Hilton Cartwright

Remove this Banner Ad

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Thought this man deserves his own watch thread.

After 22 first class matches he now has the second highest FC average in the country behind Steve Smith at 52.

Watching him against Pakistan he displayed an excellent technique and after seeing a few of his big FC innings he definitely has a few gears as he can monster attacks at times.

Forget his bowling, I see him as potentially the long term #4 in the Australian batting lineup, with Smith batting at #3 and Handscomb batting at #5.

Khawaja will come back into the lineup, so he will start out at #5 or #6, it will be interesting to see which way the selectors go against England next summer.

Hopefully the selectors stop considering him as an all-rounder, but more of a batsman who can roll the arm over.

It was nice to see WA give him a spot in the top-order late in the season to showcase his abilities a bit more.

You'd think he can't be far away from another opportunity should a spot in the test side open up.

Should have been selected over M. Marsh to begin with. While the selectors have to be given some credit for the team they selected, picking marsh with shoulder issues over Cartwright because of his bowling is a joke. Marsh bowled something like 5 overs in two tests and his pace was down. Cartwright bowled 4 overs in his sole test. To me it seems that they would have very similar output with the ball. Cartwright would have been a far superior pick due to his batting form.
Picking Stoinis ahead of him is bordering on farcical as well.

Last edited:
Cartwright would make a perfect number 6 at the moment. Being a top order batsmen he has a good technique and imo anyone who plays test cricket for Australia needs to bat in the top 4 (maybe even 5). He also has another gear to go and can hit big so for a 6 that's perfect. Unfortunately Cartwright might have wait another year to get a recall. Maxwell will be given a few chances now and with the Ashes being the next tour(please correct me if I'm wrong), they probably might go for experienced players like Marsh.

Should have been selected over M. Marsh to begin with. While the selectors have to be given some credit for the team they selected, picking marsh with shoulder issues over Cartwright because of his bowling is a joke. Marsh bowled something like 5 overs in two tests and his pace was down. Cartwright bowled 4 overs in his sole test. To me it seems that they would have very similar output with the bowl. Cartwright would have been a far superior pick due to his batting form.
Picking Stoinis ahead of him is bordering on farcical as well.

M. Marsh barely belongs in the Warriors; I rate Cartwright, Bancroft, Turner and Coulter-Nile all ahead of him.

Cartwright would make a perfect number 6 at the moment. Being a top order batsmen he has a good technique and imo anyone who plays test cricket for Australia needs to bat in the top 4 (maybe even 5). He also has another gear to go and can hit big so for a 6 that's perfect. Unfortunately Cartwright might have wait another year to get a recall. Maxwell will be given a few chances now and with the Ashes being the next tour(please correct me if I'm wrong), they probably might go for experienced players like Marsh.

His best bet would be to try and get a county season in this year.

Nah, England are coming here. Then we go to South Africa for four tests babehhh.

We're going to destroy if Pattonson and cummins are tip top.

Chuck mr Cartwright and bancroft in there too. Exciting times! (Please don't bite me in 5 years time post)

Nah, England are coming here. Then we go to South Africa for four tests babehhh.

True but even at home, wouldn't they go with a proven marsh or even Maxwell?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Starc and Hazelwood are fit, it's unlikely that Pattinson and Cummins will ever play in the same side.

A fantastic Shield return from Cartwright. Averaging 52 at FC level at 25 is great overall record too.

Ashton Turner is another who has really flown under the radar. Not really a recognised bowler at FC level (11 wickets @ 40 odd) but regularly bowls in the powerplay for the Scorchers so is capable of rolling the arm over.

742 runs @ 53 with 2 centuries and 3 half centuries this campaign. Had no centuries and 2 50s prior to this Shield season so is definitely one to keep an eye on. Career average is 38 from 23 games so needs to back up 16/17 to get on the radar.

The only position that really exists is the wicketkeeper and has Matthew Wade has demonstrated that can be filled by anyone willing to wear gloves.

Our standard formula is 5 batsmen, all rounder at 6, keeper at 7, 8-11 filled by 3 quicks and a spinner and we alter than when conditions see fit such as this series. It's not set in stone, though. We don't need an all rounder. Prior to Flintoff killing us in the 05 Ashes and Watson showing promise in domestic cricket the fascination for an all rounder wasn't nearly as strong. Even when we had Gilchrist at 6 which is a once in a lifetime luxury we didn't shoehorn Shane Lee or James Hopes or whoever into the test team for an extra bowling option, though we did have Warne/Lee/Mcgrath at that time. Bevan is arguably our best ODI cricketer ever and only played 18 tests because others added more with the bat in tests.

The sooner the selectors lose the all rounder hard on the better. We could start the Ashes in November with Warner/Renshaw/Khawaja/Smith/Handscomb/S Marsh (for example, could be Maxwell given he just made 100) and have 6 genuine batting options, or we could try and find another Mitch Marsh and hope they turn averaging 30 in the Shield into being a test #6. I pick the former. If we need a bowling option then at least pick a Maxwell or Cartwright who has made FC runs.

Yep. Watson was actually an excellent all rounder. I questioned his spot in the side when his fragility meant that he couldn't bowl. His batting wasn't good enough as a standalone feature. All rounders are once in a blue moon.

We need to pick 6 batsmen, plus a keeper. If one of those 6 can roll the arm over to give our bowlers a chop out then great, but we shouldn't be picking blokes chasing this ghost that will never eventuate

The only position that really exists is the wicketkeeper and has Matthew Wade has demonstrated that can be filled by anyone willing to wear gloves.

Our standard formula is 5 batsmen, all rounder at 6, keeper at 7, 8-11 filled by 3 quicks and a spinner and we alter than when conditions see fit such as this series. It's not set in stone, though. We don't need an all rounder. Prior to Flintoff killing us in the 05 Ashes and Watson showing promise in domestic cricket the fascination for an all rounder wasn't nearly as strong. Even when we had Gilchrist at 6 which is a once in a lifetime luxury we didn't shoehorn Shane Lee or James Hopes or whoever into the test team for an extra bowling option, though we did have Warne/Lee/Mcgrath at that time. Bevan is arguably our best ODI cricketer ever and only played 18 tests because others added more with the bat in tests.

The sooner the selectors lose the all rounder hard on the better. We could start the Ashes in November with Warner/Renshaw/Khawaja/Smith/Handscomb/S Marsh (for example, could be Maxwell given he just made 100) and have 6 genuine batting options, or we could try and find another Mitch Marsh and hope they turn averaging 30 in the Shield into being a test #6. I pick the former. If we need a bowling option then at least pick a Maxwell or Cartwright who has made FC runs.

A full pace attack of Starc, Cummins, Pattinson and Hazlewood could potentially throw up a different dynamic, 3 of them "bowling all-rounders" averaging mid 20's.

Yep. Watson was actually an excellent all rounder.

LOL. No, he wasn't.

He was good for the brief period in 2009/10 when he opened the batting and was making 50s and was also capable of being the 3rd/4th seamer.

For the rest of his career he was a bloke struggling to make 30 at 3 or 6 and shouldn't have been persisted with for a decade.

A full pace attack of Starc, Cummins, Pattinson and Hazlewood could potentially throw up a different dynamic, 3 of them "bowling all-rounders" averaging mid 20's.

I don't consider any of them all rounders (bowling or otherwise), but they are more than handy tailenders. When your 4 bowlers average 40-50 combined it puts you in a stronger position then when you have a couple of rabbits, but I don't like the mindset on relying on 7 or 8 onwards to build a total. Mitch Johnson, Warney, Brett Lee, Jason Gillespie - these guys all played valuable innings as bowlers but I'd like us to be targeting 2-300 as a par score from our top 6 with anything on top of that from 7-11 being a bonus.

Someone like Starc could conceivably bat at 7 or even 6 but I wouldn't want him focusing away from bowling.

LOL. No, he wasn't.

He was good for the brief period in 2009/10 when he opened the batting and was making 50s and was also capable of being the 3rd/4th seamer.

For the rest of his career he was a bloke struggling to make 30 at 3 or 6 and shouldn't have been persisted with for a decade.
He ended up averaging 33.68 with the ball and 35.9 with the bat.

Collectively those stats shape up, without accounting for outliers/filtering minnows.

That's all I have to say in the Cartwright thread about Watson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back