Toast Fremantle's 2nd pick: Harley Balic

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like we didn't pursue him hard during the year as we would not have expected him to slide to our pick and when he did, we couldn't resist.
He and his folks would not have seriously thought we'd end up with him and then Dad's initial reaction is a melt down of sorts. If Dad can convince him to go home at the end of 2017, he can high five Jesse Hogan at Ceduna.

Maybe it was a joke. Maybe we are the ones overreacting and not Balic's dad.

tJ8smuY.jpg

Great article. Thanks.

I think it's a natural reaction from the mum that her baby is finally leaving and then for the dad to overract to try and "fix" it (classic dad move trying to keep the mum happy) They'll calm down in the coming weeks and realise what a good opportunity their son has be given. He'll get a house with a few of our young guys and have the time of his fricking life. Mum and Dad obviously have the mula to come a visit a few times a year so they'll be fine.

My favourite part of the article was Balic saying his first goal is to prove those who passed on him wrong. He definitely thought he was going in the first round. A chip on the shoulder will do wonders in driving him to succeed. Sounds a bit like Fyfe's selection story.

Great article. Thanks.

I think it's a natural reaction from the mum that her baby is finally leaving and then for the dad to overract to try and "fix" it (classic dad move trying to keep the mum happy) They'll calm down in the coming weeks and realise what a good opportunity their son has be given. He'll get a house with a few of our young guys and have the time of his fricking life. Mum and Dad obviously have the mula to come a visit a few times a year so they'll be fine.

My favourite part of the article was Balic saying his first goal is to prove those who passed on him wrong. He definitely thought he was going in the first round. A chip on the shoulder will do wonders in driving him to succeed. Sounds a bit like Fyfe's selection story.
Maybe dad want to test his son how determined he is to become Afl player with money. If he wanted the money then no point for us to have him anywhere.

How times change - my Mum pushed me out the door the day I finished school!

Then again, when I was born the doctor said "aww what a treasure" and your mom said yeah lets bury it.

Why was my Mum there and why was she spelling her name like an American?

From memory, didn't Crozier's mum have the same reaction?

It's fairly common I think. My mum had the same reaction when I left for boarding school and she was the one forcing me to go!

I imagine once they stop to think about it they would at least be satisfied that their sons are being sent to a professional, well resourced club with a good coaching panel. Poor Pav's parent would have had the double whammy of losing their son and seeing him go to a rabble who had never once developed a player properly up to that point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

his old man didnt mean it, just an "in the moment" thing. when he gets set up here he will love it, what young bloke wouldnt like the weather, surf and babes we have over here.

[/QUOTE]
Interesting that Lloyd rated Tucker about 12 in the draft. We might have taken him even if we had not traded for Bennell. After initially being disappointed we didnt draft a tall I think Tucker will be a terrific addition to our list in the long term. We actually have very few small defenders on our list apart from Spurr. Tucker seems to be more suited to playing as a rebounding defender than as a midfielder.

Interesting that Lloyd rated Tucker about 12 in the draft. We might have taken him even if we had not traded for Bennell. After initially being disappointed we didnt draft a tall I think Tucker will be a terrific addition to our list in the long term. We actually have very few small defenders on our list apart from Spurr. Tucker seems to be more suited to playing as a rebounding defender.

I don't think we would of - there were shorter, lighter options available if we had of kept that pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back