Remove this Banner Ad

Kindle 1 (11/2007) - US $399
Kindle 1 (05/2008) - US $359

Kindle 2 (02/2009) - US $359
Kindle 2 (07/2009) - US $299
Kindle 2 (10/2009) - US $259
Kindle 2 (06/2010) - US $189

Kindle 3 (08/2010) - US $139
Kindle 3 (04/2011) - US $114 (with "special offers", US customers only)

And given the current exchange rate, the Kindle has gone from arguably expensive to most definitely cheap. I ordered mine last night.

I reckon that they are useful when buying books that you will only read once that you can't borrow at the local library.

Dont have an actual Kindle, but have the Kindle app on my iPad. It is awesome. The only way I buy books now. My wife is happy as I dont have to buy more book shelves!

Dont have an actual Kindle, but have the Kindle app on my iPad. It is awesome. The only way I buy books now. My wife is happy as I dont have to buy more book shelves!
I'm a bit the same - sure think Mum's happy that I've got less books around though I've got the actual Kindle device.

Have you tried the Apple iBooks store? I think its range is a bit limited.

I have a Kindle, awesome. Books are cheap compared to buying new, normally $10 compared to $30 for new books.

Since it doesn't use back lighting like a computer can read for ages without getting sore eyes, and the battery lasts for ever. I'm about to go for 3 weeks in the UK, will load a few books onto it and battery should last whole time i'm away. If i want a new book will flick the wireless on and download one.

Highly recommend if you're a big reader. I've got boxes of books i've built up around the place over the years and good to get rid of the clutter.

Three new Kindles just officially announced. These will re-confirm Amazon's dominance in the e-book reader space. All have 6" gray Pearl e-ink screens and no keyboard. I think it's been pretty easy to predict the path of e-readers. Touch was a must over the silly keyboard in the previous models. And colour is also a must and that will happen next year.

New Kindle available today, Touch models available for pre-order and ship on November 21.

Code:
                  [B]Storage   Weight  Dimensions          Cost     Battery[/B]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[B]Kindle Wi-Fi[/B]        2GB      170g   166 x 114 x  8.7mm  US $109  <=1 mth
[B]Kindle Touch Wi-Fi[/B]  4GB      213g   172 x 120 x 10.1mm  US $139  <=2 mths 
[B]Kindle Touch 3G[/B]     4GB      220g   172 x 120 x 10.1mm  US $189  <=2 mths

I think I might give my Kindle 3G to a friend and buy a Kindle Touch Wi-Fi. I had paid the extra $50 for 3G but it's not needed. Previous generation Kindles were 190 x 123 x 8.5 mm and weighed 241 grams (3G was 247 grams).

Our family has a Kobo and an Ipad.

Seems to me if you are price conscious then a Kobo is better value. It's very basic but so is a Kindle. if you have enough for a new Kindle I'd buy a second hand Ipad personally. It's great for reading everything and you do most things a computer can do to boot.

Either way, electronic books are great. Haven't bought a real book in ages.

Our family has a Kobo and an Ipad.

Seems to me if you are price conscious then a Kobo is better value. It's very basic but so is a Kindle. if you have enough for a new Kindle I'd buy a second hand Ipad personally. It's great for reading everything and you do most things a computer can do to boot.

Either way, electronic books are great. Haven't bought a real book in ages.

How have you found it with glare as the iPad has a LCD screen?

My problem with the Kobo is the price of the books themselves, seem to be more expensive than kindle e-books.

How have you found it with glare as the iPad has a LCD screen?
glare is no problem. You can turn it down. it is actually an advantage for reading non-book literature such as PDF etc. I've read for 4 or 5 hours straight and not had any problems with my eyes.

My problem with the Kobo is the price of the books themselves, seem to be more expensive than kindle e-books.

Oh, I didn't realise that. The Kobo comes with 100 classic books already loaded on it free. I'm still working my way through them.

I mainly read classics and download them free. That's another advantage of the Ipad: apart from new books most books can be found somewhere on the net free in various formats. Ipad can read them best because you can zoom a lot better and the screen is bigger.

the screen on the Kindle and Kobo is handy size for reading on the train/ putting in your pocket but it is nice in the end to have a larger screen and sacrifice portability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was considering buying one, but found that around 50% of the books I was buying were older and therefore not on Kindle, and new releases that I'd buy were going for $13-$14 on Kindle and around $15 for the paper version on Amazon.

I really only read American sports books, so if I found I was buying a lot of newer releases I might re-consider Kindle.

Just got one arrive from the Amazon 5 days after purchase - seriously quick service.
Very happy thus far - 1 year ago I was totally all about the physical book but it really looks fantastic.

Big massive plus is the speed of the book delivery from purchase to device (all handled via the kindle itself). Terrific!

I've got the kindle app on my iphone.

Whenever I'm waiting for someone or something to happen I can just pull it out of my pocket.

I have no problem with the size or the lighting and I'm of an age where text size can be a problem.

It's great for reading in bed too. No light required.

Thing I like is loading up on sample chapters. Go find a few books and send samples to your Kindle. Open Kindle up and there they are.

I was considering buying one, but found that around 50% of the books I was buying were older and therefore not on Kindle, and new releases that I'd buy were going for $13-$14 on Kindle and around $15 for the paper version on Amazon.

I really only read American sports books, so if I found I was buying a lot of newer releases I might re-consider Kindle.

I mainly read classics and download them free. That's another advantage of the Ipad: apart from new books most books can be found somewhere on the net free in various formats. Ipad can read them best because you can zoom a lot better and the screen is bigger.

I have a free program on my laptop (can't remember name as at work) that converts pdf, word etc., into Kindle format. Also converts stuff downloaded off Piratebay etc., have only used on books that can't order on Kindle, as more than happy to pay the $5-$10 a book normaly costs if it's available through Amazon.

scored one for xmas, hadn't planned on getting one myself but now that I have it I really like it - downloaded 200 books straight up so that should keep me going for 2012 ! :thumbsu:

What is the advantage of having a keyboard? or what is the disadvantage of not having one in your Kindle?

What is the advantage of having a keyboard? or what is the disadvantage of not having one in your Kindle?

It depends if you want to do much typing on the kindle. The two main times you'd type are when you're browsing in amazon and when you're searching through text for words or phrases.

The first is irrelevant to me as I do most of my browsing on my PC anyway and just get stuff sent straight to the kindle. However I use the search function a lot so having a keyboard is useful to me.

To me, the BIG difference in kindles is Free 3G vs Wi-Fi only. The Free 3G is incredibly convenient without having to bother about first finding a Wi-Fi network and then connecting to it.

I have a free program on my laptop (can't remember name as at work) that converts pdf, word etc., into Kindle format. Also converts stuff downloaded off Piratebay etc., have only used on books that can't order on Kindle, as more than happy to pay the $5-$10 a book normaly costs if it's available through Amazon.

That would be calibre. A must for any kindle owner. As you say it converts to kindle format very easily but it's already incredibly useful for cataloging your library and editing metadata. I find it very annoying to have two books by the same author on my kindle and one listed as by "Jane Austen" and one by "Austen, Jane".

It can also - so I'm told - strip off the DRM protection from stuff you've bought from Amazon.

Thinking of ordering a kindle from Amazon.

Stupid question - how do you charge them up?
Is the power charger a US version or is it compatible with Aussie power points.

Or do you charge via USB?

Thanks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back