Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I love about home brew...doesn't give me the headaches and s**t of normal commercial types.

This right here. Coopers pale ale is the only thing I can drink without suffering bad hangovers.

It's the lack of preservatives in Coopers and homebrew that saves ya as all our beer is bottle or keg conditioned.
Stale megaswill is for suckers :cool:

Here2tellyouwhy I am now the proud owner of 2 Carboys:)
I have just this morning put down another batch, I used some of that US05 yeast you have recommended.

The other still has my Ginger beer in it, there is a thick brown sludge on top of it and bubbles bigger than a 50 cent piece.

It smells sweet and tastes even better, has been fermenting for 1 week now so another couple of weeks to go do you think will be best for it?

Here2tellyouwhy I am now the proud owner of 2 Carboys:)
I have just this morning put down another batch, I used some of that US05 yeast you have recommended.

The other still has my Ginger beer in it, there is a thick brown sludge on top of it and bubbles bigger than a 50 cent piece.

It smells sweet and tastes even better, has been fermenting for 1 week now so another couple of weeks to go do you think will be best for it?

The ginger beer is in the main stage of fermentation. The big 50cent piece bubbles are awesome. So much unfermentable sugars sitting on top adding to the flavour.
I'd leave it another week at least. You'll see when it's cleared up and there's no fermenting left in it.

The second beer with US05 will be a winner. Best packet yeast by far and better than plenty of fancy liquid yeasts.

The ginger beer is in the main stage of fermentation. The big 50cent piece bubbles are awesome. So much unfermentable sugars sitting on top adding to the flavour.
I'd leave it another week at least. You'll see when it's cleared up and there's no fermenting left in it.

The second beer with US05 will be a winner. Best packet yeast by far and better than plenty of fancy liquid yeasts.
x2 on the US-05 sentiment.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

OK guys I'm keen to move onto kegging after my last result of fairly flat beer.

Suggestions on kegs recommended and setups would be appreciated.

OK guys I'm keen to move onto kegging after my last result of fairly flat beer.

Suggestions on kegs recommended and setups would be appreciated.

First question. How much coin you winning to drop into it?
Second. How much room do you have?
Third. How many taps do you want?
Fourth. Are you handy and want to build it yourself or would you rather buy something plug and play?

DanWCE do you use your urn for mashing as well as your brew kettle?

I'm trying to work out what the best approach is for when I start BIABing.

The less equipment the better and if I can mash using BIAB in an urn, lift it out and then crank it up to boil for an hour that would be ideal.

Only thing I'm thinking about is whether or not it can maintain a boil (I've read the Crown ones struggle but the Birko ones are fine) and whether cleaning/the exposed element create any issues.

Last edited:
DanWCE do you use your urn for mashing as well as your brew kettle?

I'm trying to work out what the best approach is for when I start BIABing.

The less equipment the better and if I can mash using BIAB in an urn, lift it out and then crank it up to boil for an hour that would be ideal.

Only thing I'm thinking about is whether or not it can maintain a boil (I've read the Crown ones struggle but the Birko ones are fine) and whether cleaning/the exposed element create any issues.

Yep Im a true single vessel brewer. In laymans, fill urn with 35L water, heat water to strike temp (mid to high 60s) then turn urn off, insert false bottom, insert mesh grain bag, mash in your milled grain, lid on and wrap urn in yoga mat/towels/sleeping bag, stir a couple of times, turn urn on and stir periodically until you achieve 76°, then shut urn down and hold it at that temp for 15 min, flick urn on, lift grain bag out, squeeze wort out of grain bag into bucket/tub and add that wort to the urn, hit a boil, add bittering hops, flavour hops, whirlfloc, yeast nutrient, aroma hops then flame out. Chill (or no chill with a modified hop layout), pitch yeast and wait.

My concealed element Crown used to boil fine. Lately its struggled a bit. There's a guy near me selling element upgrades designed by Crown to be factory swap out type for about $25. I might try that with a disconnected thermostat. Exposed elements is extra cleaning. Warm sodium perc solution and a sponge and my element cleans up in literally no time.

Yep Im a true single vessel brewer. In laymans, fill urn with 35L water, heat water to strike temp (mid to high 60s) then turn urn off, insert false bottom, insert mesh grain bag, mash in your milled grain, lid on and wrap urn in yoga mat/towels/sleeping bag, stir a couple of times, turn urn on and stir periodically until you achieve 76°, then shut urn down and hold it at that temp for 15 min, flick urn on, lift grain bag out, squeeze wort out of grain bag into bucket/tub and add that wort to the urn, hit a boil, add bittering hops, flavour hops, whirlfloc, yeast nutrient, aroma hops then flame out. Chill (or no chill with a modified hop layout), pitch yeast and wait.

My concealed element Crown used to boil fine. Lately its struggled a bit. There's a guy near me selling element upgrades designed by Crown to be factory swap out type for about $25. I might try that with a disconnected thermostat. Exposed elements is extra cleaning. Warm sodium perc solution and a sponge and my element cleans up in literally no time.
And you were thinking of moving to a 3 vessel system why exactly? :drunk:

It seems so simple, so perfect.

Do you use an immersion chiller in the urn? I'm wondering if mine would fit, but the 40L urns look pretty wide, so it should be OK. I'm also wondering if No Chill is just a way easier approach.

Seems like the BIAB Urn is definitely the approach i'm going to take - just not sure how to go about hoisting that mother*in grain bag out of there without a shed with pulleys etc

And you were thinking of moving to a 3 vessel system why exactly? :drunk:

It seems so simple, so perfect.

Do you use an immersion chiller in the urn? I'm wondering if mine would fit, but the 40L urns look pretty wide, so it should be OK. I'm also wondering if No Chill is just a way easier approach.

Seems like the BIAB Urn is definitely the approach i'm going to take - just not sure how to go about hoisting that mother****in grain bag out of there without a shed with pulleys etc

Stainless brew pr0n!! Im reviewing my line of thinking on account of jumping on the scales this morning. 12 months of beer on tap...

Also look at Robobrew. An even more efficient and precise setup.

No chill is pretty good. adjust your hop additions to a bit later and throw a heap in the cube as you tighten the cap.

My immersion chiller fits in the urn no worries at all.

First question. How much coin you winning to drop into it?
Second. How much room do you have?
Third. How many taps do you want?
Fourth. Are you handy and want to build it yourself or would you rather buy something plug and play?
1. Enough coinage to get a good result.

2. Plenty of room in my life for Beer!!!:hearts::hearts::hearts:

3. 2 taps, one for a experimental project one for the usual swillage.

4. I'm no electrician, can fit a reticulation system together or hydro setup pretty good though.............

I'm a Horticulturalist.

Edit: I have a bar fridge, 3 foot buy 2 foot approx that may do the job, can i get it converted?

I started life as a filthy non chilling BIAB'er :D
I made my keggle to suit the lid from my BigW pot then whipped up my pulleys and what not.
I grabbed a few Mayo buckets from Barnacle Bills and drilled a holes in one so I could drop the bag into it and just raise it a tad above the keggle to drain. Often stuck another bucket on top to squeeze the bag out some more.
Used to get awesome efficiency.

SpaceClef I moved to a 3V system to keep up with the Jones' and because I have an obsession of buying brewery bling. But the main reason is the versatility move vessels offer. I used to brew a lot of pertigyle beers as I was lazy and cheap.

Here's some pics of my old set up for clarity.

Keggle2.jpg

Image0262.jpg

Image0263.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Edit: I have a bar fridge, 3 foot buy 2 foot approx that may do the job, can i get it converted?
I'm also trying to suss out a fermentation fridge at the moment. Hard to find the right size !

So I've had a couple of longies of my stout so far and I think I can note a few things for future:
1) it's just too sweet so I'm going to reduce the amount of crystal malt next time
2) not sure the yeast suited it
3) just needed a touch more priming sugar - it's a little too flat still
4) maybe sub a little of the chocolate malt with more roasted barley. It's lacking a tiny bit of that coffee vibe.

1. Enough coinage to get a good result.

2. Plenty of room in my life for Beer!!!:hearts::hearts::hearts:

3. 2 taps, one for a experimental project one for the usual swillage.

4. I'm no electrician, can fit a reticulation system together or hydro setup pretty good though.............

I'm a Horticulturalist.

A keg fridge is practically just a reticulation system anyways and with the experienced you've obtained in hydro you obviously have the coin for it :p:rainbow:

There are two types of Cornelius kegs (ex soft drink post mix)
Coke ones have pin lock posts and are shorter but wider. These are easy to get and the least favorable as they're ****ed to put the disconnects on and off.
The Pepsi ones have a ball lock posts and are very common among home brewers making them easy to swap a keg with a mate, bring to parties, buy parts etc. Everyone has the same gear. Plus you can fit them in a fridge easier.
Corney kegs go for around $70-90 each 2nd hand.
Pepsi 640mm by 210mm
Coke 560mm x 230mm
https://nationalhomebrew.com.au/brewers-library/beer-making/pinlock-v-balllock-kegs

So with your little 3ft bar fridge you'll struggle to fit the keg in. You need about 20mm of space above them to fit the disconnects and beer lines plus some fridges have a compressor hump that really gets in the way.

Any old fridge will do it but it's best to trial fit with at least 2 kegs. Mine fits 4 which is 2 side by side, offset with the 2 side by side up higher on the compressor hump. You'll pick up a freebie off gumtree if you try hard enough.

To build a fridge you'll need a 22mm step drill bit or hole saw and a can of paint if you want to paint it.
You'll have to be careful that there are no gas lines running through where you plan to drill the fridge but you'd be pretty unlucky to hit one.
A C02 bottle and regulator.
2 taps with long shanks.
2 sets of disconnects for beer out and for gas in.
A few metres of 8mm beer line.
A heap of john guest fittings to suit and a check valve to stop beer going back into your regulator.

Shouldn't need much else. I reckon you can get away with $500 depending on what taps you want and the size of the C02 bottle. Still have to factor in the cost of the fridge.

Here's a cheaper set up where all you'll need is the gas, the kegs and a fridge.
http://www.pinnaclewholesalers.com....eer-line-with-3-chrome-plated-brass-taps.html

One other option is a pre made kegerator.

The Keg King stuff is pretty good and the set ups work well. Might have to extend the serving line to balance the serving pressure/pour but that's about it.
They have options from $400 and up.
$600 will get you everything except the gas and the kegs. So you'll be at $900 pretty easily.
http://kegking.com.au/keg-couplers-and-keg-disconnects/kegerators.html

The final option is to just buy someone elses set up off gumtree
Here it's easy :D
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/greenmount/miscellaneous-goods/kegerator-ready-to-go/1127439184
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/redcliffe/other-home-garden/complete-home-brew-on-tap-kit/1127547441
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/yangebup/fridges-freezers/fridge-freezer-kegerator/1127628374
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/balga/fridges-freezers/keg-fridge/1127720004
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gosnells/miscellaneous-goods/kegerator/1127758936

Plus check out these bargains. Gotta be quick in the homebrew world. Everyone's a tight arse. :eek:
Cornies
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sout.../kegs-19-litre-homebrew-coffee-etc/1123509728
50L kegs great for a BIAB set up
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/south-perth/collectables/50l-beer-kegs-stainless-steel/1128220662

Confused yet. I know I am. :drunk:

So I've had a couple of longies of my stout so far and I think I can note a few things for future:
1) it's just too sweet so I'm going to reduce the amount of crystal malt next time
2) not sure the yeast suited it
3) just needed a touch more priming sugar - it's a little too flat still
4) maybe sub a little of the chocolate malt with more roasted barley. It's lacking a tiny bit of that coffee vibe.

Exactly this :arrowup:

Crystal is cloying. That sweet puckering taste in your mouth. I'm not a fan.
Try to keep the crystal to 5% or under of the total grain bill.
When adding malt to the extract kits I'd give crystal a miss altogether as the kits are already sweet enough as it is.

When adding malt to the extract kits I'd give crystal a miss altogether as the kits are already sweet enough as it is.
Yeah I think you're probably right about the bolded bit. I think I read they add crystal to dry malt extract but not sure.

I think it was only about 7% crystal but I've brought it down to 3.5% in Beersmith for the next batch. Maybe i will give it a try without the crystal altogether next time and see how it is.

Last edited:

Thanks for this. Id been seeing on a few forums lots of people adding crystal to their extracts and had been considering it myself, mainly because Id read it improves texture and mouth feel. I'm not a fan of too sweet or though so bringing this to my attention has probably saved me a few bucks on crystal...and more importantly a beer that sits unloved in the corner.

Thanks for this. Id been seeing on a few forums lots of people adding crystal to their extracts and had been considering it myself, mainly because Id read it improves texture and mouth feel. I'm not a fan of too sweet or though so bringing this to my attention has probably saved me a few bucks on crystal...and more importantly a beer that sits unloved in the corner.

Mate while crystal might seem way too sweet to me, to you it might really hit the spot.
No two people have exactly the same palette.
Were born with millions of taste buds and everyone has different ways of killing theirs off over time.

As a fellow homebrewer I'd recommend you brew one with crystal to train and test your palette. It's all part of the beer journey.

As you've Probs guessed when it comes to home brew I'm fairly conservative. Just cbf doing all that work for a beer that I may not like.

Sure we've all got varied tastes, but I'm not a sweet tooth at all. And anything that starts to lean towards that end of the spectrum just puts me off. Once I get on top of my beer stock issues, I was actually thinking of doing some half batches (did a first with that Gluten Free for my wife a few months ago). Getting on top of the beer stock is proving to be a bit of a challenge though.

Mate while crystal might seem way too sweet to me, to you it might really hit the spot.
No two people have exactly the same palette.
Were born with millions of taste buds and everyone has different ways of killing theirs off over time.

As a fellow homebrewer I'd recommend you brew one with crystal to train and test your palette. It's all part of the beer journey.
Should also mention, been thinking about doing one with carapils as well. Just to see what it's like.

Should also mention, been thinking about doing one with carapils as well. Just to see what it's like.

Do it and dont look back.
Any of the pilsner malts will add mouthfeel and creaminess but bugger all sweetness.
Love a vienna/pilsner based beer.

Back