male sports keeping female affiliates afloat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I've watched netball. It's terrible. Fun to play though.

Are they being ripped off though? If so, who by?

I suspect their payment is reflective of the revenue the sport raises.

It's an excellent example for this argument, because there's no significant male version. Maybe there is male netball, shouldn't they be compensated just the same as the females?
I think the model analogy in the OP also echoes your point. But no one pays attention to these things.

Why are male models not afforded the same promotion as female models?

I guess they are catering to the market.

Well, that's apt.

"Structural restrictions" "Not as much air time" "Lack of societal support"
STOP! For ****s sake, when will people realise women will never be on the same level as men because their bodies are not designed to be athletic like men, it goes back to hunters and gatherers (unless you're a religious nutter). In general, men are stronger and faster, it's genetics. Because of this men perform better in sport. Better performers get better rewards, that is fairness! No one is trying to keep women's sport down, they don't perform as well - they don't deserve the same reward. Get over it.

well, i have to deal numerous idiots who are feminists, until it comes time to **** up and wear minimal amounts of clothing to their drug den nightclubs, who talk shit on social media, i got sick of listening to their shit re the matilda's, so instead of attacking them one by one, i wrote one big post.
Duuuuuude, as much as I support your well written original post, this ^ is not the way to go about it.

Duuuuuude, as much as I support your original, well written original post, this ^ is not the way to go about it.
there was much facetiousness in the statement above....

i vented because I'm passionate about it.
i once had this debate with a mates girlfriend, and i wasn't a dick about it, i wasn't being demonstrative, i was using well thought out reasons, and evidence to support my belief, and she called me a chauvinistic pig, the girls we were with all "cheers'ed" her.
i was dirty as, if i can't have a respectful, yet different view on an issue that id like to think I'm quite well versed in, because a woman can simply call me a pig, and be validated.... i mean, seriously how am i meant to take the other side of the argument serious.

i once had this debate with a mates girlfriend, and i wasn't a dick about it, i wasn't being demonstrative, i was using well thought out reasons, and evidence to support my belief, and she called me a chauvinistic pig, the girls we were with all "cheers'ed" her.
i was dirty as, if i can't have a respectful, yet different view on an issue that id like to think I'm quite well versed in, because a woman can simply call me a pig, and be validated.... i mean, seriously how am i meant to take the other side of the argument serious.
I get it man. We've all been there (BELIEVE ME!). Alls I'm saying is be careful using the word "****" and talking about what women wear. These are like red flags to a bull.

Oh Hai Rita Panahi.

I couldn't disagree more with the premise of your post, it beggars belief that some blokes can't accept that many women are pro athletes, and are darn good at it.

Its your choice to watch it or not, but to dismiss their product/competitive efforts and achievements just because they are women, is just idiotic.

FWIW I reckon Serena Williams would beat the crap out of Bernard Tomic, and just about all the male players outside the top five, on the world's professional tennis circuit.
This is laughable, you do realise any men's player within the top 100 would wipe the floor with Serena Williams?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karsten_Braasch

Shit Thread, please lock mods ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been in many of these situations. If you don't care about how you will be judged AND have the strength of your convictions, then tell everybody to get ****ed. Otherwise, walk away, coz you can't win.

I get it man. We've all been there (BELIEVE ME!). Alls I'm saying is be careful using the word "****" and talking about what women wear. These are like red flags to a bull.
well i know for a fact that they do dress poorly, and a couple of them, have gone to said clubs, gotten high, and taken multiple decks at the same time.

but thats neither here nor there.

Just to throw something into the mix, how much do the Kookaburras and Hockeyroos get paid?

I don't know, but I'm guessing it's not much and the two aren't that far apart.

I like hockey and played it as a kid, but it doesn't have the profile and commercial appeal of other sports. Is it OK that both our men and women don't make a living out of the sport? Or is it only a problem if the men make a killing and the women make peanuts?

Men support men's sport. Women support men's sport. A few women and even less men support women's sport. Where do people think more money for women's sport should/will come from? It doesn't come from men or women putting it into the sport because they just don't. It doesn't come from corporate sponsors putting it into the sport because they just don't. It either comes from government, wealthy individuals and companies happy to invest for personal interest rather than commercial return or out of income generated from the male equivalent of whatever sport it is. This isn't an offensive viewpoint, it's just how it is. Anyone who wants more money in women's sport is more than welcome to go and buy tickets to the ANZ Championship or the W-League etc.

The only sport that immediately springs to mind with pay parity is Grand Slam tennis, which is ridiculous because the men play 5 sets to 3 anyway. This pay equality is only in place because men and women share tournaments and there is sufficient income generated by the men that the slams have caved into political pressure. It's a disgrace how much the winner of the women's singles is paid at the Australian Open relative to the winner of the doubles competitions. Apparently commercial value and number of sets played don't matter when it comes to doubles...

Shit Thread, please lock mods ..
i feel as if you only find it siht because you have been absolutely flattened by all and sundry.

its a genuine topic, in our sport, and in others, and is worth debating, facts, stats, and prose have been used to convey beliefs, i don't think it should be shut.

Say whaaaat? What'd I miss?

Are you saying there has been a female Formula 1 driver?
Several.

None have been any good though or had lasting careers, so it's not surprising that people don't know.

Michele Mouton came 2nd in the top tier rally championship back in the 80's. She's part of a really good documentary on the Group B rally car eras that is worth a watch (can't recall the name though).

I guess Danica Patrick has made herself a good career with a few highlights.

I think there's been a few women who have done well in European touring cars too.

Several.

None have been any good though or had lasting careers, so it's not surprising that people don't know.

Michele Mouton came 2nd in the top tier rally championship back in the 80's. She's part of a really good documentary on the Group B rally car eras that is worth a watch (can't recall the name though).

I guess Danica Patrick has made herself a good career with a few highlights.

I think there's been a few women who have done well in European touring cars too.
...I'm guessing you don't understand what Formula 1 is...

I know Danica Patrick btw.

i feel as if you only find it siht because you have been absolutely flattened by all and sundry.

its a genuine topic, in our sport, and in others, and is worth debating, facts, stats, and prose have been used to convey beliefs, i don't think it should be shut.

Well moved to another board then, Slimmy, cause this thread has really nothing to do with the Australian Football League.

I reckon Ronda Rousey is probably the highest paid UFC fighter but its not like shes fighting Urijah Faber.
and whattaya know, its a sport that has huge external (non fighting fan crowd) interest, sponsors everywhere, huge viewer levels, lots of bums on seats, permanent TV air time, and a high revenue for its athletes as a result.

Have had this as well, being in a group of morons who will self validate their stupid opinions. You're not chauvinistic to state facts. Some people don't know the meaning of some words (racism being another people have no knowledge of)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back