Opinion Zac Dawson

Remove this Banner Ad

calaisking

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
What's everyone's thoughts on how Zac Dawsons been playing lately? He has looked shaky as hell in the backline these last few weeks.

The thing with Zac is, he is a decent defender when he is playing on the 2nd or 3rd tall/ crashing the packs for a spoil but shocking at making a quick decision when under the pump. He always looks for the handball rather then the kick and has handballed to a player under the pump numerous times

Last night he was lucky to not get called for deliberate when he panicked and handballed the ball over the line which could've costed us a goal and giving away that 50 metre penalty was lucky to not seal the game for Carlton.

I actually do like him and am in no way having a dig at him as a player but I feel he could really cost us a game in the coming weeks.

Do you think Ross would ever do, Dawson OUT, Silvangi IN ? and do you think that's a better option for us?

What's everyone's thoughts on how Zac Dawsons been playing lately? He has looked shaky as hell in the backline these last few weeks.

The thing with Zac is, he is a decent defender when he is playing on the 2nd or 3rd tall/ crashing the packs for a spoil but shocking at making a quick decision when under the pump. He always looks for the handball rather then the kick and has handballed to a player under the pump numerous times

Last night he was lucky to not get called for deliberate when he panicked and handballed the ball over the line which could've costed us a goal and giving away that 50 metre penalty was lucky to not seal the game for Carlton.

I actually do like him and am in no way having a dig at him as a player but I feel he could really cost us a game in the coming weeks.

Do you think Ross would ever do, Dawson OUT, Silvangi IN ? and do you think that's a better option for us?

McPharlin and Johnson have been average the last two weeks and our midfield has lost the battle the last two weeks.

This has put huge pressure on Dawson and co, but having Ibbotson back this week helped a lot.

I am concerned that McPharlin was not going with Waite on the lead, did he not have the fitness or did he not want to push his calf hard enough?

Dawson will hold his spot for the rest of the year.

I am ZacD's biggest fan but I'll admit he hasn't had a great year, still a bit ahead of Silvagni though. He is still doing the team things and the umps have done him no favours the last 2 weeks.

Still he hasn't been getting bags kicked on him, opponents have been working him up the ground though which isn't his preferred area!

He hasn't been his best lately but neither have the whole backline.

That could never have been called deliberate since Luke was about a meter away from the ball and the 50 was bullshit. I also watched the replay of that 50 and focused on where Waite marked the ball and Dawson was pretty much smack bang on the mark.

More worried about McPharlin tbh. He looked slow and trailed metres behind his all night. Dawson was at least there at the contest. Also the 50 metre rule for running over the mark should be abolished. The penalty is far too great for crime.

Great defender. Has a few brain fades but saves us countless times.
The whole team has been shakey the last two weeks. But let's herd all the goats up. Dawson is like billy goats gruff the Alfa goat. Had always been a target for criticism.
In my opinion our team defence is not functioning as it should and that puts the back line under pressure.
But yeah if you would listen to the crowd in the block where I sit at the game it's always Dawsons fault...... And we should ''Just Kick It Already.!! ''

I think hes been shown up by the fact that hes been asked to do a job hes not neccesarily made for which is a symptom of McPharlins decline.
IMO if we had Alex playing and he had the job on the key forwards and Zac reverted back to his previous role we would see normal Zac.

So in conclusion until Silvagini replaces Luke or until Luke regains confidence to go onto the number 1 man i think this is what we're going to get.

Did you see the look of passion when the siren went and we won last night? That was because he was under siege all game, it was finally over and we won.

He did his job. Casboult didn't get involved.

Did he have Casboult?
I was having trouble pin pointing who had Casboult and who had Henderson?

Either way besides Luke on Waite their talls were ineffectual so shows he played well.

Cleaned someone up in a contest that stopped a Carlton surge, possibly in the last. Will have to rewatch the game.

He's still good in my books. Bigger concerns that him.

Got three text messages last night after the game from "neutrals" saying how s**t he is, pretty much my exact response bolded.

Yes, he makes some dumb mistakes with ball in hand when he handballs to someone under pressure just to get rid of the pill.
Yes, he gives away the occasional dumb free, but that 50 last night was HARSH. I wonder if he realised that by crossing to Freo and pulling on a purple jumper this would make him more susceptible to umpires pulling inexplicable frees/50s out of their arses to hand his opponents easy and unwarranted goals??
Yes, he punches / double fists the ball when at times he could sometimes mark almost uncontested - BUT he is the best spoiler in the game and I'm sure RTB has programmed him to just spoil every time.
But he is a clever defender in that he knows when to leave his man to create a contest elsewhere - in a split second he can assess the options and when he does leave his man he invariably gives us a 50/50 chance at winning the ball and RARELY does this mean his man is left free long enough to actually do any damage. He innately understands when it's safe to be able to cover both options at once. That is a skill.
His opponents kick very few goals on him. That means he's doing his job.

If Silvagni comes in it'll be for Lukey Mac - Silvagni plays a completely different game to Zac (different to McPharlin too, but not AS diifferent as that's more because of raw talent than game style / role in the backline).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he could have lost us the game last night with some terrible kicking and poor decision making. At least Silvagne can kick well and can take a mark. Dawson always goes for the double fisted punch when under pressure when he could clearly mark the ball. He frustrated me terribly last night. I'm not saying Silvagne is the better option but I'm beginning to wonder.

I thought he could have lost us the game last night with some terrible kicking and poor decision making. At least Silvagne can kick well and can take a mark. Dawson always goes for the double fisted punch when under pressure when he could clearly mark the ball. He frustrated me terribly last night. I'm not saying Silvagne is the better option but I'm beginning to wonder.

Spurr brain fart,holding the ball Simpson waltzes around the mark and goal,Johnson and Luke brain farts in the same play
Ibbo misses a crucial goal 30 out,Suban and Hill both miss easy shots,Spurr kicks across goal ,turnover goal,Sandi misses mark after mark,Neale unsighted but these are all discounted and the guy who does his job and beats his man is the problem. FFS some on here need to grab a brain

I am ZacD's biggest fan but I'll admit he hasn't had a great year, still a bit ahead of Silvagni though. He is still doing the team things and the umps have done him no favours the last 2 weeks.

Still he hasn't been getting bags kicked on him, opponents have been working him up the ground though which isn't his preferred area!
He had a bag kicked on him against St. Kilda. Although the whole team was horrible.

More worried about McPharlin tbh. He looked slow and trailed metres behind his all night. Dawson was at least there at the contest. Also the 50 metre rule for running over the mark should be abolished. The penalty is far too great for crime.
Yeah totally agree, why can't it be 25 metres? 50 metres does not fit the infraction...

Spurr brain fart,holding the ball Simpson waltzes around the mark and goal,Johnson and Luke brain farts in the same play
That was Mundy's fault, that play. Had the ball on half back, with more time, panic handballed to McPharlin who had a man on him, and the chain just got more panicked and uncertain.

When a playmaker like Mundy is in bad form the whole chain tends to fall apart.

Dawson is the ONLY key defender staying with his man at the moment. McPharlin is not himself and Johnson is struggling whether to zone off / create play.
There were so many other reasons beyond Dawson as to why our defense is struggling. Give credit to the Blues who implemented a good game plan against us as well.

That was Mundy's fault, that play. Had the ball on half back, with more time, panic handballed to McPharlin who had a man on him, and the chain just got more panicked and uncertain.

When a playmaker like Mundy is in bad form the whole chain tends to fall apart.

Yeh true enough

F
Ibbo misses a crucial goal 30 out,Suban and Hill both miss easy shots,Spurr kicks across goal ,turnover goal,Sandi misses mark after mark,Neale unsighted but these are all discounted and the guy who does his job and beats his man is the problem. FFS some on here need to grab a brain
fair enough. But still a gutsy win

I think hes been shown up by the fact that hes been asked to do a job hes not neccesarily made for which is a symptom of McPharlins decline.
IMO if we had Alex playing and he had the job on the key forwards and Zac reverted back to his previous role we would see normal Zac.

So in conclusion until Silvagini replaces Luke or until Luke regains confidence to go onto the number 1 man i think this is what we're going to get.
Not having a go but could you elaborate on Dawson's normal role? I would have thought being a key defender was his normal role? I mean it's not like he has been asked to go into the ruck or move up forward. I thought he has still been getting the 2nd best forward most games. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

He was well beaten last week but who wasn't? I actually thought he was one of our best last night, one of the few guys who seems extremely determined and passionate ( something most of our players have lacked this year) . I too am getting sick of the Dawson criticism especially after last nights game where there would be long list of guys who played worse than zac. Also why do the umps over the last two matches seem to have a strong hatred for Dawson and everything he does , the bloke can't get any where near his opponent without being penalized and you can see it's pissing him off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back