Past Rhys Palmer

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a story that he said racist things.

Problem being I have found it in two places. On here and on Reddit. Both stories match, so it seems likely the same person is telling the tale. In one version, the older one, the poster says he baited Rhys into continued racist comments.

My perspective:

If Rhys did say racist things, then that is poor form. I hope he has changed his ways. But if we are honest with ourselves we know that there is a very significant portion of Australians who believe in racist stereotypes, and there are probably a proportional amount of footballers who do as well.

I hope they all come to the realization that racism is wrong, that the stereotypes aren't harmless and that there is a very real impact on peoples lives due to social stigma. But let's just say I am not holding my breath.

If Rhys does hold those views, he is, to a certain extent entitled to them. Provided he conducts himself well as a Carlton player and doesn't harm anyone, I have no trouble supporting him as a footballer, in no small part because there is little evidence he believes them. If he publicly espouses them, then I will no longer support him.
All we had to give up was pick 135 though, a pick which we either wouldn't have used or picked up a player who will be delisted virtually straight away. At least Palmer is a developed player who has had experience with senior footy. If he does say any racist things in the navy blue he shouldn't be a part of what Carlton is trying to become. But at the moment, I will follow him. If he can play and put in effort to win games for Carlton then I guess he isn't so bad as everyone's making him out to me. His career at GWS and everything he did and said there should all be forgotten because h's a Carlton player now.

That's alright, I will support him all the way. Unless injured, he will be in the seniors for Round 1 & will play all season.

Just to get one thing clear, should he play a leading role in a victory by us, I assume you will not be celebrating said victory.

Not really relevant to what I said, I'll always support the club. Just don't support him as a person being paid by the club I love.

If you want attention, just say so

Don't want attention, this is a welcome thread and that's my welcome for him.

bullshit comment

Fair enough. But, hypothetical, if someone you knew was a racist junkie who used women would you support them?

Poor form 'DVB'! :thumbsdown:

Unlike you to be condescending...

Not really relevant to what I said, I'll always support the club. Just don't support him as a person being paid by the club I love.

Don't want attention, this is a welcome thread and that's my welcome for him.

Fair enough. But, hypothetical, if someone you knew was a racist junkie who used women would you support them?

Unlike you to be condescending...
some of the stuff I know about you should see you in jail

my ignore vault is bursting due to these fake accounts.........
Fake accounts, lies, deception...
We're not making a very good first impression on young Rhys.

Honestly Rhys, it's not normally like this, we're going through some stuff, and it's been difficult since the whole Gibbs thing, there's a lot pressure. Anyway, you don't want to hear about all that, I'm just waffling on....

Welcome Rhys Palmer, personally, I think you're a quality footballer. Will prove a smart move by us. Good luck and make it count...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I was saying...

Not sure what makes you think I'm fake, just a long timer lurker.
you better form an opinion on gibbs fast or it's the vault for you.......!

Hi guys
Have to say never heard a whisper about racism from Palmer and hope it's not true.
This trade intrigued me. I get he probably wasn't required by us when Stevie J played on. We looked a bit wrong, frankly, with both in the side earlier in the year. They seemed to get in each others way. Stevie J obviously gives leadership and that x factor to our forwards and Palmer probably better defensive pressure in my view.

The fact he was called up for the PF makes it clear he was close, and that he had a shocker probably excuseable for a guy playing NEAFL stepping into a pressure cooker final.

I get it was a salary dump no other way to understand why he was traded for peanuts. From your point of view though wouldn't his salary hurt your cap? I know you gave to pay a minimum and bald guess is he would be on $450k?

I just dont get why a club would have cheap room, I do get you're rebuilding but thought any space would be used to retain what you want and the new draftees obviously coming in.
Is it just someone has to carry the colours competently while you develop youth, I do think he's a good option for that?

^^^^^
Our midfield is extremely weak when one of murphy, gibbs or cripps goes down. our depth in midfield is also weak and with the delisting of tutt and whiley we need depth. But also experienced mids to nurutre the young mids we are loading up on in the next 2 drafts. So Ryhs fits the bill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back