Review Round 22, 2017 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Massive game from Beams, BOG for mine. Walker was absolutely massive in the air, fantastic game from him. Squizzy very good too. Few other solid contributors and some very nice sparks from McStay, Lester and Robbo even though they weren't their best games.

This was generally good to see. Our recent history against Melbourne is not a pretty picture, plus they definitely needed the win. We could have crumbled again but instead we just kept coming. Didn't get the four points but plenty to take into next week and the spoonbowl from this.

Allison coming along nicely too, really starting to look like a player too. Last year's draft absolute gold.

I think we matched well with Melbourne, a team in the Top 8 that is young and quick.

We have to stop with this three forward obsession though, get rid of Close who offers nothing and use Hipwood as the permanent forward and Walker as the forward/pinch hit ruck.

Gardiner was really good today and looked like that Patfull replacement we thought he could be.

Overall it just felt like the sort of game we could win probably 5 times out of 10 and today it just didn't go our way.

Now just hoping the Saints pull their finger out and beat North and we can avoid the spoon in the final round.

Edit: Oh and a huge shout out to our captain, gave absolutely everything today! Love ya Beamsy.

I'm really proud of the lads. To be down by 24 in the last and fight back instead of letting them kick away is a real sign of our growth. We made some frustrating errors as usual but it is so easy to see the direction we are headed at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bastinac's first half was great. Surprised by the votes for McStay, very ordinary game apart from the mark.

Well played today, I knew it would be close. Your coaching brainstrust are a smart group and your squad is looking pretty handy.

Lions big improvers next year.

Gees you guys were a pain in the a** to play against today! Credit to Brisbane they really came at us and nearly got the win. I really rate your future and think you could be one of the big improvers next year regardless of the result today. Good luck next week, would be nice to see you get a win before the season is out and build some momentum going into next season.

Absolutely livid. We had the Dees on the ropes, were kicking a stream of goals. The clincher was not the pathetic soft free paid against Witherden at the end with 90 seconds to run to make sure the AFL got its return on its investment into the Melbourne club by ensuring the score was padded out sufficiently to ensure a victory...but 30 seconds or so earlier the awful dropping of the ball by Garlett followed by the most ridiculous dropping of the ball I HAVE EVER SEEN IN AN AFL GAME by Hibberd when it was a one on one with Walker, that quite likely could have been a goal to us, bring us to within one goal...and momentum may well have carried us through to a victory. That, and the pathetic p*ssy chip kick footy by Melbourne with five mins to run. What a bunch of pratts. They knew if they'd taken the game on, we would've had them.

What. The. F**k. Stunned. Shocked. Gutted.

Bastinac's first half was great. Surprised by the votes for McStay, very ordinary game apart from the mark.

Not really (except for the mark, that was good). Noticed him coming off his man quite a bit to help Andrews, helped prevent several goals like that. Our defence is very young and very overworked.

Very proud effort by the boys. They were 31 down in the final qtr and had every chance to get blown away but we dug deep and never stopped trying to win the game. That is a huge thing in any team - the ability to never give up.

We walked away losing by 2 goals against a top 8 team. We're proving ourselves week in week out and will be wanting to do everything we can to win next week and hand North the spoon.

Best 5 for today were Beams, Zorko, Walker, Squizzy and Dizzy with Stef a close 6th. Rich really worked his way back into the game after 6 disposals in a half. His work rate this past month has been elite and there is no reason he can't play his best footy next year for us.

Witherden will walk away learning a lot - he struggled to get into the grove and Melbourne's frantic pace really messed with his game. He is a kid and has shown so much already - nothing wrong with learning.

I am so excited to see what this team can do next year!

Great game.. to get so close against a team who is probably 2-3 years ahead of us is very encouraging. Didn't get the chocolates but you'd have to imagine if we had a full 4 quarters what we could've done. If we get M.Robbo and Allensen back next year to give the midfield even better depth you would think we definitely will be much more competitive.

Close offered next to nothing again. Walker's resurgence makes Close look like he's playing in park footy.

A lot to look forward to, yeah we lost and yeah we coulda stolen that (Lewy kick inside 50 which cost us a goal the other end) but 1 or 2 more years and 40 games under the belt for a few of the boys and I have no doubt, if they stick together, we'll be pushing for Sept action.

Melbourne will be out the first week of finals; making up numbers.

Back