, wearing a flat brim cap and smoking. Looked really rough, so I didn't think it would be worth it.

I do pick up balls but they're ones I know are 'lost' and not someone's ball they just hit.

very rare at my club for the reason that its comp day every day (more or less). if you hit someone elses ball there are various penalties. But in reality its just common courtesy, which i hope all members at the club of which im also a member would extend to any course.

i strongly suggest you mark your ball with a sharpie pen. write your name,or initials. many just put dots on the ball, i find initials are best. there can be no disputing it.

very rare at my club for the reason that its comp day every day (more or less). if you hit someone elses ball there are various penalties. But in reality its just common courtesy, which i hope all members at the club of which im also a member would extend to any course.

Same with mine, but the last comp group usually goes out ~12-1pm. I usually play of an afternoon, between 3.30-4.30 tee off, and that's when there are also a lot of non-members playing. During comp play though it never happens.

Same with mine, but the last comp group usually goes out ~12-1pm. I usually play of an afternoon, between 3.30-4.30 tee off, and that's when there are also a lot of non-members playing. During comp play though it never happens.

yes. we have a guest course every day, and also allow guests onto a second course after 12pm.

guests can still enter comps, but those exhibiting undesirable behaviour could be assumed as a hit and giggle type

Yep. It's usually members of the public and not club members. Happens a lot.

Hit a cracking drive on the 2nd last week saw where it landed etc. Then had a guy walk up to it and hit it as I was walking up the fairway. Normally I would yell out but he was carrying an ancient bag, wearing a flat brim cap and smoking. Looked really rough, so I didn't think it would be worth it.

I do pick up balls but they're ones I know are 'lost' and not someone's ball they just hit.

Who cares how rough he looked ? Everyone knows their ball, and he was just being a Syd. I would not have let that go through to the keeper. Common Golf etiquette. Check the ball. If it's not yours, LEAVE IT ALONE.

More reflective of my mood at the time. Just could not be bothered going through the motions, especially after he had hit the ball in the opposite direction.

EDIT: I do mark my ball though. Just purchased this bad boy.

http://www.golfchannel.com/sites/golfchannel.prod.acquia-sites.com/files/heisenberg_tincup.jpg

I would be a little less upset if it was a huge slice that went two fairways right. I would be thinking " You can keep that one ". It was a cracking drive on your fairway. Give it back.

So it does seem as though its more so non-members who do this kind of stuff, which is understandable considering my local is just a public course. The bloke did have one of the visitors buggies and was with a mate drinking beers so not really surprised. If I was closer to him I would have said something to him but when I got up there he was already 150m down the fairway.
This is the same place where I have almost been sconed on the head more than a few times from people not yelling out when they hit a wild shot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i go one further. i make note of the ball and if someone looks like theyre looking for one i point it out to them.
of course, you'd have to be a jerk not to do that. i did it even when playing junior tourny's/pennant.

Golf karma always finds a way to come back and bite you.

I remember i played this douche at pennant, one of the types that thinks he's gods gift to golf. Anyway, on this par 3 i blocked my iron shot out to the right of the green and the ball plugged. I asked him for a drop and he goes "it's a local rule around here that you don't get relief from a plugged lie unless the course manager has indicated otherwise before the start of play and as i'm golf manager, that rule isn't on today".......

i argued with him for a couple of minutes, he pulled out his friggin rule book, so i said whatever, i'll just play it.

I can see maybe the top 4 dimples of the ball, the thing was completely buried. I decide to just swing as hard as i can at it with a lob wedge and hope for the best. Take a huge divot and the ball comes out from underneath it, one bounce, in the hole.

He goes ".......nice shot". I say nothing and walk off whilst shooting him a Kobe like glare.

Ended up losing, but still. Was a nice feeling sticking it to the syd.

I remember i played this douche at pennant, one of the types that thinks he's gods gift to golf. Anyway, on this par 3 i blocked my iron shot out to the right of the green and the ball plugged. I asked him for a drop and he goes "it's a local rule around here that you don't get relief from a plugged lie unless the course manager has indicated otherwise before the start of play and as i'm golf manager, that rule isn't on today".......

i argued with him for a couple of minutes, he pulled out his friggin rule book, so i said whatever, i'll just play it.

I've played plenty of different team and individual sports and out of all of them golf has the most amount of arrogant douches.

of course, you'd have to be a jerk not to do that. i did it even when playing junior tourny's/pennant.

Golf karma always finds a way to come back and bite you.

I can see maybe the top 4 dimples of the ball, the thing was completely buried. I decide to just swing as hard as i can at it with a lob wedge and hope for the best. Take a huge divot and the ball comes out from underneath it, one bounce, in the hole.

He goes ".......nice shot". I say nothing and walk off whilst shooting him a Kobe like glare.

Ended up losing, but still. Was a nice feeling sticking it to the syd.

thought he'd make you play it again....after a drop

I've played plenty of different team and individual sports and out of all of them golf has the most amount of arrogant douches.

depends on the group i guess.

on the face of things one would expect members at the club where im also a member to be arrogant, snobs. some are yes, but 99% are accommodating and friendly. whilst not the regular due to other commitments there are many members who remember me and say gday when i do make the trek down. i feel ashamed cause i dont remember everyones name.

depends on the group i guess.

on the face of things one would expect members at the club where im also a member to be arrogant, snobs. some are yes, but 99% are accommodating and friendly. whilst not the regular due to other commitments there are many members who remember me and say gday when i do make the trek down. i feel ashamed cause i dont remember everyones name.

I didn't mean there was a majority. Most people that I see out on the course are great. I find there are a select few, usually between the ages of 15-25 that aren't very nice people.

I didn't mean there was a majority. Most people that I see out on the course are great. I find there are a select few, usually between the ages of 15-25 that aren't very nice people.

Total opposite here, I have found the young blokes are normally great and its the middle aged blokes who commonly crack it. The time before last time when I played I had a group of blokes (late 30's/40's) cracking the shits at us because we were taking so long, when in front of us there was two groups of SIX seniors going around taking their time and barely hitting past 50m. I remember looking back at the main bloke losing his s**t and watching his tee off shot go hard right across two holes, was very satisfying :D

a group of blokes (late 30's/40's) cracking the shits at us because we were taking so long, when in front of us there was two groups of SIX seniors going around taking their time and barely hitting past 50m.

Yeah, that happens a lot and in those circumstances it's usually the older guys I agree. I actually don't get why people are like that when there's nothing anyone can do.

Total opposite here, I have found the young blokes are normally great and its the middle aged blokes who commonly crack it. The time before last time when I played I had a group of blokes (late 30's/40's) cracking the shits at us because we were taking so long, when in front of us there was two groups of SIX seniors going around taking their time and barely hitting past 50m. I remember looking back at the main bloke losing his s**t and watching his tee off shot go hard right across two holes, was very satisfying :D

may i ask the circumstance? were they guests? competition?

Yeah, that happens a lot and in those circumstances it's usually the older guys I agree. I actually don't get why people are like that when there's nothing anyone can do.

i disagree respectfully of course.

if im playing the members course of the day there's always a marshal (i personally think there should be marshals even on the guest and especially on the guest course so you dont get morons disobeying decency - i once saw a guest piss in the middle of the Moonah course fairway!!).

as long as you keep up with the group in front then you're fine. of course there maybe a situation where you're playing with a novice who is putting balls everywhere (i was that person once). understanding and empathy required. additionally others in that group need to keep play moving

may i ask the circumstance? were they guests? competition?

i disagree respectfully of course.

if im playing the members course of the day there's always a marshal (i personally think there should be marshals even on the guest and especially on the guest course so you dont get morons disobeying decency - i once saw a guest piss in the middle of the Moonah course fairway!!).

as long as you keep up with the group in front then you're fine. of course there maybe a situation where you're playing with a novice who is putting balls everywhere (i was that person once). understanding and empathy required. additionally others in that group need to keep play moving

When it happens it's usually the group in front of us or the group in front of the group in front of us, slowing down play. I just don't understand why other groups get frustrated. I think their expectation is that they should be able to tee off as soon as they get to every hole and not have to wait.

Pace of play usually isn't a problem in the competitions I play, stableford is good in the sense that people just pick up their ball at 2 over. The problem I find, and which I probably didn't specifically mention in my last post, is the unrealistic expectations some golfers have about the pace of play.

we have one bloke at my club that's notorious for slow play.

plays off a handicap in the high teens, but will take 5 minutes getting a yardage, 10 practice swings, ages over putts etc..

everyone looks at the time sheet and avoids him as much as possible.

as far as who is the biggest sooks, i can't pin it just on one generation, although i've noticed the juniors coming though that are talented, playing in state tourny's etc., are some of the most self entitled little douche bags I've ever seen. Think they own whatever course they're playing on.

although i've noticed the juniors coming though that are talented, playing in state tourny's etc., are some of the most self entitled little douche bags I've ever seen. Think they own whatever course they're playing on.

This is what I've found with some of the juniors. I played with a guy in a comp a few weeks ago who was 19 off a 3 handicap and he just wasn't enjoying himself. Throwing clubs, swearing, swearing and abusing himself in the third person. I had never seen anything like it and haven't since. He was mental.

When it happens it's usually the group in front of us or the group in front of the group in front of us, slowing down play. I just don't understand why other groups get frustrated. I think their expectation is that they should be able to tee off as soon as they get to every hole and not have to wait.

it is cognizant of the group or a member in the group to keep the group moving (i just said group a lot). in your case, the people behind you complaining should be reported for behaviour unbecoming. if they cant see that it's not your fault they should shut up.

if they want to hit and move asap then book in a 6.30am slot!

do you have marshals at your course?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back