Is AFL Free-to-Air Broadcasting getting worse each year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit Stanky.

Samantha_Stanky_(Catholic_School).PNG

4 out of 9 games on fta is better than any other major sport.

There used to be 5 games on FTA when I was younger.

Friday night, Sat arvo, Sat night, Sun early, Sun arvo

When I was younger we generally had a Friday night game that was usually delayed and a Sunday game from the SCG or WA. Then you had the Saturday night replay with about 40 minutes each from the matches of the day. That was it.

I think we get slightly fewer games - but they are all mostly live these days. The commentary in general has decreased in my opinion - too many personalities trying to provide "entertainment", and actually doing the opposite.
yes, yes, yes, yes
just call the f#%king game please. Rex Hunt has a lot to answer for

but yeah FTA is getting worse. its a deliberate attempt to get more people to pay for their footy.
thats why they gave the rights to 7 again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early 90s in Melbourne.

Friday - 2hr highlights at 9:30 (AFL TODAY) if the game was from the 'G, otherwise full game at 8:30 from interstate
Saturday - 90min highlights at 6:00 (AFL TODAY), full game if it was a final from earlier that day
Saturday Night - rare in those days, a Bears game from Carrara once in a blue moon, did happen for an Adelaide game in 1992 during the Olympics
Sunday - 2pm LIVE interstate, 1hr highlights of a Melbourne game at 5:00 (AFL TODAY) OR an interstate double-header

Last edited:
Early 90s in Melbourne.

Friday - 2hr highlights at 9:30 (AFL TODAY) if the game was from the 'G, otherwise full game at 8:30 from interstate
Saturday - 90min highlights at 6:00 (AFL TODAY), full game if it was a final from earlier that day
Saturday Night - rare in those days, a Bears game from Carrara once in a blue moon, did happen for an Adelaide game in 1992 during the Olympics
Sunday - 2pm LIVE interstate, 1hr highlights of a Melbourne game at 5:00 (AFL TODAY) OR an interstate double-header

How did the schedule go back in the late 90s. I remember 7 would probably do something like

Friday 8.30pm
Saturday- Show an arvo game but can't remember if it was live or not followed by a night game.
Sunday- They sometimes would show a double header if there was a game in Perh didnt they.

I liked how 9 would show the sunday early arvo game live at 1.10 then a highlights show after it for the game that started later. Tony Jones used to host it.

I liked how 9 would show the sunday early arvo game live at 1.10 then a highlights show after it for the game that started later. Tony Jones used to host it.
Was a pain in the ass in the northern states, as the NRL would be on at 4pm and the AFL game shown at this time in Melbourne would be shown at midnight or so

Wouldn't let Fox show a replay until 8.30pm either

Was a pain in the ass in the northern states, as the NRL would be on at 4pm and the AFL game shown at this time in Melbourne would be shown at midnight or so

Wouldn't let Fox show a replay until 8.30pm either

Dont 9 show one live NRL game on a Friday night (say if the broncos were playing) and a replay after it for the sydney teams.

Seems like if you love NRL in the Northern states channel 9 do a fair bit to show them. So disappointed i don't have foxtel to watch the extra 5 games 7 miss out on.

How did the schedule go back in the late 90s. I remember 7 would probably do something like

Friday 8.30pm
Saturday- Show an arvo game but can't remember if it was live or not followed by a night game.
Sunday- They sometimes would show a double header if there was a game in Perh didnt they.

I think by the late 90s...

The Friday Night game was shown in full from 8:30, but it was only LIVE if the game was from interstate.
The Saturday arvo highlights show got pushed forward BEFORE the 6pm News and was now 2 hours long.
Saturday Night games were a regular fixture by this point, a game was shown in full at 7:30pm, and sometime a late night replay of another Saturday Night game if the Ch 7 schedule allowed for it
Sunday was still pretty much the same as the early 90s, the only difference being was that the telecast had to be wrapped up before the 6pm news, so if it was an interstate double header, the first game would start really early at 12:30pm. I think there was even a pre-game show at noon, may have been called "AFL Gameday" too.

Dont 9 show one live NRL game on a Friday night (say if the broncos were playing) and a replay after it for the sydney teams.

Seems like if you love NRL in the Northern states channel 9 do a fair bit to show them. So disappointed i don't have foxtel to watch the extra 5 games 7 miss out on.
The NRL deal is, quite frankly, a joke compared to the AFL one and there are plenty of league types bitterly disappointed in the latest rights deal

The two Friday night games are back to back - normally one is live however if both are in Sydney/Melbourne and daylight savings is in place, they still may not start on TV until 7.30 and thus they are both delayed. There was the ridiculous situation this year where the Thursday night opener started at 7.30pm in Sydney and was shown on an hour delay into Brisbane

There is also one game replayed at 4pm on Sunday and that's it. Saturdays (the entirety, day & night), the Sunday night and Monday night games are exclusive to Foxtel

We get 4 games live per week where I am now instead of the 3 live, 1 delayed, can't really complain but would like to see my team every week (miss getting to go see my team most weeks)

You think this was bad, spare a thought for what I had to contend with as a kid in Darwin in 1996/97. At the time there was only a single commercial channel (Channel 7 in Darwin didn't exist until 1998), and instead of Friday Night Football Channel 8 (now Channel 9 Darwin) showed.......STAR TREK (Next Generation, then Voyager). The NRL (or ARL) coverage at the time didn't start until 9:30.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back