42. Alec Waterman (2015 - 2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks to the East Perth bye, Muddy Jr again played no footy over the weekend. Perhaps it came at a good time for him, considering he has been recovering from a low grade quad strain.

Fingers crossed he sees some game time this weekend and continue his push for a debut in Eagles colours.

East Perth vs Peel Thunder - Round 5 WAFL summary:

Stats: 23 disposals (13 kicks, 10 handballs), 5 marks, 5 tackles and 6 I50s.

It was another solid performance from Muddy Jr after coming back from two weeks off with a minor injury, this time against Peel Thunder in Round 5 of the WAFL season. Despite again playing second fiddle to Colledge in the midfield, who collected 38 possessions in the East Perth loss, Muddy Jr has been putting up good numbers in his first season of WAFL seniors. Whether he has the tank to play AFL at this stage remains to be seen, but if he keeps his putting his name forward, then I definitely see him getting opportunities for the Eagles throughout the season.

Here's what the WC website had to say: "Young midfielder Alec Waterman, who had virtually two weeks off because of a minor back injury and then the bye, enjoyed another productive day around the stoppages and had more than 20 possessions again"

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2015-04-20/colledge-earns-top-marks

P.S. Minor back injury? They said it was a low grad quad strain lol

East Perth vs Perth - Round 6 WAFL summary:

Stats: 24 disposals (8 kicks, 16 handballs), 2 marks, 5 tackles and 2 goals.

It was yet another strong performance by young Muddy Jr, collecting 24 possessions against Perth in the WAFL seniors over the weekend. Muddy is continuing to push his name forward at the selection table with consistently solid games. There were a couple of highlights in particular from the game over the weekend. First and foremost, it was great to see Muddy push forward and snag a couple of goals, and secondly, thanks to the posters contributing on the WAFL reserves thread, it was pleasing to see Muddy roast fellow East Perth player JON for not passing to him when he was clearly in a better position moving away from the contested situation. That suggests to me that he is growing into his role and becoming more comfortable in not only the game plan, but also his abilities as a player. All very promising signs from such a young man in his first season!

Here is what the WC website had to say regarding his game over the weekend:

"Two midfielders who did shine were father-son selection Alec Waterman and Dylan Main, playing his first senior game of the year. Waterman continues to build a strong resume in his first year of senior football, won the bulk of his 24 possession in close, took five marks and also kicked a couple of goals."

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2015-04-27/the-numbers-game

Last edited:

Thanks to Eastern Rangers for the images:

10661673_10153384407408394_7694694376876339427_o.jpg

11188395_10153215113357310_5430423439405026622_n.jpg

East Perth vs South Fremantle - Round 7 WAFL summary:

Stats: 17 disposals (9 kicks, 8 handballs), 4 marks, 3 tackles and 1 goal.

Muddy Jr had 17 disposals and a goal in a 13 point loss to South Freo over the weekend. While his numbers were not as impressive as previous games this year, it was a reasonable outing considering that he was splitting his time between the guts and up forward. According to ER and other posters from the WAFL thread, Muddy was not playing to his strengths (i.e. on the inside), and while he was getting to the right spots, he was getting to contests late and putting in a lot of gut running for little to no reward. Of note, was that although he only had 4 touches to half time, he was able to step it up in the second half and finish strongly. Hopefully he can put in a good performance next weekend and continue pushing for a Eagles debut.

Is he going to end up an in and under Patrick Cripps type?
Similar type yes, I do see him as that inside bull at stoppages, however without the height Cripps has though. If Waterman can build up his tank I think we have got a real steal on our hands.

East Perth vs West Perth - Round 8 WAFL summary:

Stats: 28 disposals (16 kicks, 12 handballs), 3 marks, 3 tackles and 4 i50s.

Stat-wise, it was Muddy Jr's best performance over the weekend in a 38 point loss to West Perth over the weekend, picking up 28 disposals and a solid 4 i50 deliveries. Unfortunately, while his numbers were up this week, he was still laboring fitness-wise and look fatigued after half time, only picking up another 9 possessions compared to the 19 he collected at the half. That being said, Muddy is coming along brilliantly in his first season and looks like he is a good shot at a debut for the Eagles in the coming weeks should he be called upon. I'd love to see him line up as a sub in the game this weekend against the Suns at home, as it would give him a taste of what is required at the elite level without overawing him with a full game against a top-4 side away.

Fingers crossed Muddy can continue this form into the coming weeks. Very promising thus far.

East Perth vs Claremont - Round 9 WAFL summary:

Stats: 17 disposals (10 kicks, 7 handballs), 1 marks, 3 tackles and 2 i50s and 1 goal.

After a great start in the first and second quarters, picking up 8 and 6 possessions respectively, Muddy Jr again tired in the second half against Claremont over the weekend, finishing with 17 disposals and a goal. While the vast majority of the East Perth mids found the wet and windy conditions tough, as represented by the low possession numbers across the board, it was still a little disappointing to see Muddy not capitalize on strong first half and really push for senior selection this week. With a WAFL bye this week, Duggan perhaps tiring and Shred apparently seen walking laps with a hand brace at training today, it would've been the perfect opportunity for a Muddy call up had he played a big game against Claremont. It's not like Muddy played poorly, but it would've been a great time to shine.

All in all, he has strung together some great games for East Perth, so perhaps there is a chance to see Muddy play this week against the Saints. Fingers crossed.

There was a general WAFL bye over the weekend due to the WA vs SA game, so Muddy Jr played no football this week.

Hopefully he comes out firing after the bye!

East Perth vs West Perth - Round 10 WAFL summary:

Stats: 19 disposals (10 kicks, 9 handballs), 2 marks, 4 tackles and 4 i50s.

I was unable to catch the East Perth game over the long weekend against the Falcons, but it appears as though Muddy Jr/Murky (just for you Embers ;) ) had a reasonably solid outing with 19 possessions and 4 i50s. Hopefully he is able to continue building his tank and putting up good numbers in order to push for an Eagles debut!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

East Perth vs West Perth - Round 10 WAFL summary:

Stats: 19 disposals (10 kicks, 9 handballs), 2 marks, 4 tackles and 4 i50s.

I was unable to catch the East Perth game over the long weekend against the Falcons, but it appears as though Muddy Jr/Murky (just for you Embers ;) ) had a reasonably solid outing with 19 possessions and 4 i50s. Hopefully he is able to continue building his tank and putting up good numbers in order to push for an Eagles debut!
Muddy Jnr is a bit boring and plane jane. Will you call Jake Muddy Jnr if he gets drafted too? Murky is great. He's his own man. Puddles for Jake or Misty.....

No game for Alec over the weekend, though no one seems to know why?

Given that he has been playing well, and that he didn't play reserves, I assume it was either an injury or just 'general soreness'?

No game for Alec over the weekend, though no one seems to know why?

Given that he has been playing well, and that he didn't play reserves, I assume it was either an injury or just 'general soreness'?

Someone mentioned he missed due to illness

Alec missed out on WAFL action for the second week in a row, presumably because he had not fully recovered from his illness.

Fingers crossed he recovers soon in order to continue his push for an Eagles debut.

Another week on the sidelines for Alec, must be a serious illness. All the best for a speedy recovery!

Doesn't look so good for my boy:

"Father-son recruit Alec Waterman also might miss the remainder of the season. He has not played since June 1 after suffering glandular fever. He has been training at West Coast but has only been on light duties.

Eagles' football manager Craig Vozzo told the club's website on Tuesday that unless Waterman made a significant improvement he is unlikely to play again this season."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-04/winged-eagle-mcgovern-set-to-face-the-hawks

Unfortunately, I have no real updates for Waterman, he still listed as ill and 'ongoing' on the official injury list.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news-and-video/hbf-health-centre/hbf-health-injury-list

While Alec is still training, it is unlikely that he'll feature again in a game this year. In saying that, I feel that this year was by no means a 'wasted' year for Alec, given that he put in a number of consistently strong performances earlier in the year for the WAFL seniors. He will have drawn valuable experience and confidence from 2015, and look to bigger and better things in 2016.

We've got a good one here, put me down for an Eagles debut next year :)

What does Waterman have to improve on over the preseason to debut next year?

Yeo (21), Duggan (18), Sheed (20), Waterman (19) - Our young midfield brigade is pretty much set for the next 10 years. They're all so tough and strong with beautiful kicks.

Last edited:
What does Waterman have to improve on over the preseason to debut next year?

Yeo (21), Duggan (18), Sheed (20), Waterman (19) - Our young midfield brigade is pretty much set for the next 10 years. They're all so tough and strong with beautiful kicks.
I heard recently he still has glandular fever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back