Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

What would his trade value be?

I just read that Jed Anderson was traded for pick 15. Ellis has shown more than he ever has, could he get us something inside the top 10?

What would his trade value be?

I just read that Jed Anderson was traded for pick 15. Ellis has shown more than he ever has, could he get us something inside the top 10?
Ellis was taken 15 in a compromised draft, can't see him getting us a top 10 in a non-compromised draft!
Jed Anderson for 15...ouch

IMO Ellis showed us he is very capable and could be a class player.

Unfortunately IMO he has been the most cruelled/effected player under Dimmas game plan and stifling of any players flair or run.

I feel sorry for Ellis more then anyone on our list for what Dimmas putrid coaching has done to him.

I think he's been much better this year than in the previous two. Getting less ball but playing a better link up role and distributing. Would like to see him run with it more.

IMO Ellis showed us he is very capable and could be a class player.

Unfortunately IMO he has been the most cruelled/effected player under Dimmas game plan and stifling of any players flair or run.

I feel sorry for Ellis more then anyone on our list for what Dimmas putrid coaching has done to him.
Rubbish. He has always been a soft, outside downhill skier. Dimma got the best out of him.

Rubbish. He has always been a soft, outside downhill skier. Dimma got the best out of him.
Rubbish Dimma ruined him full stop.

we all have our own opinions.

He has been better this year with a new game plan, although a lot of his critics won't say he has been better.

Rubbish Dimma ruined him full stop.

we all have our own opinions.

He has been better this year with a new game plan, although a lot of his critics won't say he has been better.
I guess you enjoyed that one handed attempt at a mark with players baring down on him on Saturday? LOL He is a piece of crap and I hope we get rid of him.

He went to ten contests on Sat night and lost his feet in eight. Needs to be dropped as he needs to learn the basics.
He's been gifted games from day one and never been made accountable for his errors.He now not only offers us nothing ,but is actually becoming costly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess you enjoyed that one handed attempt at a mark with players baring down on him on Saturday? LOL He is a piece of crap and I hope we get rid of him.
One thing I can agree on is that he has was better in 2015 and earlier. Its the reason I say last years game plan cruelled him.

He definately isn't the same player he was. But he did make the AA extended squad for a reason and showed then what he could do.

That why I say it was Dimma and his crap game plan that commenced the demise of Bellis.

One thing I can agree on is that he has was better in 2015 and earlier. Its the reason I say last years game plan cruelled him.

He definately isn't the same player he was. But he did make the AA extended squad for a reason and showed then what he could do.

That why I say it was Dimma and his crap game plan that commenced the demise of Bellis.
Stop making excuses for this guy. He pulls out of the contest and will not put his body on the line. Offloads the ball ASAP to ensure no contact. I'm sure Dimma did not coach theses attributes into him. He's a pussy.

Stop making excuses for this guy. He pulls out of the contest and will not put his body on the line. Offloads the ball ASAP to ensure no contact. I'm sure Dimma did not coach theses attributes into him. He's a pussy.
Fair enough.

A player just doesn't all of a sudden become shit though. There is a reason hes gone downhill.

Anyway he's not the player he was.

He was outside for the last 2-3 years and didn't go near a contest. He was always by himself on the opposite side of the ground for when we did the slow switch and then bombed it up the line to no-one or kicked it backwards again. The times that he is first at a contest, he waits for someone else to get the ball to him as he seems unwilling to get it himself.

His disposals have gone down because we play a more attacking style of footy this year so he doesn't get the cheap sideways kicks. If he stays in the team I would use him as a tagger as he is fit and quick enough to stay with players, it's just a question if he changes his attitude to do the tough things.

In a nutshell he needs to go. He does not fit into the new attacking game plan and he needs to be dropped to relearn in the 2s.

I'd jump at a late first early second for him, but don't reckon we'd get it, his value has gone south over the last 2 years.

If you are building a team for the future you want players that will stand up to finals style football ie run both ways, play accountable football, put their body on the line when it's their turn. Ellis does none of these things, he'll always let you down on the big stage.

Next time I see him put his body/head over the ball nad take a brave risk I'm going to get Hate to make a gif and start posting every one of them in this thread just to prove that Brando isn't the contest shirker everyone thinks he is.

Its when he has the ball he occasionally panics

He was outside for the last 2-3 years and didn't go near a contest. He was always by himself on the opposite side of the ground for when we did the slow switch and then bombed it up the line to no-one or kicked it backwards again. The times that he is first at a contest, he waits for someone else to get the ball to him as he seems unwilling to get it himself.

His disposals have gone down because we play a more attacking style of footy this year so he doesn't get the cheap sideways kicks. If he stays in the team I would use him as a tagger as he is fit and quick enough to stay with players, it's just a question if he changes his attitude to do the tough things.

In a nutshell he needs to go. He does not fit into the new attacking game plan and he needs to be dropped to relearn in the 2s.

Love these sort of crap statements - nothing to back them up, just opinions, and we all one of those, just like we all have a certain orifice.

So rather than just blatantly bag a guy who wears the Richmond jumper (with a fair bit of pride), and without something to at least beg the question based on something tangible, I thought I would look up some of the stats that I consider are more likely to indicate whether there is a bit toughness and durability perhaps in a player.

I think it is undisputed that Brandon's best year was 2014. He looked like he had arrived. There has been slagging of him based on his 2016 efforts. And of course, what has he been like so far in 2017? His stats alone are interesting, but let's be more critical and view them in light of all the team mates around him. Where does he sit among his team peers? I know there will be some positional variations, but let's look at:

• 2014 2016 2017
Contested Possessions (CP) 11th 9th 9th
Tackles (Tk) 20th 17th 18th
Contested Marks (CM) 23rd 16th 20th
Disposal Efficiency (DE) 19th 8th 9th

Clangers (Cl) 4th 16th 14th

When you take away the sheer volume of disposals as the issue, Brandon's figures on some of the tougher facets, he has actually improved his place within the team comparing his best year to this year.

I used to be a big fan of his. His game deserves critiquing as it certainly feels like he has gone backwards since 2014. And he has in terms of volumes. But his quality of the harder stuff may well have improved - and to be honest I was surprised. So have an opinion by all means, but I can tell you it is just white noise without backing up your opinion with something more tangible than your orifice.

Last edited:
Love these sort of crap statements - nothing to back them up, just opinions and we all one of those, just like we all have a certain orifice.

So rather than just blatantly bag a guy who wears the Richmond jumper with a fair bit of pride, without something to at beg the question based on something tangible, I thought I would look up some of the stats that I consider are more likely to indicate a bit toughness and durability perhaps in a player.

I think it is undisputed that Brandon's best year was 2014. He looked like he had arrived. There has been slagging of him based on his 2016 efforts. And of course, what has he been like so far in 2017? His stats alone are interesting, but let's be more critical and view them in light of all the team mates around him. Where does he sit among his team peers. I know there will be some positional variations, but let's look at:

• 2014 2016 2017
Contested Possessions (CP) 11th 9th 9th
Tackles (Tk) 20th 17th 18th
Contested Marks (CM) 23rd 16th 20th
Disposal Efficiency (DE) 19th 8th 9th

Clangers (Cl) 4th 16th 14th

When you take away the sheer volume of disposals as an issue, Brandon's figures on some of the tougher facets, he has actually improved his place within the team comparing his best year to this year.

I used to be a big fan of his. His game deserves critiquing as it certainly feels like he has gone backwards since 2014. And he has in terms of volumes. But his quality of the harder stuff may well have improved - and to be honest I was surprised. So have an opinion by all means, but I can tell you it is just white noise without backing up your opinion with something more tangible than your orifice.

Rubbish post and if you honestly believe all this you don't understand footy

Ellis was always an astronaut ie good in space early in his career he was given it and he looked good but put him anywhere near a contest and he is 2nd rate
the whole team has improved so I would expect his stats to get better but his on field contribution is not worth 1st team selection IMO.

Ellis was always an astronaut ie good in space early in his career he was given it and he looked good but put him anywhere near a contest and he is 2nd rate
the whole team has improved so I would expect his stats to get better but his on field contribution is not worth 1st team selection IMO.
Buzz Light Weight. Love the terminology of astronaut.

We'll both have to agree to disagree then - but at least I've put some flesh on the bones of opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back