Jul 27, 2004
Moana Heights Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Adelaide-crows-logo2.gif VERSUS Melbourne80s.png

Saturday night 7.10 PM. Be There

Well, what a shemozzle last weekend for both clubs. Over on the Ds board they lament that they got off to a poor start and that cost them the game. Our poor starts are becoming the stuff of legend. As neither club bothers to turn up at least until quarter time, let’s just dispense with the first quarter and get on with it.

empty.jpg

As the soapbox is mine this week, let’s begin with a bit of the history of these two great clubs.
THE MIGHTY MELBOURNE DEMONS. (They were called the Redlegs and the Fuchsias before they became the Ds

redlegs.png fuschia.jpg
Established 17 May 1859, which is a while ago now. The MFC has played in the top league in Australia since that time. It was first called The Victorian Football Association then VFL, now it’s the AFL—watch this space when Pear expands the game massively in China. Could be the Oceanic FL? The Asiatic FL? The East is Red FL. All contributions considered.

The first game of sort-of Aussie Rules was played in July 1858 between Melbourne Grammar and Scotch College—yeah, I know the other theories on this, but that’s the one I believe. Tom Wills was the organiser and was the first maggot.

Tom_Wills_1857.jpg

I’m certain that both sides and every spectator blamed him for everything thereby setting up the tradition for maggots that we all know and love (as an aside, the only match I ever umpired was between Army and Air Force at Erskineville Oval, Sydney. I’d played in the early game between Navy and the Cops. The field umpy for the next game didn’t turn up, so I got rung in. I finished that game with a new respect for the umpiring fraternity and a determination that never again would I rattle the pea in a whistle.
Tom Wills more or less invented the game and along with a few others wrote the first set of rules.
The first leagues were the South Australian National Football League, originally the South Australian Football Association (later League) and the Victorian Football Association formed in 1877 (breakaway, League, 1897).
The present day MFC comes from this rich tradition.

And what was the first ever footy club in SA?

Adelaide_SAFA_logo.jpg

Well, it was the Adelaide Football Club formed in 1860. Of course the modern-day Adelaide Crows do not claim kinship with this earlier manifestation. Our club would not be so churlish as to expropriate the history of an earlier club—unlike the mob down the road. But still, it gives one a warm feeling to know that our moniker was first on the scene in SA.

In 1877, eight clubs took part in the 1st season. They were:
South Park, Willunga, Port Adelaide, Adelaide, North Adelaide, Gawler, Bankers, Woodville, South Adelaide and Victorian. (Who let Victorian In!!! South Park :eek:)

The present-day AFC springs from the rich culture, heritage and traditions of the SANFL: a heritage that includes the Port Adelaide Magpies.
Enough of the past. You can find more with a simple Google.

THE COMING
match.gif
Over on the Ds board there is a fair amount of pessimism with many expecting a ten-goal reaming as they catch us on the rebound from our recent embarrassment.

Is it likely to blow out that much?

STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES

They have a reasonable midfield. Viney and Trengove (assuming he plays) are class acts. Jordan Lewis, Nathan Jones, Clayton Oliver go okay. Someone suggested Bernie V to tag Sloane out of the game. Not sure that would work as Bernie aint having the greatest season. There’s a chance he may be dropped this week, although it’s his 200th and maybe Simon is more caring than that. ;) I wouldn’t be surprised to see young Bugg moved into the midfield to take Sloaney. Bugg is a tough nut with a big tank. Any truth to the rumour no Sloane, no Crows? We need our junior mids to lift and take the weight. Also, let’s see our blokes give Sloane some protection if he’s getting monstered. With Gawn gawn (sorry) Jacobs should be a big influence here. We should get a heap of taps to advantage and hopefully our mids can use these. Better delivery from B Crouch would be useful. I know he’s only had a few games, but sometimes his decision making and kicking looks Dangeresque

A problem for the Ds is that their mids don’t deliver well. Hulk Hogan is averaging 2.25 goals per game. Imagine what he’d do in front of a midfield that did deliver well? I reckon our backs match up okay against their forwards, although Garlett and Watts are both capable of kicking a few. Whoever gets Hogan needs to be on their mettle. He’s good in the air and capable when the ball hits the deck and a goodish shot at goal. My bet is that Talia will go to him and either Lever or Hartigan will take Watts.

At the other end of the ground, we look to have too much firepower for the Ds. Something to watch out for is that this mob is number one in the comp for scores from forward-50 intercepts. Frost has given Tex problems in the past, but with good delivery, Tex should be back to influencing the game after a badun last week. Jenkins has had his warmup and hopefully will be back to his best and let’s hope Tommy L isn’t badly concussed. Betts might run riot in this one. Not sure they have anyone to match his amazing skillset.

The coaching panel needs to lift after last week as much as the players. When sides get a run on like North did last week, we need to find ways to stop them. Incidentally, anyone else think we may have won that game if we’d won the toss? They kicked ten in the first quarter and we outscored them in the remainder of the game.

I said a couple of weeks ago that our slow starts would bite us on the bum if a side really got cranked up early. We need to find a way to go with the opposition when the heat and the pace is on the game in those early stages. It is our Achilles heel at present. Pressure and intensity from the word go, fellas.

All things considered: Rebound: Home deck: Home Crowd: Better team....

Crows X 42

Last edited:
Confident whenever we play at Adelaide oval, won 20 of our last 22 games at AO plus 23-12 record against Melbourne, 14-4 in Adelaide. Will be breathing fire and get back on track. Adelaide by 61

Last edited:
Great history lesson. Surprised you didn't umpire that 1st match as well Bear :)

I've lost my mojo. I really don't know what to expect anymore. Melbourne go ok, but not great. They are still finding their feet and suffer from great expectation in much the same way we do.

At home after an insipid embarrassing loss the AFC will stand victorious.

Great history lesson. Surprised you didn't umpire that 1st match as well Bear :)

I've lost my mojo. I really don't know what to expect anymore. Melbourne go ok, but not great. They are still finding their feet and suffer from great expectation in much the same way we do.

I may not be old enough, but sometimes feel like I am. ;)

Same here mojo wise. I hope I'm more into it by the game but that abomination last Saturday has left me flat as a pancake.

Same here mojo wise. I hope I'm more into it by the game but that abomination last Saturday has left me flat as a pancake.
Why do Adelaide have a habit of doing this to us. A loss is a loss. I don't like it. But to lose in that way, allowing another team to kick 10 unanswered goals is just a joke.

Anyway. On this weeks game, we are still the same team as before Tasmania happened. We know how to win and it's a home game. We will belt these guys and bring order back to the world.
Crows by 7goals +

I think Bugg definitely goes to Sloane to try and shut him out of the game. Especially after what happened last week. I have been waiting for this thread. Don't even want to think about last weekend. If Jacobs can give us the advantage out of the midfield dominating with hit-outs to advantage, we should be able to expose their backline. If anyone wants a good laugh, go read the 'McDonald - Australian slang for spud' thread on the Melbourne board. Genuine barrel of laughs, many very amusing posts on that thread. In saying that, Melbourne are a good side with a coach that is trying a few different things. We will need to be on top of our game to get the win. Will be a good game.

Great write up but I just cannot share the confidence after last weeks embarrassment. It was so bad I'm not sure it's a performance you can come back from in the space of just one week. Crows just though because it's at Adelaide oval. Desperately need our midfield to stand up without a big impact from Sloane.

Continuing the historic theme, historically Melbourne have given us a lot of trouble. The games between have been dour, error riddled affairs. We have won the majority of them but you would expect that given how badly the MFC has been run in recent years. The Crows are playing better than ever so I think we will win but I don't expect it to be a walk in the park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As inconsistent and disappointing as the Ds are, I can't see this being a comfortable, high-scoring win like those against GWS, Gold Coast and Richmond. They're going to pull a Paul Roos on us and bring the Crows down to their level, at least for some parts of the game.

We just don't have good first quarters very often. Despite last week, I expect Melbourne to beat us out of the blocks before we make a comeback. Crows by 24.

Expect 30+ win, but more importantly smashing the 1st quarter from the get go. If 64 - zip doesn't kick ya up the arse nothing will.

After being flogged, most teams get smashed by the coach and flogged during the week. This normally results in a very angry side hitting the field. This could be interesting to see what a pumped up angry crows side can do considering what we have seen already. The result against North would have not been ideal for the demons i feel. Could be frightening!

On SM-N910G using BigFooty.com mobile app

This will be my first home game I have missed at the new Adelaide oval.. I will be away interstate relying on live app updates..
nervous already.. just hope we can bounce back and play like we did for those 3 qrts against Richmond

After being flogged, most teams get smashed by the coach and flogged during the week. This normally results in a very angry side hitting the field. This could be interesting to see what a pumped up angry crows side can do considering what we have seen already. The result against North would have not been ideal for the demons i feel. Could be frightening!

On SM-N910G using BigFooty.com mobile app
Dees also lost a game they were hot favourites to win.. they could also come out angry and with the vince milestone that will also lift them.

I think Bugg definitely goes to Sloane to try and shut him out of the game. Especially after what happened last week. I have been waiting for this thread. Don't even want to think about last weekend. If Jacobs can give us the advantage out of the midfield dominating with hit-outs to advantage, we should be able to expose their backline. If anyone wants a good laugh, go read the 'McDonald - Australian slang for spud' thread on the Melbourne board. Genuine barrel of laughs, many very amusing posts on that thread. In saying that, Melbourne are a good side with a coach that is trying a few different things. We will need to be on top of our game to get the win. Will be a good game.
Is this tom mcdonald? Wasn't he regarded as a very good prospect?

Or his bro? The one bicks was keen on drafting. Oscar.

Back