News Jimmy Toumpas signs with Swan Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy for us to go after Toumpas but not at the price i think we'll have to pay for him
I think a second rounder is too high, not sure what you think but I think Melbourne would rather keep him than trade him for a third rounder. Of course he's out of contract so we could commit to him in the PSD.

Id be reminding Melbourne about a player we let go when we didn't have to,to make it easier for them and said player to get to thier club. Now im not saying we give them nothing for him but id expect them to be reasonable

I think a second rounder is too high, not sure what you think but I think Melbourne would rather keep him than trade him for a third rounder. Of course he's out of contract so we could commit to him in the PSD.
yeah i cant see Melbourne giving him up for a third, but perhaps a third and a player and some pick shuffling

Are you guys looking at offloading Young still as I know we were interested there.

Gut feeling is if you guys are looking at moving him on, a potential Toumpas-Young-Hrovat trade could be on.
from what i have heard, he will be involved in a trade this yr. It may be to get Toumpas or be part of the Dixon deal (highly unlikely).
I think StK have the most interest and may be a Toumpas-Young-picks trade. I think Melbourne would prefer to get Hrovat however.
I do like that trade - it is a win/win/win IMO

from what i have heard, he will be involved in a trade this yr. It may be to get Toumpas or be part of the Dixon deal (highly unlikely).
I think StK have the most interest and may be a Toumpas-Young-picks trade. I think Melbourne would prefer to get Hrovat however.
I do like that trade - it is a win/win/win IMO
In order of talent:
1. Young
2. Hrovat
3. Toumpas

No. That's the order of talent we have seen. The potential of Toumpas is much higher then the other two. With a few very rare exceptions players picked up that high can play.

In a better system could be a good to very good player.
Was going to say the same, beat me to it. Ive been silly and skeptical about Toumpas, but lets not forget he was a first round draftee, and our coaches are obviously chasing him. Get him at value and turn him into to what he should be. Looking good chookin.

No. That's the order of talent we have seen. The potential of Toumpas is much higher then the other two. With a few very rare exceptions players picked up that high can play.

In a better system could be a good to very good player.
I think Toumpas could be like Polec in the right onfield environment. Apparently he's lost pace due to injuries or something though which some Melbourne fans think might have contributed to his poor development.

I think we were originally interested in Young because there are comparisons to his size and position that he might be like another Koby Stevens.

Not sure if St Kilda could do a deal for Young to be honest if they land both Freeman and Carlisle.

I think Toumpas could be like Polec in the right onfield environment. Apparently he's lost pace due to injuries or something though which some Melbourne fans think might have contributed to his poor development.

I think we were originally interested in Young because there are comparisons to his size and position that he might be like another Koby Stevens.

Not sure if St Kilda could do a deal for Young to be honest if they land both Freeman and Carlisle.
Be good for both Young and you guys if you land him. Has fallen to far down the pecking order at Port. Especially with the sub being a thing of the past.

Be good for both Young and you guys if you land him. Has fallen to far down the pecking order at Port. Especially with the sub being a thing of the past.
We're getting rid of Grant so I can see a player like Young fighting for that spot in our team with Stevens and a few of our youngsters like McLean and Dale if we were to go down that path.

I wouldn't be surprised if we enquired about O'Shea also, with all respect not sure what his status is with you guys though but he seems to be on the outer with Hombsch and Broadbent flying well past him. A bloke at his size and his rebounding capabilities would be useful in our system though.

We need defenders and a ruckman primarily, will be interesting to see what happens though as you guys look to be big players in the trade period.

Why Jimmy toumpas hasnt been good at Melbourne
images

No player with any natural attacking instinct or ability will ever thrive under these two.

Im going purely by what i have seen of him at SANFL and under 18 championships.
Jimmy is a pure winger. He can get up and down the wings, kick long, kick goals, but can win his own footy and is courageous.
I hold fears that he is not that player any more because how could he be that at Melbourne. Hopefully 3 years at Melbourne isn't too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're getting rid of Grant so I can see a player like Young fighting for that spot in our team with Stevens and a few of our youngsters like McLean and Dale if we were to go down that path.

I wouldn't be surprised if we enquired about O'Shea also, with all respect not sure what his status is with you guys though but he seems to be on the outer with Hombsch and Broadbent flying well past him. A bloke at his size and his rebounding capabilities would be useful in our system though.

We need defenders and a ruckman primarily, will be interesting to see what happens though as you guys look to be big players in the trade period.
I'm a big O'Shea fan. Just needs to get his shit together before August. First halfs of the year have been woeful. He provides a lot when he's up and firing though.

I'd be happy to just see Port get Dixson, anything else is gravy.

Yeah I would not be giving up young in a straight swap for Toumpas ...

If we are looking to improve our list moving out a proven guy for another guy who is currently a plodder but may have improvement in him isn't a move we need to make.

Would use Moore to trade for Toumpas. If we really wanted to get Toumpas and moved young I would rather trade Young + 3rd round for saints 2nd and move on our 2nd.

All this talk of polec. If Toumpas gets anywhere near as good as him at Port I fear for the health of all Melbourne supporters - especially considering the reasons they drafted him for.

Toumpas is a great fit. Is a very good outside mid with good pace and high level kicking skills. We need that as well as Dixon and a small crumbling forward. Neade may be able to play that last role but to date has not shown he can regularly hit the scoreboard.

Our second pick is about right for Toumpas.

Yeah the comparison of Polec and Toumpas are way off ...

Polec had quality afl attributes that still looked to translate to afl .. He just had some injury issues..

Toumpas has injury issues but also a question of how well his abilities will translate to afl. Still worth a punt but it's not the same circumstance as Polec at all.

I like how people are using hindsight to judge how we viewed polec at the time, rather than how we actually viewed polec when news broke that he was coming back to adelaide.

It was all "flakey soft injury prone kid, can kick though. Maybe a late pick but nothing more."

Now its all "polec had elite skills and was quick. There was never any doubt he would be a good get."

Pls. Trades like these are brilliant picks for potential ratio.

Yeah the comparison of Polec and Toumpas are way off ...

Polec had quality afl attributes that still looked to translate to afl .. He just had some injury issues..

Toumpas has injury issues but also a question of how well his abilities will translate to afl. Still worth a punt but it's not the same circumstance as Polec at all.

Highly rated youngster for Woodville-West Torrens.
Top 5 in draft.
Signed 1 year extension in 1st year.
3 poor seasons.
Injury riddled.
Wants to return home.
Destination Port.

Tell me more how they're different circumstances.

Perhaps a O'Shea trade for Talia could be put on the table. The Camrys would love that:D

I like how people are using hindsight to judge how we viewed polec at the time, rather than how we actually viewed polec when news broke that he was coming back to adelaide.

It was all "flakey soft injury prone kid, can kick though. Maybe a late pick but nothing more."

Now its all "polec had elite skills and was quick. There was never any doubt he would be a good get."

Pls. Trades like these are brilliant picks for potential ratio.

Reading that Polec thread back just now is super cringeworthy. For some.

Highly rated youngster for Woodville-West Torrens.
Top 5 in draft.
Signed 1 year extension in 1st year.
3 poor seasons.
Injury riddled.
Wants to return home.
Destination Port.

Tell me more how they're different circumstances.
Polec had elite Foot skills, Questionable attitude, Questionable body...

Toumpus has an Elite attitude, Reasonable Skills, Horrible body!

Reading that Polec thread back just now is super cringeworthy. For some.

Polec thread on Crows board is quality reading though.

My only problem with this thread so far is the need to trade Young. If it's just a net gain for a second round draft pick that we will actually use in the draft, then cool. But it's to trade Young and get assets to trade for Toumpas. That is overkill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back