Preview 2013 Draft/Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I came in here to suggest Scott Gumbleton. Essendon have a bunch of tall forwards.

I think 30 would be closer to the mark.poor guy can not catch a break

Talk about a guy that can't catch a break - poor old Daniel Menzel :( Fourth knee reco now! That would suck a lot.

I'd be feeling a bit worried if I were Carlton atm after recruiting the same dodgy knees in his brother Troy.

Just thinking about it. I'd like us to take a gun midfielder this years in the draft. Risch, Stanley, Hunt (26 years old) won't be around forever and we need good young mids that can replace them.

I came in here to suggest Scott Gumbleton. Essendon have a bunch of tall forwards.
If he can get through this year without being injured, you'd maybe look at it on the cheap aye. Still reckon we need a 'get out of gaol' type player - dunno if Gumbleton has the motor or contested grabbing ability.

Just saying, I know everyone here's calling for Tomas Boyd if we can get him but i think we have enough talls as it is. I'd rather strengthen our midfield for the future then get another big man who can't get a game.

If he can get through this year without being injured, you'd maybe look at it on the cheap aye. Still reckon we need a 'get out of gaol' type player - dunno if Gumbleton has the motor or contested grabbing ability.
goddard was saying on game day, ppl are not aware at how big gumbos' tank is.. he is easily in the top 5 when it comes to running at the footy club..
with daniher coming in as well he will struggle to get a game. essendon have that many big men its not funny.
was a number 2 pick as well just needs to be injury free, surely we could pick him up for next to nothing as a band aid player, he would take the best defender

(Log in to remove this ad.)

goddard was saying on game day, ppl are not aware at how big gumbos' tank is.. he is easily in the top 5 when it comes to running at the footy club..
with daniher coming in as well he will struggle to get a game. essendon have that many big men its not funny.
was a number 2 pick as well just needs to be injury free, surely we could pick him up for next to nothing as a band aid player, he would take the best defender
Didn't know he was top 5 at the club! That's pretty surprising. Certainly hasn't showed it in games yet (not that he's had many).

Just saying, I know everyone here's calling for Tomas Boyd if we can get him but i think we have enough talls as it is. I'd rather strengthen our midfield for the future then get another big man who can't get a game.
Fair play. I'd prefer to use the pick to get an experienced player from another club. Don't know who... Guess the skies the limit!

Fair play. I'd prefer to use the pick to get an experienced player from another club. Don't know who... Guess the skies the limit!

Frawley has to be our number 1 target, regardless of whatever draft pick we end up with.

Remember guys we have 2x First round picks for the next 3 drafts. We also have to reduce our list.

I think give our highest draft pick (probably in the pick 1-8 range) + a decent player in the likes of a Lynch or a Prestia perhaps ( starting 22 player) - and get Frawley.

Come 2014 we then have Frawley, Thompson taking the 1 and 2 forwards, allowing Warnock to prolong his career and go for the 3rd tall. Bock then is our "experienced" senior forward coupled with May and Day, with cameos from Dixon.

This would then allow us to put Jack Martin, Frawley, and a 1st rounder onto our list in 2014 while losing a 1st round pick + a Lynch/Prestia calibre of player. Pretty good list management if you ask me. But I don't work for the club.

Frawley has to be our number 1 target, regardless of whatever draft pick we end up with.

Remember guys we have 2x First round picks for the next 3 drafts. We also have to reduce our list.

I think give our highest draft pick (probably in the pick 1-8 range) + a decent player in the likes of a Lynch or a Prestia perhaps ( starting 22 player) - and get Frawley.

Come 2014 we then have Frawley, Thompson taking the 1 and 2 forwards, allowing Warnock to prolong his career and go for the 3rd tall. Bock then is our "experienced" senior forward coupled with May and Day, with cameos from Dixon.

This would then allow us to put Jack Martin, Frawley, and a 1st rounder onto our list in 2014 while losing a 1st round pick + a Lynch/Prestia calibre of player. Pretty good list management if you ask me. But I don't work for the club.
Can't we lose Day instead? I'd hate to see Lynch in another jumper. :(

Can't we lose Day instead? I'd hate to see Lynch in another jumper. :(

I don't really care who, but we have more key forwards than key defender prospects to be honest. I don't have a great deal of emotion for too many of our players as there is such a short list of I suppose hero's over the past 2-3 years for the members and supporters to fall in love with. Hope that makes sense?

My preference is actually Prestia or maybe even McKenzie as midfielders are easier to replace as cold as that sounds

Yeah... I don't mean to be rude or anything and your opinion is just as valuable as anyone's, but like, I can't begin to describe how much I fundamentally disagree with you here.

I agree and like the idea of offloading some of our upcoming picks to get a senior player - especially helps with reducing list size as you say.

Giving a 1-8 pick plus a Lynch or Prestia type player is, to me, absolutely mental. Like, it's just absurd to me. I couldn't think of a better way to make a lopsided trade. We'd be shipping away our future. I just hate it. So much.

But yeah in any case, isn't Frawley becoming a free agent? So we won't need to trade for him regardless.

On a separate note, I reckon you're overrating him a bit. Like, he's okay, but he's not a top 10 key defender. s**t, I wouldn't even have him in the top 20. But yeah that's totally subjective.

All good mate, I just think we are in a fantastic growth period over the next 3 years where realistically we don't NEED the 2x 1st round picks over the next 3 years. Lets utilise the currency for something that to me is glaringly obvious in our list development.

To me Bock goes forward when he comes good, the flow on effect from there is Day or Lynch gets the 2nd defender, and May then gets the 3rd...we instantly become better for it, and the young fella's development.

We've got 1 developing key defender in Schade, and a young centre half back in Thompson....then who? We need to give to get something of quality. I'd like to see this happen at least once over the next 3 years as we build our list and it becomes more obvious what our flaws are.

Frawley would be a high demand defender around the country, and predominately in Vic. Was in the all Australian backline 2 years ago at the age of 22, with the likes of Lake, Goddard, Enright, Taylor beside him. Pretty good company. We've got a very short term outlook with our senior recruitment in the backline with Murphy, Warnock, Bock, and Brown. Bock has been shifted to the forward line, as has Brown who probably isn't in our best 22 to be honest. Warnock has just broken his arm, and Murphy is a 3rd medium type defender/back pocket player.

The trade could be something less extreme than what I've said above, but I wouldn't be disappointed if we paid overs that's for sure.

I think too many people forget the currency we have in the 6 first round draft picks we have over the next 3 years!! Let's use at least 1 of them and trade for a hole we need for quality and not some other club's discarded delisting as the Giants have done.

What about a Harry Taylor or Beau Waters? :)

Yeah you make really strong arguments. I would much much prefer Taylor over Frawley.

I'm definitely with you at using the picks to fill a list hole. 100% behind you on that. For me though:

Number 1 priority: big power key forward. Looking for a contested grab and motor. (N. Riewoldt, Cloke, he who shall not be named types)

Number 2 priority: mature bodied forward/mid combo. Looking for experience, smarts, dangerous. (Stevie J, Daisy, Sylvia without the mental issues)

Number 3 priority: key defender. Versatile, competitive. (Merrett, Taylor types)

We also have Cameron for FB who has been showing great form in the NEAFL. Also Warnock is 28 so he's probably got a good 3-5 years at FB depending how his body holds up. I'd like to see Frawley show a bit more form before we through the kitchen sink into get him, but that's just me. :D

Yeah you make really strong arguments. I would much much prefer Taylor over Frawley.

I'm definitely with you at using the picks to fill a list hole. 100% behind you on that. For me though:

Number 1 priority: big power key forward. Looking for a contested grab and motor. (N. Riewoldt, Cloke, he who shall not be named types)

Number 2 priority: mature bodied forward/mid combo. Looking for experience, smarts, dangerous. (Stevie J, Daisy, Sylvia without the mental issues)

Number 3 priority: key defender. Versatile, competitive. (Merrett, Taylor types)

Im not so sure a forward is the answer when we have Bock to be that he just needs to get off the sidelines and on the field.

What's he played for the club 25 out of probably 50ish? He was predominately defence too in that time, and the 4 or 5 games we saw him forward did some great things, kicked goals, provided that target to take the marks. The quality of defenders then flow down so Day gets the 2nd best etc...etc...

with your #2 Rischa, Brennan were that when we recruited them. Brennan has been getting clearances, and Rischa is probably the big under performer this year I think?

Just my opinion :)

Im not so sure a forward is the answer when we have Bock to be that he just needs to get off the sidelines and on the field.

What's he played for the club 25 out of probably 50ish? He was predominately defence too in that time, and the 4 or 5 games we saw him forward did some great things, kicked goals, provided that target to take the marks. The quality of defenders then flow down so Day gets the 2nd best etc...etc...

with your #2 Rischa, Brennan were that when we recruited them. Brennan has been getting clearances, and Rischa is probably the big under performer this year I think?

Just my opinion :)
This is a good debate to have! I hope they are talking about his at club level.

I don't know why you want to turn a career key defender into a forward though. Like, this guy is one. Of the best key defenders of the last decade... He should be played in the back line. And I hope he will.

Risha definitely been underwhelming at the very least. I don't trust either he or Brennan forward though. They certainly aren't dangerous, which is a key I think.

This is a good debate to have! I hope they are talking about his at club level.

I don't know why you want to turn a career key defender into a forward though. Like, this guy is one. Of the best key defenders of the last decade... He should be played in the back line. And I hope he will.

Risha definitely been underwhelming at the very least. I don't trust either he or Brennan forward though. They certainly aren't dangerous, which is a key I think.

Agree on Rischa/Brennan.

Their best football has always been in the midfield, put them back in there? Play the likes of a Swallow as a half forward perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back