Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the destruction of country footy over the years the Campbell Town news is simply great! Or dare I say it 'fantastic'. Let me tell you Advance, there are plenty of us out here that are very happy that Campbell Town have joined the ODFA. Good on 'em, wish 'em well and hope this is just another small step in resurrecting country footy. Challenge for the community now is to get behind 'em and support 'em to the hilt.
Go the 'Townies!
Great to see :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

The Bastard Squad have got plenty of 'spindouli' ;)
With serial pests like Omant gaining sponsorship money by the truck load each year - he is one of the best sponsorship gatherers I've ever seen this bloke - never gives in - they'll be chucking it around don't you worry!!
All this "OMG we're gonna go into recess!!!!111!!!1!!" talk is merely a smokescreen about putting pressure on to get lights at North Hobart ;)
By the sounds of things Kingpin you don't like North Hobart that much!
It's funny how all people say this club has this much money, that club has done that! But do any of us know the real facts? or is this all speculation?
I for one don't know about what clubs pay what so i can't comment, and why don't the council let North Hobart Oval have lights? Wouldn't be good for Football in the South? see North V Launceston on a friday night, have a few drinks with your mates after work and then on Saturday go and support your local teams, Wouldnt this benefit everyone?

It's funny how all people say this club has this much money, that club has done that! But do any of us know the real facts? or is this all speculation?
I for one don't know about what clubs pay what so i can't comment, and why don't the council let North Hobart Oval have lights? Wouldn't be good for Football in the South? see North V Launceston on a friday night, have a few drinks with your mates after work and then on Saturday go and support your local teams, Wouldnt this benefit everyone?

Yeah would love to go watch a game and have a few beers but who wants to stand up on the terrace wing with the wanna be cops not letting you take your frothy back to your seat . A bar under cover with a great view ,close to the crapper is not to much to ask .How about up on the terrace (Argyle Street) imagine the atmosphere up there .

That's absolutely correct :thumbsu:
Put it this way, there are very few if any Hobart people that were around the club in the late-80's and all through the 90's and into the early part of the 2000's that have a good opinion of North.
Let's just say, the fact that they knocked us over in 3 grand finals and tipped us out of another finals series is one reason, but it is way down the pecking order in reasons why Hobart fans from that era don't like them ;)

glory man said:
According to North's 2008 year book they've done pretty well sponsorship-wise again this year, their sponsorship gathering has always been tremendous - David Omant is the best I've ever seen at this. Outstanding :thumbsu:
And they have 557 members according to this publication, so you would think that they would have a good bit of coin around there.
glory man said:
I for one don't know about what clubs pay what so i can't comment,
Me either. Only what people from clubs tell me.
glory man said:
and why don't the council let North Hobart Oval have lights?
It's on the agenda. Only problem is local residents having a whinge about the 'intrusive nature' of lights beaming into their homes in the immediate area, and concerns over increased traffic, parking issues and noise.
Those issues have been a thorn in the side of North Hobart Oval being renovated, especially seeing as the area has changed a LOT in demographic over the past 15 years.
Speaking of which, Hobart Football Club's work in getting the Council to have lights installed at the TCA Ground has run into somewhat of a hitch.
This hitch is called the 'Friends Of The Domain' :rolleyes: AGAIN!
FOTD has complained about the intended installation citing 'intrusive lighting and increased noise' disrupting homes nearby.
This lot were the same crew of *s who wanted cars banned from parking on the Cottage End hill at the TCA Ground some years ago, because it had some 'rare South African grass' on it.
I thought they'd been rolling it up in a spliff and smoking it personally when I heard that.

Faaark me - Only in Tasmania..... *sighs*

glory man said:
Wouldn't be good for Football in the South? see North V Launceston on a friday night, have a few drinks with your mates after work and then on Saturday go and support your local teams, Wouldnt this benefit everyone?
Yes it would benefit footy here. Most definitely.
I've loved the night games when they've been on and have been to many of them.
Only trouble is, as you would be aware, we have a terrible NIMBY problem here in the South which seems to have a huge lack of compromise and only ends up harming our state (and region) in things like sport - see Bellerive Oval for another example.
Seems most of the serial complainers (especially in this area) are Green voters, the very types who are very militant at complaining and 'aren't into sport'.
Hence sports suffer. :(

Speaking of which, Hobart Football Club's work in getting the Council to have lights installed at the TCA Ground has run into somewhat of a hitch.
This hitch is called the 'Friends Of The Domain' :rolleyes: AGAIN!
FOTD has complained about the intended installation citing 'intrusive lighting and increased noise' disrupting homes nearby.

Why would the council or the public of Southern Tasmania to have lights at the TCA?
Who would wanna travel up watch a a night game of football up there?
It's cold, Struggle to see the other side of the ground and there is little space where you can sit down and watch the game?

Why would the council or the public of Southern Tasmania to have lights at the TCA?
Who would wanna travel up watch a a night game of football up there?
It's cold, Struggle to see the other side of the ground and there is little space where you can sit down and watch the game?
The Hobart Football Club made a request to the Hobart City Council some time back requesting additional lighting being installed at the ground for night football.
This lighting is not television broadcast standard (so the ABC wouldn't be able to cover it - not that they would of a night anyway) but it is supposedly good enough that spectators will be able to view the play.
As for who would want to travel up there for night games because of the cold conditions, both North Hobart and the TCA are just as cold as each other from experience.
North Hobart doesn't get quite the violent wind gusts and snow that the TCA does mind you.
The TCA Ground hosted night greyhound racing from 1935-1980 so it wouldn't be the first time night events have been held up there.
I'd personally like to see Hobart play their night matches down at North Hobart, but once again, that would be totally reliant on North Hobart not being given the green-light to rake in all the takings at our expense like they did for all of the 90's, which was partially why we got sent broke and had to drop out of the TFL in the first place.

This is a random question but whats the word about Darryn Cresswell ?? He seems to have dropped off the face of the earth - does anyone know where he is and what his doing?? I am a big Sydney Swan fan and would like to know - Cheers

This is a random question but whats the word about Darryn Cresswell ?? He seems to have dropped off the face of the earth - does anyone know where he is and what his doing?? I am a big Sydney Swan fan and would like to know - Cheers
In England coaching netball as far as I know:D

I am sorry to say this mate but you won't find anyone on here that cares whatsoever about Cressa. After his time in Tassie, there is absolutely nothing positive to say about Cressa, and even if there was, you certainly wouldn't be hearing it from the Tassie Big Footy community.

i think a good summary would be 'good footballer, terrible bloke'.

I am sorry to say this mate but you won't find anyone on here that cares whatsoever about Cressa. After his time in Tassie, there is absolutely nothing positive to say about Cressa, and even if there was, you certainly wouldn't be hearing it from the Tassie Big Footy community.

i think a good summary would be 'good footballer, terrible bloke'.
I think it would be "Good footballer, Terrible bloke, Even worse coach".

Reports on Cressa suggest he was spotted some time back - about 2 months ago - delivering milk in Sydney; probabaly learned that off Lance.
Wonder did the Mariners coach ever catch up for that "sit down for a chat and coffee" they were going to have to "go over a few matters and sort things out?"
A bit like where's Wally really.

Noticed the Mercury had a snippet on page 46 today (30 Oct '08) saying that Jason Dunstall was going to be inducted into the Queensland Hall of Fame tonight. Big deal. Is he a Tasmanian or played for any Tasmanian teams? I stand corrected but think not. So typical of this lot, they just print what "comes down the line" and fills a space.
A bit of research would quickly reveal that one Gordon Bowman is also being inducted. He was a star player for SANDY BAY and coached them to a premiership, captained Tasmania and won the Lefroy medal.
Before coming to Tasmania to coach he played in a winning VFL (AFL) grand final with MELBOURNE. He also played for HAWTHORN.
But wait there is more. He is the only player in the history of the game to play in four senior grade premierships in four states. Melbourne (VIC), Sandy Bay (TAS), New Town (NSW) and MAYNE (QLD).
But, he doesn't even rate a mention in the Mercury.
He lives in Hobart.
We are a naïve, backward lot really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rusty Knives said:
A bit of research would quickly reveal that one Gordon Bowman is also being inducted. He was a star player for SANDY BAY and coached them to a premiership, captained Tasmania and won the Lefroy medal.
Before coming to Tasmania to coach he played in a winning VFL (AFL) grand final with MELBOURNE. He also played for HAWTHORN.
But wait there is more. He is the only player in the history of the game to play in four senior grade premierships in four states. Melbourne (VIC), Sandy Bay (TAS), New Town (NSW) and MAYNE (QLD).
But, he doesn't even rate a mention in the Mercury.
He lives in Hobart.
We are a naïve, backward lot really.
Bowman played 52 senior games for Melbourne and was a part of their 1948 premiership team.
Crossed to Hawthorn for a further 29 senior VFL games before crossing to Tasmania where he led Sandy Bay for seven years and also led Tasmania.
He was a member of the Sandy Bay 1952 TANFL Premiership team.
He went to Queensland and played for five seasons in the QANFL with the Mayne Tigers and was a member of two premiership sides, also played for Queensland.
Moved on to Newtown (NSW) in 1967 and played in their 1967 & 1968 Premiership teams and retired after 25 seasons of senior football at the age of 42 when Newtown lost the 1969 Grand Final.

Impressive player :thumbsu::thumbsu:

And you are spot on, the local media does seem to have a bit of local cultural cringe about our sport which is disappointing.

Then why have you listed North Melbourne as your preferred AFL club?

I love Nth Melbourne too - Thanks for all your input I see you all love Darryn Cresswell . Cressa will return to coach one day mark my words - he has unfinished business - may coach his old team down there Nth Hobart!!!:D:D:thumbsu:

I love Nth Melbourne too - Thanks for all your input I see you all love Darryn Cresswell . Cressa will return to coach one day mark my words - he has unfinished business - may coach his old team down there Nth Hobart!!!:D:D:thumbsu:

You never used to have anything to do with Netball did you? :eek:

Rumour around that Michael Praziak(Longford) to coach Georgetown next year and that he will be joined by Crawford(Nth Laun).
Pracca coaching Longford in 2009, great news for the club, at last someone who bleeds for the club. Will bring some good players with him, hope they recruit a spine and give the young fella's a go. Club has best junior set up given its drawing power, time to reap rewards. Heaps of young fellows out there, give them their head and anything could happen

Proud club, no premierships since '89, 20 years is long enough to wait

Bowman played 52 senior games for Melbourne and was a part of their 1948 premiership team.
Crossed to Hawthorn for a further 29 senior VFL games before crossing to Tasmania where he led Sandy Bay for seven years and also led Tasmania.
He was a member of the Sandy Bay 1952 TANFL Premiership team.
He went to Queensland and played for five seasons in the QANFL with the Mayne Tigers and was a member of two premiership sides, also played for Queensland.
Moved on to Newtown (NSW) in 1967 and played in their 1967 & 1968 Premiership teams and retired after 25 seasons of senior football at the age of 42 when Newtown lost the 1969 Grand Final.

Impressive player :thumbsu::thumbsu:

And you are spot on, the local media does seem to have a bit of local cultural cringe about our sport which is disappointing.
That sure is an impressive career, What position did he play????

Any player movements with tthe southern clubs in the SWL?
Rumours, etc.

Clarence have picked up 2 ex devils picked up Cameron Thurley, as an assistanat coach also, along with Cameron Blight who will be involved as a Junoir development officer in the Clarence region.
Thurley was almost going to sign with OHA just to play with his best mate Matt Zukauskus but Clarence offered extra $$$$ making it hard to refuse.

Kane Richter to Lauderdale with new coach Cam De G....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back