Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Add me to that list mate although your research was of interest.
Fair enough and welcome back!

Didn't expect it to look that way, expected it to be worse than his stellar year but marginally better then 2016. It's only raw data, but it's better than presuming what you want to see it right all the time - present company excepted;)

Fair enough and welcome back!

Didn't expect it to look that way, expected it to be worse than his stellar year but marginally better then 2016. It's only raw data, but it's better than presuming what you want to see it right all the time - present company excepted;)
Thanks for your kind gesture. He has really annoyed me in the past 30 months more to the fact he continually falls over as if he's a lamb playing dead. It's like he's using it as an excuse to avoid doing one per centers , physical work and tackling. Surely this has been spelt out to him by now as we cannot blame the FD for everything. So if it's not getting through he should be dropped just like Miles Lennon and Lloyd have all been endured to suffer.

Thanks for your kind gesture. He has really annoyed me in the past 30 months more to the fact he continually falls over as if he's a lamb playing dead. It's like he's using it as an excuse to avoid doing one per centers , physical work and tackling. Surely this has been spelt out to him by now as we cannot blame the FD for everything. So if it's not getting through he should be dropped just like Miles Lennon and Lloyd have all been endured to suffer.

Brandy is not low hanging fruit yet. I know some will offer up him or him, but he's still mostly better than player 16-22. We've mostly had bigger concerns than Brandy - until this season. And he has lifted his game overall this season.

Brandy is not low hanging fruit yet. I know some will offer up him or him, but he's still mostly better than player 16-22. We've mostly had bigger concerns than Brandy - until this season. And he has lifted his game overall this season.
He still needs to improve his game.

Stop making excuses for this guy. He pulls out of the contest and will not put his body on the line. Offloads the ball ASAP to ensure no contact. I'm sure Dimma did not coach theses attributes into him. He's a pussy.
Bullshit. He runs back with the flight of the ball plenty of times.

Bullshit. He runs back with the flight of the ball plenty of times.

good i'm not the only one who sees it

I've seen him put his body into a contest many times.

Its when he has the ball in his hand and has to decide how to dispose of it, he gets shaky.

Love these sort of crap statements - nothing to back them up, just opinions, and we all one of those, just like we all have a certain orifice.

So rather than just blatantly bag a guy who wears the Richmond jumper (with a fair bit of pride), and without something to at least beg the question based on something tangible, I thought I would look up some of the stats that I consider are more likely to indicate whether there is a bit toughness and durability perhaps in a player.

I think it is undisputed that Brandon's best year was 2014. He looked like he had arrived. There has been slagging of him based on his 2016 efforts. And of course, what has he been like so far in 2017? His stats alone are interesting, but let's be more critical and view them in light of all the team mates around him. Where does he sit among his team peers? I know there will be some positional variations, but let's look at:

• 2014 2016 2017
Contested Possessions (CP) 11th 9th 9th
Tackles (Tk) 20th 17th 18th
Contested Marks (CM) 23rd 16th 20th
Disposal Efficiency (DE) 19th 8th 9th

Clangers (Cl) 4th 16th 14th

When you take away the sheer volume of disposals as the issue, Brandon's figures on some of the tougher facets, he has actually improved his place within the team comparing his best year to this year.

I used to be a big fan of his. His game deserves critiquing as it certainly feels like he has gone backwards since 2014. And he has in terms of volumes. But his quality of the harder stuff may well have improved - and to be honest I was surprised. So have an opinion by all means, but I can tell you it is just white noise without backing up your opinion with something more tangible than your orifice.

well those figures are worrying in itself needs to get to moe conests clearly

good i'm not the only one who sees it

I've seen him put his body into a contest many times.

Its when he has the ball in his hand and has to decide how to dispose of it, he gets shaky.
good player who runs himself ragged and then often runs into trouble and shanks it, brandon needs to watch a bit of robert murphy and rory laird to get his timing, balance, decision making and composure a lot better... gut runners are a rare breed and he is one of ours.. really spewin when yaz couldn't get on the park for us as ellis would have been able to swap it around a bit with him and tear it up. still expecting big things.

Has Brandon development stalled or has he reached his peak?
Stalled I'd like to think because 2014 was a different player in a sheer numbers sense. Either Dimma goes and we see a new voice command new respect or I think he should move on to another coach and Club for his own football's benefit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well those figures are worrying in itself needs to get to moe conests clearly

Not sure what he'd get at Moe. Not as much as he gets at:D Richmond.

I am really puzzled by what the coaching panel may have done to him. OK he's not Elite, perhaps like Astbury he even got a bit ahead of himself early, especially after making the AA squad. Then he gets played midfield a bit and is not up to it, some coach convinces Dimma to play him off half back.

I tell you what bothers me....

We change our gameplan and change players positions. Why not just do one, which was change that horrid gameplan.

Vlastuin would be close to AA at half back. He has a defenders mindset and is very composed under pressure.

Brando has been close AA on the wing but struggled with a slow moving gameplan. Well guess what? What? It isn't a slow moving gameplan stick him on the wing where he can run the opposition into the ground and kick a few snags.

Same with McIntosh.

Also should put Conca in the midfield more often because he was looking good in traffic before the injury.

Love these sort of crap statements - nothing to back them up, just opinions, and we all one of those, just like we all have a certain orifice.

So rather than just blatantly bag a guy who wears the Richmond jumper (with a fair bit of pride), and without something to at least beg the question based on something tangible, I thought I would look up some of the stats that I consider are more likely to indicate whether there is a bit toughness and durability perhaps in a player.

I think it is undisputed that Brandon's best year was 2014. He looked like he had arrived. There has been slagging of him based on his 2016 efforts. And of course, what has he been like so far in 2017? His stats alone are interesting, but let's be more critical and view them in light of all the team mates around him. Where does he sit among his team peers? I know there will be some positional variations, but let's look at:

• 2014 2016 2017
Contested Possessions (CP) 11th 9th 9th
Tackles (Tk) 20th 17th 18th
Contested Marks (CM) 23rd 16th 20th
Disposal Efficiency (DE) 19th 8th 9th

Clangers (Cl) 4th 16th 14th

When you take away the sheer volume of disposals as the issue, Brandon's figures on some of the tougher facets, he has actually improved his place within the team comparing his best year to this year.

I used to be a big fan of his. His game deserves critiquing as it certainly feels like he has gone backwards since 2014. And he has in terms of volumes. But his quality of the harder stuff may well have improved - and to be honest I was surprised. So have an opinion by all means, but I can tell you it is just white noise without backing up your opinion with something more tangible than your orifice.

People saying its only just recent yrs he has been poor or shirked it.
Mate ive complained right throughout about these things it is a common theme with a lot of supporters they only see the good with new players'
How often over the yrs have we seen players talked up big time only to become whipping boys down the track when people start to see things for themselves.

What amases me is i have seen Ellis be as brave as they come running back with the flight of the ball to take a mark not knowing what is coming but he has always always shirked issues in the most unlikely circumstances.

The other thing has been his momentum killing yep he took the game on at times but again right throughout his refusal to takea risk always taking the safe option usually sideways or backwards that in itself is a form of weakness.
You can see it in him he hates contact and he avoids it like the plague on most occasions.

I just don't think he is that good a footballer. Young players often come and have a solid impact because they have a good game, get their confidence up and grow, but the really good players continue on. All players peak or plateau, and both the Ellis's are in that category now. I think Brandon Ellis has been found out, close him down fast and he tends to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible. Not scared to take the hit, just does not make good decisions under pressure. Early on in his career this wasn't so obvious. Today's footy has ramped up in the pressure stakes. You have to be nimble, quick of hand or mind or strong enough to absorb the physical pressure and get rid of the ball properly. Cotchin has turned his game around, even Grigg is very solid under pressure these days, but Brando has not adapted because he is not that good under pressure.

Not sure what he'd get at Moe. Not as much as he gets at:D Richmond.

I am really puzzled by what the coaching panel may have done to him. OK he's not Elite, perhaps like Astbury he even got a bit ahead of himself early, especially after making the AA squad. Then he gets played midfield a bit and is not up to it, some coach convinces Dimma to play him off half back.

who the heck do you reckon that would have been? ffs he was awesome on the wing as a link up player, then we tried to turn him into

Remove this Banner Ad

Back