Gc Naming Swallow WTF?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 17, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
none
How can Gold Coast name Swallow as one of their top 3 in 2010 and get him to train there etc? If this is the case shouldnt Scully and Trengove be allowed to train with us from Oct 12 when the young guys started?
AFL wont let us name picks 1,2 but are ahppy to let Gold Coast take this guy a year early? How many concessions are they going to get honestly.

They have chosen Swallow as a top 3 pick a year early, this suggests to me that they won't try and trade these 3 picks. The AFL is allowin him to come over early only if he agrees and as it is a new club, they need all these young kids to train to get ready as most will most likely play round 1 2011. I wouldn't be surprised if they also targetted Jack Darling early as well, superstar kid.

it will be interesting to see how it all pans out as a year ago, trengrove wasnt considered a top 2 pick and 2 years ago, Hill and Watts werent considered even as top 20! could they be shooting themselves in the foot by going a year early?

it will be interesting to see how it all pans out as a year ago, trengrove wasnt considered a top 2 pick and 2 years ago, Hill and Watts werent considered even as top 20! could they be shooting themselves in the foot by going a year early?

Watts and Hill didnt dominate WAFL seniors as 16 year olds.

Swallow would be a top 10 pick this year if he was allowed to be in it. One of the reasons for the drafting age changes was to keep guys like Swallow and Darling and Toy for the new franchise. Next year's crop appears to be as good as this year's is ordinary.

Gold Coast have a number of options up their sleeves as to how they get kids up there, but the AFL is falling over itself to make it work for them; so, if they want Swallow to train with soon, he's probably going to do it.

Looking at this year's U18 carnival, Swallow really looked the goods.

I reckon its a disgrace. Typical AFL bending the rules to make this GC experiment work.

I'd be interested to know whether the GC will pay David Swallow for 2010. I assume they will place him on a first year draftee salary?

But as has been pointed out, Melbourne can't have Scully or Trengove train with them this year pre-draft, in fact Vlad wont even let the Demons declare their choice to the media before the draft because it will "ruin the event" that is the draft and take away from the spectacle on Foxtel. Yet he will allow GC to ruin the 2010 draft by naming their players early? What a joke.

Perhaps the concessions to GC should be changed and GC can name picks 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 in the 2010 draft from now onwards and take them whenever they want? That's basically what's happening.

Dumetriou and Anderson are a pair of flogs, the sooner they piss off and stop ruining the game the better.

hang on, does this mean they are locked into him with a top 3 draft pick? what if he blows his knee out or has some career ending injury or something like that?

"oh hai vlad, we haz changed our mindz. do not want"

Dumetriou and Anderson are a pair of flogs, the sooner they piss off and stop ruining the game the better.

Yeah it does stink of hypocrisy, however, it is Vlads constant denial of the existence of tanking that has netted Melbourne 2 very good players this draft.

I reckon its a disgrace. Typical AFL bending the rules to make this GC experiment work.

I'd be interested to know whether the GC will pay David Swallow for 2010. I assume they will place him on a first year draftee salary?

But as has been pointed out, Melbourne can't have Scully or Trengove train with them this year pre-draft, in fact Vlad wont even let the Demons declare their choice to the media before the draft because it will "ruin the event" that is the draft and take away from the spectacle on Foxtel. Yet he will allow GC to ruin the 2010 draft by naming their players early? What a joke.

Perhaps the concessions to GC should be changed and GC can name picks 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 in the 2010 draft from now onwards and take them whenever they want? That's basically what's happening.

Let's not forget the whole "Top Ten Countdown" concept they are bringing in for the Draft.

Someone just end Demetriou and Anderson, the pair of them are dipshits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC17 dont have pick 4 in the 2010 ND.Freo will have that 4 sure.

I'm still amazed that people are expecting the AFL to be a) fair or b) consistent. Ain't ever gonna happen.

I have no doubt he would have gone No. 1.
Not according to Kevin Sheehan and Neville Stibbard, who's now working for West Sydney. Both have stated that Scully and Trengove would still be 1 and 2. Sheehan stated that 6 inelligible players would be in the top 20, whilst Stibbard rated 4 in the top 10.

Having said that, if Darling was rated 3rd best this year in an uncomprimised draft, I wouldn't be surprised if Melbourne took him at 2, rather than taking 2 on-ballers.

What if Ablett wins another Brownlow, and gets a Norm Smith.

He then decides he wouldn't mind $1.2m a season at the Gold Coast.

GC17 would have to give up pick 1 and 3, or pick 2 and 3 to get him!

What if Ablett wins another Brownlow, and gets a Norm Smith.

He then decides he wouldn't mind $1.2m a season at the Gold Coast.

GC17 would have to give up pick 1 and 3, or pick 2 and 3 to get him!

Exactly what I am thinking !!!!!!!!

This move gives a fairly strong statement about how the GC17 will be trading their picks next year. They must surely either not be interested in trading any of their first 3 picks for players, or they must be forced to at least take him with the last pick they have before another club gets to pick.

Eg what happens if the GC17 trade Ablett for pick #2 (among other picks/players). The GC17 then surely must pick Swallow with #1 as it is unfair on both Swallow, who has been uprooted with the promise of picking him in the 2010 draft, and it would be unfair to Geelong to have them choosing from a player pool in which one of the top recruits is already committed to another team. The GC17 couldn't possibly overlooking him for another player and having him being picked up by another club !!!!!!!!!

It would surely have to be considered draft tampering if Swallow was still unpicked before another club has a pick in the draft considering the lenghts the kid, and the club, have gone to committing to each other. I don't care if the kid has a career ending injury, meaning he won't play a game in his life, he should be forced to be picked up by the GC17 with their 1st available pick, which should be #1 and locked away as if it was a f/s pick to be used solely for picking Swallow.

The Gold Coast is andrew demetriou's secret favourite team and has been since he started the CEO position. He just needed time to announce there would be the 17th club :D

Not according to Kevin Sheehan and Neville Stibbard, who's now working for West Sydney. Both have stated that Scully and Trengove would still be 1 and 2. Sheehan stated that 6 inelligible players would be in the top 20, whilst Stibbard rated 4 in the top 10.

Having said that, if Darling was rated 3rd best this year in an uncomprimised draft, I wouldn't be surprised if Melbourne took him at 2, rather than taking 2 on-ballers.
Stibbard was never very good with early picks.

They said that because even before the rule changes Swallow would not have been eligible for this years draft. If however, there was no age restriction on this year's draft he would, without a doubt, be pick 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back