Review Round 22, 2017 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Great effort - but then you think 'if only'. But that's good. Learning to develop expectations again. But please no more loopy hospital handballs. With just a little more experience. we could have had many more goals. And helping out the key defenders. A la Darryl White. Leave your man and kill the contest.

And .. yes those Demon fans. A touch of Trumpish braggadocio. I'll give them this one ( sentimental ) but next time.

In all seriousness though, what are your issues with Fagan? I couldn't be happier with his appointment. Blokes like Taylor and Robbo who IMO were going backwards last year have had career best seasons and taking some really positive steps forward. Players and supporters now have a real sense of belief, which I believe is largely due to Fagan's influence. He seems like a wonderful teacher and a father figure who encourages our players to play to their strengths. Not having a crack as we are all entitled to our opinion, but just interested to hear your thoughts on why u think he is not the right man for the job?

Pretty sure his comments were just a piss take. Unless Ruse is actually Leppa or Voss.

Was at the game today. The extra handballs we give to a bloke under more pressure than what he is kills us sometimes and does cost us goals which did happen today.

The other point I witnessed today is to do with McCluggage. This happened twice today and I am sure with experience he will learn and be told by his coaches he will be more aware. We kicked the ball to a one on one contest where we were in good position to mark around 25-30 metres (was kicked in high). On both of these occasions McCluggage and his opponent were near the contest but McCluggage's opponent came in and was able to create the extra man over the top to create the spoil. McCluggage was nowhere near attempting to get into the contest but the problem was he allowed his opponent to become the extra.They were standing side by side with each other on both times .I am sure the coaches will show him the footage ( both ) and he will learn to shield or block his opponent away so his opponent cant become a third man up to kill the contest. Sometimes you have to do the unselfish/team stuff that won't earn you a stat but will be far beneficial to the team.
Walked away from the game wrapped that we did not throw in the towel and considering how Melbourne were trying to protect the ball even with 5 mins to go they were worried the way we were coming home.

Last edited:
Was at the game today. The extra handballs we give to a bloke under more pressure than what he is kills us sometimes and does cost us goals which did happen today.

The other point I witnessed today is to do with McCluggage. This happened twice today and I am sure with experience he will learn and be told by his coaches he will be more aware. We kicked the ball to a one on one contest where we were in good position to mark around 25-30 metres (was kicked in high). On both of these occasions McCluggage and his opponent were near the contest but McCluggage's opponent came in and was able to create the extra man over the top to create the spoil. McCluggage was nowhere near attempting to get into the contest but the problem was he allowed his opponent to become the extra.They were standing side by side with each other on both times .I am sure the coaches will show him the footage ( both ) and he will learn to shield or block his opponent away so his opponent cant become a third man up to kill the contest. Sometimes you have to do the unselfish/team stuff that won't earn you a stat but will be far beneficial to the team.
Walked away from the game wrapped that we did not throw in the towel and considering how Melbourne were trying to protect the ball even with 5 mins to go they were worried the way we were coming home.

I though Zorkos recent comments that a big difference for him this year is doing the team stuff - not racking up numbers himself all the time but doing whatever it takes to help out teammates.

I figure that has to come from the new coaches - either they are the first to push it (unlikely) or they are the first he respects enough to actually take it on board.

If they can teach that to an established player like zorko I am sure the young players are already getting schooled and will develop nicely in the next season ot two.

Massive game from Beams, BOG for mine. Walker was absolutely massive in the air, fantastic game from him. Squizzy very good too. Few other solid contributors and some very nice sparks from McStay, Lester and Robbo even though they weren't their best games.

This was generally good to see. Our recent history against Melbourne is not a pretty picture, plus they definitely needed the win. We could have crumbled again but instead we just kept coming. Didn't get the four points but plenty to take into next week and the spoonbowl from this.

Allison coming along nicely too, really starting to look like a player too. Last year's draft absolute gold.
Allison looking promising where I was disappointed in mclug n witho.

Lester a fumbler and lewy worked his backside off....worth every cent he held us to ransom for.
First time I saw one of my favs live in Close. Too thin and easily pushed out of contest. Fear for his future.

Rocky? A trier but so slow...give him one more season as the pace of the game has left him behind.

Gardiner....our best defender today. McStay n harris did lots of nice things but too loose.

Could do with a line breaker like Hanley used to be. Need more pace next season hopefully Charlie n Christen will be enough.

Barrett, claye n basti depth players only.

Possibly more of a general positive but as we march into the final round of the regular season our destiny vis a vis the spoon is entirely in our hands!

*Not* in our hands is after we win over North our final position (where it is not 18) will depend on how well we win and badly GCS and Carlton lose.

Last edited:
A bit worrying about our KPF stocks in that we have the quantity but not necessarily the quality. On his current form Walker could have a long career (he's only 24 unbelievably) and Hipwood is obviously going to be a gun. But Hammelmann, Freeman and Close don't offer enough for my liking and are just very limited. We desperately need a 3rd tall to stand up next season for us to succeed. The back line looks pretty set at least.

A bit worrying about our KPF stocks in that we have the quantity but not necessarily the quality. On his current form Walker could have a long career (he's only 24 unbelievably) and Hipwood is obviously going to be a gun. But Hammelmann, Freeman and Close don't offer enough for my liking and are just very limited. We desperately need a 3rd tall to stand up next season for us to succeed. The back line looks pretty set at least.

Lol. There are teams that would give their left nut to have our tall stocks. You also forgot to mention Schache. We're half a chance to snag Ballenden too.

Schache?

Lol. There are teams that would give their left nut to have our tall stocks. You also forgot to mention Schache. We're half a chance to snag Ballenden too.

I agree but Freeman, Close and Hammelmann are a fair chance not to make it and the Schache rumours just won't go away. I'm talking about more in the short term though, we need someone to step up next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walker, Beamer, Steph, Dizzy & Lewie (aka Chaos) for me. Kick to Walker down the line you get a terrific contest, Close (or Schache currently) gives little. Giggle a lot at Steph being given a hard time by a few - competes hard, wins contests (particularly when it matters), top 5 for the season. Liked Allison running back through the contest a few times.

I agree but Freeman, Close and Hammelmann are a fair chance not to make it and the Schache rumours just won't go away. I'm talking about more in the short term though, we need someone to step up next season.

Next season? Pretty confident Schache will be there next season. Drafting or trading in talls in my opinion shouldn't be our focus. Strengthen the midfield through the draft & maybe pick up a mature body midfielder to release Rocky into the forward line a bit will see us be far more potent.

I am more optimistic than you l think in regards to our KPF stocks.
Hipwood = gun for the next 15 years
Walker = as you said, on current form can play a decent role while other KPF's take over him over the next few years
Schache = If we keep him, l think he can be a great foil for Hippy. Realistically, will take another 3 years before he consistently starts performing.
Hammer, Freeman, Close = I doubt will be with us in the next 3 years.
Ballenden = Looks really good, the player we have been looking for to be that forward/ruck

Next season? Pretty confident Schache will be there next season. Drafting or trading in talls in my opinion shouldn't be our focus. Strengthen the midfield through the draft & maybe pick up a mature body midfielder to release Rocky into the forward line a bit will see us be far more potent.
100% I don't think we should draft any talls other than Ballenden, you'd hope between Freeman/Close/Hammelmann/Schache/Ballenden/OMac/Eagles and even Dawson one will step up. We need midfielders but they must have speed IMO, we are far too slow in the middle, teams get centre square exits against us far too easily.

I am more optimistic than you l think in regards to our KPF stocks.
Hipwood = gun for the next 15 years
Walker = as you said, on current form can play a decent role while other KPF's take over him over the next few years
Schache = If we keep him, l think he can be a great foil for Hippy. Realistically, will take another 3 years before he consistently starts performing.
Hammer, Freeman, Close = I doubt will be with us in the next 3 years.
Ballenden = Looks really good, the player we have been looking for to be that forward/ruck
Yeah hopefully Schache or Ballenden come through, its probably a bit silly that I'm not rating Schache. He's been average this season to put it politely, but I need to keep reminding myself that he holds the record for goals kicked in the U18 championships, he should get there.

Yeah hopefully Schache or Ballenden come through, its probably a bit silly that I'm not rating Schache. He's been average this season to put it politely, but I need to keep reminding myself that he holds the record for goals kicked in the U18 championships, he should get there.
I think once Schache has a breakout performance he will be off to the races. Appears to have no confidence this season. His and Hipwood's styles should complement each other perfectly.

Cracking effort by the boys today. Competitive all the way. Rocky is undoubtedly broken at the moment. Regardless of position played, he is tentative to lay tackles like he did only a few months ago. Form or no form, a tackle is a tackle and that's his bread and butter and he just isn't laying them.

The other thing I have been thinking but didn't want to say out loud is that I can't help thinking Mcluggage might not develop as hoped. I know it is very early days and he is a kid, but his body type looks like he might always stay slight and his running style looks laboured. He seems to have time on his side, but it doesn't seem to be like a Pendlebury situation, more that he slows play and sometimes closes his options when he pauses. I can see his potential though, so I hope it evolves into his asset, because it seems this and his smarts was what set him apart in the draft. Hope it's just fatigue, and time will tell, but if I'm honest I have thought this from the first few games I watched him play live the Gabba as well. Here's hoping I am completely misjudging him.

Cracking effort by the boys today. Competitive all the way. Rocky is undoubtedly broken at the moment. Regardless of position played, he is tentative to lay tackles like he did only a few months ago. Form or no form, a tackle is a tackle and that's his bread and butter and he just isn't laying them.

The other thing I have been thinking but didn't want to say out loud is that I can't help thinking Mcluggage might not develop as hoped. I know it is very early days and he is a kid, but his body type looks like he might always stay slight and his running style looks laboured. He seems to have time on his side, but it doesn't seem to be like a Pendlebury situation, more that he slows play and sometimes closes his options when he pauses. I can see his potential though, so I hope it evolves into his asset, because it seems and smarts was set him apart in the draft. Hope it's just fatigue, and time will tell, but if I'm honest I have thought this from the first few games I watched him play live the Gabba as well. Here's hoping I am completely misjudging him.
On McCluggage it was always a given that he would be one that would take more time to develop mainly due to his body size. He didn't do a pre-season at all in his u/18 year and therefore is coming from further back. I don't knock him on his lack of contested ball as I dont see him projecting as that type of player. He will in the future be the type who skirts just in the outside of packs looking for the delivery by others IMO but he will out on size, eventually. I disagree with his lack of ability as there have been things that he has done in games, mainly by hand at this point where you can see his class. It's his first season and think that most should relax and be patient. He's going to be a very good player but will take time, that is all. We're all so desperate for our young players to be stars straight away, which would be nice but I've never felt more confident in the crop of young players than I have for the last 5 years or more.

3 very big moments cost us.
Lewi Taylor not capitalising early in the 4th entry.
Mathieson kicking out on in the full to an uncontested Rockliff.
Mcstay letting the ball out the back to allow the Pederson goal.

That said, we were good today. Backline was solid and we looked dangerous going forward.

and Beams' bodyslam

On McCluggage it was always a given that he would be one that would take more time to develop mainly due to his body size. He didn't do a pre-season at all in his u/18 year and therefore is coming from further back. I don't knock him on his lack of contested ball as I dont see him projecting as that type of player. He will in the future be the type who skirts just in the outside of packs looking for the delivery by others IMO but he will out on size, eventually. I disagree with his lack of ability as there have been things that he has done in games, mainly by hand at this point where you can see his class. It's his first season and think that most should relax and be patient. He's going to be a very good player but will take time, that is all. We're all so desperate for our young players to be stars straight away, which would be nice but I've never felt more confident in the crop of young players than I have for the last 5 years or more.
Yeah agree mostly and all the other boys taken in this draft have exceeded expectations in my opinion and have been brilliant pick ups, but I guess it's worrying that the one we had invested the most currency in, is the one that seems to be the biggest gamble and have the most obscurity, particularly when compared with those taken around him. I don't want to knock kids prematurely because it's unfair, and to be honest it seems the development boys have got things bang on at the moment, so I'll trust them that they have recognised his potential.

Back