Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
This should be in the reserves topic but thought I'd make a new thread.

I have been thinking about the reserves topic for awhile and was thinking. How about we have the clubs put the two teams in the TSL and then have the 5 TSL clubs with New Norfolk, Kingborough, and Brighton make a new league. It would be like a sort of SFL premier league set up again.

Tasmanian State League
------------------------------
5x Southern Clubs seniors and Colts

New League
5 southern TSL clubs + Brighton, New Norfolk, and Kingborough
Seniors, reserves, under 19s

---------------------------------------------------------------------
This way you wont have glenorchy going into the SFL or North Hobart and Clarence aligning with OSFA teams and ruining in a way their structures. You get New Norfolk out of the SFL where it thrashes the other teams, into a more compeditive comp. And Kingborough can gain experience playing the TSL 2nds teams before it makes the step up in the next few years. And if the TSL goes bust then the TSL clubs have a league to turn to without changing their identitys and other things.

Of course I've heard that Hobart doesn't have the numbers and Brighton can't obviously make the standard at the moment, so six teams might be a possible number instead of eight.

Comments welcome

It would take a fair bit to make that work I reckon.Not a horrible idea but I don't think it will happen. Piss Brighton off with that theory though, they are putrid. Dodges Ferry are the best team in that league by a mile. No one else comes close.

You do have a point with brighton they are crap at the moment. But the Brighton area is obviously a fast growing place with a young population and Brighton needs to try and use that advantage in the future, and I think such a league as I thought of above would help them develop the area.

And with New Norfolk they deserve in my opinion to be in a better standard comp as they were a TFL team until 1999 and were at least the third best peforming team in the SFL premier league. Sure Dodges are good but we all know they couldnt work in a district league like the one I proposed, seeing Lauderdale needs that area.

You do have a point with brighton they are crap at the moment. But the Brighton area is obviously a fast growing place with a young population and Brighton needs to try and use that advantage in the future, and I think such a league as I thought of above would help them develop the area.

And with New Norfolk they deserve in my opinion to be in a better standard comp as they were a TFL team until 1999 and were at least the third best peforming team in the SFL premier league. Sure Dodges are good but we all know they couldnt work in a district league like the one I proposed, seeing Lauderdale needs that area.

I like the line of thought actually. I dont know what the clubs are looking at (apart from the Glenorchy push into the SFL). But they will need to act soon. If all 5 southern clubs joined in the SFL with the 3 team structure as you say, I think it would be hard to put 'colts' with the seniors in the TSL. Maybe the TSL would be better off as a seniors only comp? Just talking to some club people who think clubs will go broke if they follow the TSL plan. With less teams means less people & less income. AFLtasmania put nothing into the clubs apart from the junior development money. It seems afltas keep all finals,sponsorship,government& money from Hawthorn for themselves. How can the clubs keep paying through the nose to prop up the TSL. The crowds have been terrible of late. Virtually no one came to the North Hobart V South Launy game on the weekend. It cost North money to put the game on:eek:I reckon its about time some clubs spoke up on behalf of their members about this slow train wreck the AFLtas board are creating.

The 5 Southern clubs should just keep it nice and simple and have a reserves competition between themselves. For those that might argue that it will get boring only playing 4 other sides the old TFL ran for years as a 6 team competition there really isn’t much difference.

The current competition runs over 20 weeks (18 rounds, plus state game and split round) so each club should play each other 4 times have 4 byes and have a 16 game roster.

The reserves play each either before or after colts every time that their club plays a southern team which will account for 12 of the games.

For the other four games, this will be arranged when 2 Southern clubs are both playing northern sides. It might require that a couple of games are played on a Sunday, on the weekend of the state game or on the split round, and depending on the roster a club might play someone twice in a row, but it will only be for a couple of games per team at the most. Also night games after a senior game may also be a possibility.

The benefits will be that you are not splitting your resources, your reserve players will not have to travel further than Glenorchy and Lauderdale and they will have adequate weekend’s off in the season to do other things, which will encourage older players to stay on at a club.

The clubs can run the comp themselves (perhaps getting a sponser to defray the costs of umpires) and you will have a top 4 going into the finals.

It’s really that simple.

I like the line of thought actually. I dont know what the clubs are looking at (apart from the Glenorchy push into the SFL). But they will need to act soon. If all 5 southern clubs joined in the SFL with the 3 team structure as you say, I think it would be hard to put 'colts' with the seniors in the TSL. Maybe the TSL would be better off as a seniors only comp? Just talking to some club people who think clubs will go broke if they follow the TSL plan. With less teams means less people & less income. AFLtasmania put nothing into the clubs apart from the junior development money. It seems afltas keep all finals,sponsorship,government& money from Hawthorn for themselves. How can the clubs keep paying through the nose to prop up the TSL. The crowds have been terrible of late. Virtually no one came to the North Hobart V South Launy game on the weekend. It cost North money to put the game on :eek:I reckon its about time some clubs spoke up on behalf of their members about this slow train wreck the AFLtas board are creating.
Yes. In the paper today they announced the official paying attendance for that game.

94 :eek:

Obvious the attendance would be higher once you add the playing staff etc in with that, but those numbers are similar to many in the mid-90's before Hobart, the Bay, South and Lonnie all got out of the comp.
It does make you wonder how the clubs are able to continue paying their way, I wonder how Hobart (for example) makes any coin, they didn't play a game at the TCA for 7 weeks or something.
There's 7 weeks of no income coming in, and then there's poor crowds against Devonport, Lauderdale (twice), Glenorchy etc which would make it difficult to make a profit from.
It's a huge concern, the level of interest in the comp seems to have dropped right off this season after a strong first couple of weeks, it's noticeable in the media as well and I've noticed it around the club all season, the interest level seems to have dropped away totally.
It all seem to happen around the time of Paul Lennon stepping aside because of internal politicking and the reserves mess.

Yes. In the paper today they announced the official paying attendance for that game.

Read that and its bloody horrible. I guess the fact that it was broadcasted and it was south Launceson didn't help but that is bad for what should be tassies highest attended sports league. ABC needs to brocast games with the northern teams that involve Glenorchy, Clarence etc who seem to get decent crowds even with the cameras there. Hobart and North Hobart supporters seem to be able to watch their team on the telly every second week.

Read that and its bloody horrible. I guess the fact that it was broadcasted and it was south Launceson didn't help but that is bad for what should be tassies highest attended sports league. ABC needs to brocast games with the northern teams that involve Glenorchy, Clarence etc who seem to get decent crowds even with the cameras there. Hobart and North Hobart supporters seem to be able to watch their team on the telly every second week.
I realise it's difficult for the ABC with all the gear and staff based in Hobart, but they do need to take a few more roadtrips. No doubt there are cost restraints but for the fairness of promoting all clubs they do need to share the coverage around more.

With the reserves, it is disappointing that the "pulse" of a footy club, which are the reserves players, are being thrown out to local competitions. Most of them are passionate clubmen, and most of them bring dollars to the footy club and bums on seats. They prop the crowd up with their families and friends. However, the situation this year where 10 year old kids have had to boundary umpire and club officials goal umpiring is untenable. So is teams forfeiting matches, or asking U18s to back up and play reserves as well.

The make up of senior teams in 2011 will be interesting if there are no reserves. One of the great things this year has been seeing the youth come through, but I fear without reserves that clubs might sway the way of playing older guys to keep them involved and let the kids spend longer in the Colts.

The TSL is a good competition, but if not administered right it will go the way of the former state competition. Let's hope the interest increases now we're into finals mode.

Ask any reserves player and he will tell you that a 5 team comp whilst not perfect is a better model than what is currently on the table.

That is, either have no reserves or the reserves players train with the seniors and then go off and play on a Saturday at a different club.

Come on, lets get real here who in their right mind would think that a Robbie Devine or Banger Harvey would be happy to play at a different club simply because that is where his home club is alligned to.
These players, and there are lots of them, will simply be lost to their clubs.

I spoke on the phone just last week with a former old Stateside coach who described this decision as "Crazy". He said they are tinkering too much and making a mistake.

AFL Tas did well in getting the State League back up and running. This time 12 months ago everyone was on board and looking forward, now all we can see is a cloud of confusion created by the establishment who has put it back on the clubs to nut it all out.

If someone can explain to me the very good reasons for ditching the reserves, then maybe I would feel better about it, but to be perfectly honest I think this could be the end of the TSL.

And who will be to blame?

I just hope I am wrong.

If someone can explain to me the very good reasons for ditching the reserves, then maybe I would feel better about it, but to be perfectly honest I think this could be the end of the TSL.
Without wanting to sound like I support the reserves going, I guess the argument for retention isn't helped by the fact some teams are struggling to/can't field reserves teams. On the weekend just gone, Launceston pulled out and forfeited their game. Devonport have struggled for numbers. Burnie don't have a reserves team. Admittedly, perhaps the shortage of numbers is to do with the confusion and lack of support from AFL Tas of the reserves. But still not good to have walkover results.

Without wanting to sound like I support the reserves going, I guess the argument for retention isn't helped by the fact some teams are struggling to/can't field reserves teams. On the weekend just gone, Launceston pulled out and forfeited their game. Devonport have struggled for numbers. Burnie don't have a reserves team. Admittedly, perhaps the shortage of numbers is to do with the confusion and lack of support from AFL Tas of the reserves. But still not good to have walkover results.

With the TSL bosses telling players they are not wanted in the 'elite' state league, no wonder they have dropped off. Also not wanting to supply umpires & trying to make them play the early game has also told them they arent wanted. The Mercury editorial yesterday hit the bullseye. The biggest problem in footy in this state is a tired & self interested administration. If they spent time trying to help football rather than bullying & bashing clubs just to gain total control, maybe then the public might start to support local footy again. Right now I think the TSL is on the verge of falling over if AFL tas continue with this elitist pathway rubbish. I'm not even keen to go to the finals since all the money goes into Wades pocket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back