News Poster's Favorite Movies - Latest Movie Seen

Remove this Banner Ad

There are plenty of quality action movies that have plots.

SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE THAT HAVENT SEEN IT

After sacrificing his son to appease Wick, the mob boss then decides to kill Wicks mate who then of course seeks vengeance. Just dumb.

MORE JOHN WICK SPOILERS

I thought that was fair enough, actually. He was forced to sacrifice his son because Wick had him at gunpoint. If he hadn't then Wick would have killed him then gone on to kill his son anyway. He blamed Wick's mate because he accepted the contract to kill Wick and could have done it, thus saving his son.

The dumb part was calling Wick to gloat about it :p

So I finally watched John Wick, not bad if you can ignore the silly plot and flaws in the story line
meh, I reckon it's enormously overrated.

the premise is actually solid enough, but CG bullet hits well never come close to matching the squibs of the 80s and 90s.

Con air or face off anyone?

Enjoyed both of these, although Steve Buscemi in ConAir freaked me out. I think "The Rock" came out around the same time which I also liked.

Was trying to think what I've seen recently - "The Foreigner" was one - think Taken with Jackie Chan playing an against type role and a lot more political emphasis.

These days I don't go into films expecting too much in terms of plot anymore. There's only so much that can be packed into a couple of hours, and I think TV shows have caught up in terms of production values while keeping the inherent advantage of longform storytelling.

Enjoyed both of these, although Steve Buscemi in ConAir freaked me out. I think "The Rock" came out around the same time which I also liked.

Was trying to think what I've seen recently - "The Foreigner" was one - think Taken with Jackie Chan playing an against type role and a lot more political emphasis.

These days I don't go into films expecting too much in terms of plot anymore. There's only so much that can be packed into a couple of hours, and I think TV shows have caught up in terms of production values while keeping the inherent advantage of longform storytelling.
Yep. It's a golden age for tv while movies are disappointing more often than not.

Shits me how we live in an age where you can stream just about everything but the quality isn't there.

The Foreigner was very, very good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. It's a golden age for tv while movies are disappointing more often than not.

Shits me how we live in an age where you can stream just about everything but the quality isn't there.
I agree but I also reckon we have the best film makers going around.

Fincher for me is probably the best of the lot. Rarely fails to make a bad movie and all are very unique and original. He made a movie about developing a website entertaining. That's a skill.

Tarantino has his own style, and any movie he releases is an event.

I also like Paul Thomas Anderson, and Michael Mann.

And of course, Scorcese.

Would love James Cameron to forget about being so clever and just make another Terminator or Aliens.

I agree but I also reckon we have the best film makers going around.

Fincher for me is probably the best of the lot. Rarely fails to make a bad movie and all are very unique and original. He made a movie about developing a website entertaining. That's a skill.

Tarantino has his own style, and any movie he releases is an event.

I also like Paul Thomas Anderson, and Michael Mann.

And of course, Scorcese.

Would love James Cameron to forget about being so clever and just make another Terminator or Aliens.
Yeah there's still great movies but it's such a small percentage. There's so much trash these days.

Those franchises you mention are part of the problem- they just can't bring themselves to do anything other than rehash the original plot- Terminator Genysis- what a steaming pile!

streaming has hurt the movie business dramatically.

I will not have a bad word said about Keanu on my board. The bloke is a dead set legend.

https://m.ranker.com/list/the-7-greatest-_true_-keanu-reeves-stories-ever-told/joanne?var=5&utm_expid=16418821-323.dUB3PYRUQUqdMnvYrpDlgQ.4&utm_referrer=https://www.google.com.au/

Also, find me a better set of 5 action films from an actor than John Wick 1 & 2, Speed, Point Break and the Matrix.

Historically, I've been neither pro-Keanu, nor anti-Keanu. I guess I'd describe my stance as Keanu-neutral. However, the John Wick movies have catapaulted him up into the upper echelons of Jarman3's List Of All-Time Movie Legends. Especially watching all the behind the scenes stuff about the work he did to prepare for those movies. He worked his posterior off in order to be able to do all his own fights and a lot of his own stunts, too. Real commitment.

He was also pretty much the only watchable part of The Neon Demon. What a turd that movie was. I became a Nicolas Winding Refn fan when I saw Drive, but after he followed that up with Only God Forgives and The Neon Demon, I've chucked him in the bin. Never again.

Streaming, and I'm talking legal streaming, is just a disruptor to the way we view content.

Quality has been going down hill before Netflix came along.
its not just "the way we view" content though, its the way we experience it. You can't make content that provides a great experience on a 5" inch screen, a 50" screen and a 50' screen at the same time. Its the same problem that got the epics trend going in the 60's in the first place and its the point of difference from TV that the movie industry still leans on today.

calling it "content" is part of the problem too though. The Louvre isn't full of "content", the cinema shouldn't be either. Netflix gives you a near unlimited supply of movies that you've already paid for - they become almost disposable in a way.

and great movies are still being made by the way.

Watched Dunkirk this arvo, really don't know what I thought. In some ways it was good but it really didn't hold my attention at all.
Agree with this. Give the hype I tried to enjoy it but was completely dissatisfied. 7/10 at best

Almost impossible to give just 1 Favourite movie.

For Nostalgia: The Goonies, The Princess Bride, Ace Ventura Pet Detective
For Impact: Blood Diamond, The Departed, Taken (1 only), The Dark Knight
For straight up Entertainment: Anchorman, Deadpool, Logan

I couldn't tell you how I would rank those though

We watched "1922" last night.

A Netflix adaptation of Stephen King's story.

It was pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah, I watched that a few weeks back. I'm a big Stephen King fan, I've read pretty much everything he's written, and 1922 was certainly one of the better adaptations (not that that's saying much given how many sh*tty ones there have been).

I just watched Gerald's Game on the weekend (another Netflix one) - that was also a pretty good attempt.

I'm kind of hoping that everyone can just forget that recent Dark Tower movie and maybe we can get a Netflix series of that - maybe even one that bears a passing resemblance to the source material.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back