Previous TFL Seasons

Remove this Banner Ad

You could be right, I have Launceston, South Launceston, North Launceston, Lauderdale and Burnie around here but just cannot find them at the moment. I also have North Hobart's....Burnies is of very poor quality though, kinda sounds like someone dubbed it from a very old cassette tape and then turned it up on loud.

Both Lauderdale and North Launceston (from the cd I bought) are just using Essendon's clubsong, so I can upload that if anyone wants it. Launceston's kinda sounds lame as well, just the singer really.

Every time I play Devonport's I keep expecting "Collingwood" sung. :p

I listened to the Glenorchy one, that's the old Spectangle one from the late 80's and is exactly the same as the old Burnie Hawks one (the old cassettes used to have the tune with words on one side and the tune only on the other).
Devonport's is an exact copy of the old Fable Singers' Collingwood song, only that some guy has quickly dubbed a 'Devonnnn-pooort' over it.
Surprised it hasn't breached copyright actually, you know how militant they are these days with that sorta stuff.
The Spectangle one of Devonport's was the Carlton song "We're the team that never lets you down, we're the only team from Devonport Town" etc.
I'll have a listed to the others later, North Hobart and South Launceston's were also the same except one being "Red and the Blue" and the other was "Red, White and Blue".

Also - 1972 Season uploaded here
Looks like some of these articles will lose some pics and logos, some of these fat-fingered, nerdy little virgin foreigner Wiki-editors sitting there behind their PC's pulling their willies because "Oooooooh-ooooh look, look I made an edit!" keep mucking about with them.
Gives me the ******* shits. Useless fat ***** oughtta get a job.

The Tasmanian library has all the club songs, well most anyway, they have asked me to get the permission of the company that released them, but I have contacted them twice and their phone is disconnected....since then the State Library has not replied to my questions about paying to have them placed on Cds.

Cameron Day at AFL Tasmania was nice enough to do a CD and send them to me, at a price which was pretty cheap really.

The Devonport one is pretty shocking, the Burnie one sounds horrible, not the song just the sound it sounds like it was recorded from either an old cassette turned up loud, or from the speakers at the ground, but the sounds is horrendous.

Perhaps AFL Tas can have someone redo the songs...

And I have had the same problems editing the pages on wikipedia someone comes along and edits them to some other s**t someone deleted the James Faulkner page on there even though he was playing for the Tasmanian Tigers....

I've seen in a few places that the Bellerive attendance record for a H&A game is listed as 5,075 for the Clarence/North Hobart undefeated top of the table clash in 1987 yet there seems to be a higher figure from 1970 in round 10. Are you checking for ground records in your work, Kingpin?

I've seen in a few places that the Bellerive attendance record for a H&A game is listed as 5,075 for the Clarence/North Hobart undefeated top of the table clash in 1987 yet there seems to be a higher figure from 1970 in round 10. Are you checking for ground records in your work, Kingpin?

You noticed that too Tim? It struck me as soon as I read that at the Library :) 5,157
Looking back, there's been a lot of conflicting info especially in the latter years in regard to all the crowd records etc, so that's another reason why I'll go right back as far as possible to check them all.

Ground records from the old TFL (from what is known so far):
• Bellerive Oval - 5,157 - Clarence v New Norfolk - 6 June 1970
• Boyer Oval - 4,710 - New Norfolk v Clarence - 1965
• Queenborough Oval - 6,070 - Sandy Bay v Glenorchy - 1964
• KGV Park - 6,520 - Glenorchy v Clarence - 1966
• North Hobart Oval - 24,968 - Clarence v Glenorchy - 22 September 1979
• York Park - 6,755 - Nth Launceston v Nth Hobart - 2 September 1989
• West Park - 5,590 - Burnie Dockers v Devonport - 20 July 1997
• Devonport Oval - 5,576 - Devonport v Burnie Dockers - 30 August 1998
• Youngtown Ground - 1,902 - Sth Launceston v Nth Launceston - 12 June 1994
• Windsor Park - 1,407 - Launceston v Nth Launceston - 18 May 1997
• Snug Park - 2,421 - Sandy Bay v Hobart - 17 July 1994
• Huonville Rec. Ground - 2,038 - Southern Districts v Glenorchy - 17 May 1998
• TCA Ground - Not Available.

The TCA Ground I'm not sure of, it'd be pre-1967 if anything as Hobart were rubbish on field predominently from '67 right through to '85 (they were removed from the TCA in 1982 in any case), could possibly also be a grand final that holds the record up there.

North Hobart Oval's roster match record as far as I've always known it is 8,760 Hobart v New Town in 1949.

West Park's TFL record is 5,590 but the actual ground record is much higher, same with Devonport.

Youngtown's was 1,902 - Sth Launceston v Nth Launceston on 12 June 1994, that record was beaten in the NTFL in 1999 when South hosted Ulverstone to a crowd of 2,100 I read in my travels.

Windsor Park TFL record is 1,407 - that was the only TFL game at that venue that drew over 1,000 people, the next best was 963.

Interesting to note that last year's TSL Grand Final set a domestic club match record attendance for Bellerive Oval as well (7,534).

I started going to the footy in about 1977 and the largest crowd at Q'borough I was part of was just on 2,000 for a Clarence game and the atmosphere was intimate and superb. I can't imagine what it would have been like to have 6,000 in the ground. The atmosphere would have been electric.

Ditto Boyer, ... I was there one year when 2,900 were there and that was pretty good too. Any idea when they built the grandstand at Boyer? Was it before 1965 and the record crowd? Does anyone know?

Bellerive Oval - 5,157 - Clarence v New Norfolk - 6 June 1970
• North Hobart Oval - 24,968 - Clarence v Glenorchy - 22 September 1979
• York Park - 6,755 - Nth Launceston v Nth Hobart - 2 September 1989
• West Park - 5,590 - Burnie Dockers v Devonport - 20 July 1997
• Devonport Oval - 5,576 - Devonport v Burnie Dockers - 30 August 1998
• Youngtown Ground - 1,902 - Sth Launceston v Nth Launceston - 12 June 1994
• Windsor Park - 1,407 - Launceston v Nth Launceston - 18 May 1997
• Snug Park - 2,421 - Sandy Bay v Hobart - 17 July 1994
• Huonville Rec. Ground - 2,038 - Southern Districts v Glenorchy - 17 May 1998
• TCA Ground - Not Available.

Forgot KGV there.

I started going to the footy in about 1977 and the largest crowd at Q'borough I was part of was just on 2,000 for a Clarence game and the atmosphere was intimate and superb. I can't imagine what it would have been like to have 6,000 in the ground. The atmosphere would have been electric.
I used to love watching footy down at Queenborough.
I remember the walk down the Nelson Road, you could smell the turf wafting up the hill.
Get a decent crowd in there and the atmosphere was cracking. :thumbsu:
Not sure what the best crowd was to a game I went to there, I would probably reckon the Round 2, 1986 match when Paul Hudson made his debut as a 15 year old for the Tigers and kick three goals in the 2nd quarter. I remember the roar when he kicked them - huge.
That was the day the Bay players ran out of the shipping container mounted on a truck with Blue & White balloons floating skywards everywhere. :D
I miss watching matches down there.

Tim_in_Philly said:
Ditto Boyer, ... I was there one year when 2,900 were there and that was pretty good too. Any idea when they built the grandstand at Boyer? Was it before 1965 and the record crowd? Does anyone know?
Yes that was another ground I liked going to as well. Most I saw at a match there was in 1990 when a crowd pretty similar to the one you mentioned above turned out to watch Chissa's Eagles against Basil's Tigers, Norfik' winning quite comfortably - Tony Morwood made his debut in the Hobart reserves and took about 30 marks!
Boyer Oval was built in 1945 after one year of planning, it was built by ANM Ltd and featured strong input from VFL experts in its design.
The ground was built with a view to expand for future use, with cricket, Australian Rules, athletics and cycling being the main uses and had a playing field size of 200 yards x 140 yards which was considered overly large by Tasmanian standards.
The L.W.Hepper Grandstand was built apparently in 1961.

Thanks, I am assuming that the Hobart song had the line "We are the Mighty Lions" and you just replaced this by doubling up the line "Hobart is the Greatest team of all".

That sounds bloody ridiculous :eek:
Just goes to show what a bunch of sycophants the SFL were, the reference to 'Tigers' had to be deleted. Vandalism IMO. :thumbsdown:
And to think people actually tolerated this gobschite....

That sounds bloody ridiculous :eek:
Just goes to show what a bunch of sycophants the SFL were, the reference to 'Tigers' had to be deleted. Vandalism IMO. :thumbsdown:
And to think people actually tolerated this gobschite....
Yeah, well to be honest the club were screwed over a fair bit and didn't have a lot of say in anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I forgot about this thread :eek:
1961, 1969, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975 and the weekly updated 2010 seasons are up and running.
Kingpin said:
• 1961 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1969 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1970 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1971 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1972 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1973 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1974 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1975 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1976 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1977 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1978 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1979 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1980 TANFL Winfield Statewide Cup - Click here
• 1980 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1981 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1982 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1983 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1984 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1985 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1986 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1987 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1988 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1989 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1990 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1991 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1992 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1993 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1994 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1995 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1996 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1997 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1998 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1999 TSFL Season - Click here
• 2000 SWL Season - Click here
• 2009 TSL Season - Click here
• 2010 TSL Season - Click here

Keep up the great work - I have 1966, 1947 and 1948 in electronic form if you contact me.

Check out the ladder at the end of season 1973 and explain how Sandy Bay lost the grand final. They finished 9 games clear on top, undefeated, and 12 games clear of Hobart and were the only team in the whole comp with a percentage > 100%.

Also, check out the finals series in 1971!

Tim_in_Philly said:
Keep up the great work - I have 1966, 1947 and 1948 in electronic form if you contact me.
I'll send you a PM Tim, thanks for that mate :thumbsu:

Tim_In_Philly said:
Check out the ladder at the end of season 1973 and explain how Sandy Bay lost the grand final. They finished 9 games clear on top, undefeated, and 12 games clear of Hobart and were the only team in the whole comp with a percentage > 100%.
Sandy Bay there reminded me of John Hewson losing the '92 election to Keating.
One small error and the cracks opened up and down fell all the cards, lost the totally unloseable.
You look at it and think WTF? How? :eek:
That was back in the days though when Hobes very much had a real backs-to-the-wall, fight to the death sort of attitude - especially in big matches where they were the underdog.
It was a very tough club in those days and they had a bit of mongrel in them.
Tim_in_Philly said:
Also, check out the finals series in 1971!
All awesome matches too, hard-fought and the highest margin was 10-points and a drawn Prelim Final, all in front of big crowds.
It was said in the Mercury that the State Grand Final was a massive anti climax to the season, terrible game apparently, awful to watch.

I was going through them the other night, you're doing a great job on them, Kingpin.

Had to check out 1999 again, I remember a lot about that Round 2 clash there down Huonville, mainly for Stevenson flattening Styles right in front of where me and dad were standing and a heap of the other Glenorchy supporters gathering for half time. Stevo may have feared for his life at that very moment. :p

The Grand Final that year you could plainly see me with the white flag behind the goals, got me into trouble at Lauderdale, the reserves goal umpire who apparently did the colts game before and was having troubles during the game before we even arrived (got there midway through the first.) had a go at me for waving it.

Asked the senior one he had no probs.

Just a question, can you drive into Devonport Oval? The last time I was at the Ground was 1992, and do not recall much, well I remember the game, but mainly cause I went with my then uncle who made it a day to forget.

And I am hoping to head to Devonport oval to see the Devonport/Glenorchy clash...since I am moving to East Devonport, and was curious about the ground.

The Majestic said:
Just a question, can you drive into Devonport Oval? The last time I was at the Ground was 1992, and do not recall much, well I remember the game, but mainly cause I went with my then uncle who made it a day to forget.

And I am hoping to head to Devonport oval to see the Devonport/Glenorchy clash...since I am moving to East Devonport, and was curious about the ground.
I would assume you can still drive into Devonport Oval, yes.
Not a huge amount of parking space but there was always a fair bit on the outer side.
It has good stands up there in any case if you can't get a spot, but you should, the crowds aren't big by any stretch.
Last time I went to Devonport was 1991, two memorable games up there that year.
Hobart under Browning gets 49 points in front in the second quarter and ends up getting walloped by Devonport by 73 points :eek:
It was like the two sides swapped jumpers at half time, absolutely remarkable!
Devvo kicked 19 goals in the second half!
Later in the year we had Burnie Hawks in the Elimination Final, this time it was the other way around.
We were 68 points down at half time, had probably our biggest away following ever (all three teams were playing up there that day) and the seniors were booed off by a section of our fans at half time.
Went beserk in the third quarter after they'd got out to 74-points in front and by the middle stages of the last it was only about 3 goals the difference.
Place was rocking!
Tommy Honner gets the softest free ever right in front for the Hawks and goals and there went our challenge, they kicked away in the last ten minutes to win by 44.

Check out New Norfolk's season in 1968 - great value for their supporters.

20 H&A games - 9 decided by 6 points or less, another 5 by between 8 and 10 points, only 2 games with a margin greater than 17.

By comparison, the finals were blowouts.

Looks like Kingpins put up a few more :D

1947 TANFL SEASON

1948 TANFL SEASON

1967 TANFL SEASON

Speaking of Tassie footy articles on wikipedia, I'm going to the library today to get some info on a couple of southern leagues and I'll create wikipedia pages for them tonight.

Good stuff! :thumbsu:
Yeah, it's hard getting time to do all the articles with juggling a full time job and all sorts of other bizzo getting in the way, but it's progressing nicely.
I did the first article last year the day Clarence played North in that wet final over at Bellerive so, we've got 1947, 1948, 1961 and 1967-2000 plus 2009-2010 as well as the SFL, WTFA, ODFA, tidy-up of the Old Scholars and NWFA, State Premiership and Winfield Statewide Cup and TFL records, goalkickers and premiers uploaded in that time.

Thanks to Tim In Philly for emailing me the 1947 and 1948 info too :)

PS: Notice New Norfolk's colours in the '47 & '48 seasons there? (And '49 as well).
They wore Black and Yellow (same colours as the New Norfolk Rowing Club) until they came into the TFL, adopted Green & Gold in 1947 until switching to various forms of Red, White & Black from 1950 onwards.
Sandy Bay wore an all blue kit with a white seagull on the breast from when they joined until going to the North Melbourne style jumpers from 1967 onwards.
Clarence wore Maroon with a white yoke and a tiny kangaroo on it until they went to the maroon with white Vee in the mid-to-late 60's, adopting the Swans-style jumper to start the 1979 season.

Went to Glenorchy Library today and took some info from the Australian Rules Football in Tasmania book. Im am about to create a list of former tasmanian australian rules football competitions. Will have all the leagues on it but the bigger ones (ntfa, nwfu, Huon etc) will just have a link to main article.

Nice work!
I might see if I can find the old link to the former Footyradio website - it was the one that Kenny Anderson, Dan Garlick, Buster Jones, Merv Yeoland etc did back in the late 90's and early 2000's for the SFL.
From memory that had a lot of info on the old Peninsula FA, including colours, flags etc.
That was how I managed to get all the ODFA info a long time ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back