Richmond 13.13 (91) def. Port Adelaide 8.6 (54)

Richmond has claimed their second win for the season, cruising to a 37-point win over Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium.

The Tigers set up the win in the second quarter, kicking five goals to one, but were hardly impressive in overcoming the Power. Both teams’ performances were nothing to write home about; riddled with bad decision-making and poor disposal.

Richmond will be disappointed that they were not able to produce a four quarter performance and put Port to the sword. As for Port Adelaide, they failed to reproduce the competitiveness shown in previous rounds and will rue the opportunity to claim a second win.

The first quarter was the closest of the game, both teams came out with good intent but it was Richmond who were able to capitalise, kicking the first three goals.

Port were able to claw one back but were hurt by the loss of Cameron Hitchcock to a hamstring issue. He was subbed off for Darren Pfeiffer just before the siren.

After Port Adelaide kicked the first of the second, the game looked like heating up but Richmond had other ideas. The Tigers piled on the next five goals and dominated the game with Brett Deledio shining.

They were helped further by the Power’s shocking disposal, the stat that epitomised the quarter was the inside 50s which finished at 19-2 for the quarter in favour of Richmond.

After the half, the game turned on its head as Port Adelaide took control and Richmond fell away. The Power cleaned up their disposal and started winning clearances; they were able to reduce some of the damage by kicking four goals. Richmond on the other hand lost all desire and could only manage one.

If Port were to be any chance they had to kick the first goal of the last but after five minutes, Riewoldt converted, putting the game out of reach.

From there the game died down and the Tigers were able to extend their lead to six goals and carry it to the end.

Shane Tuck was impressive at the stoppages -

For Richmond the standout player was ruckman Ivan Maric. The former Adelaide Crow played his best game for his new club, dominating the ruck with 46 hit-outs.

He was one of the few Tigers to put in a four quarter effort and his work to get into the backline was crucial.

Shane Tuck was another to put in a four quarter effort; he worked hard at the stoppages, gathering eight clearances to go along with his 28 possessions.

The Tigers will also be pleased with the efforts of Robin Nahas whose forward pressure and three goals were important. New recruit Steven Morris was also impressive off the half-back line.

As for Port, Ben Jacobs was one of the best; he persevered all day and was good at the stoppages with 23 disposals and five clearances.

Brad Ebert was also one of the better players, gathering 30 disposals, 16 of which were contested. In the back half Jacob Surjan was admirable; he provided a contest all day and was able to kill multiple Richmond attacks.

Next week Richmond face the tough task of the 5-1 Swans who are looking dangerous, while Port Adelaide travel to Pattersons Stadium to play a Fremantle team struggling for form.


3 –  Ivan Maric (Richmond)

2 –  Shane Tuck (Richmond)

1 –  Robin Nahas (Richmond)


Port Adelaide: Renouf, Broadbent 2, Stewart, Jacobs, Butcher, Young

Richmond: Riewoldt 4, Nahas 3, King 2, Miller, Newman, Deledio, Conca


Port Adelaide: Ebert, Hartlett, Jacobs, Cassisi, Renouf, Boak

Richmond: Maric, Deledio, Tuck, Rance, Nahas, Morris, King


Port Adelaide: Surjan (dislocated finger), Hitchcock (hamstring), Cornes (bruised knee)

Richmond: Newman (shin), Vickery (corked buttock)


Port Adelaide: Darren Pfeiffer replaced Cameron Hitchcock at quarter-time.

Richmond: Shane Edwards replaced Tyrone Vickery in the third quarter

Reports: Nil

Umpires: McBurney, Ritchie, Margetts

Official crowd: 18,552 at AAMI Stadium