#27 - Harley Balic - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Damn junkie. Why can’t he just be happy playing footy?! I don’t get paid to play footy and I hate my job!

It's weird that the ones who try an take the morally safe/PC/inoffensive/modern touch view etc seem to be the ones who can't handle contrary opinions. Just because you've chosen what you think is the way everyone should react doesn't invalidate other peoples views.

With each an everyone person that comes out with the mental health line it's losing its effect. No doubt alot of people suffer from it but the cynic in me says it's become an easy fallback option for anyone.

Kid probably does need help if he thinks the pressures of life will evaporate working at Safeway rather than playing VFL.
He's not using it as an excuse to cover up groping/rooting/hitting someone he shouldn't have or stealing s**t, he's explaining why he's given up his job that has a public interest. Doesn't seem a limelight seeker, if he worked in an office it would probably be a group email on the way out.

He sounds pretty much like a lot of local footy players I know. I’ve known 5 guys this year (myself included) who have stopped playing because we just aren’t enjoying it.

Also, casey isn’t the most fun place these days.
Refection of the whole club? Would have thought winning would be fun.

It's weird that the ones who try an take the morally safe/PC/inoffensive/modern touch view etc seem to be the ones who can't handle contrary opinions. Just because you've chosen what you think is the way everyone should react doesn't invalidate other peoples views.
Lol that’s a new one. Not calling strangers druggies without evidence is “PC”

He's not using it as an excuse to cover up groping/rooting/hitting someone he shouldn't have or stealing s**t, he's explaining why he's given up his job that has a public interest. Doesn't seem a limelight seeker, if he worked in an office it would probably be a group email on the way out.

Seems to be some evidence though that he's using it to cover how much he loves having a twirl.

Of course AFL isn't for everyone but I wouldn't have thought he's that public yet, don't reckon most Melbourne supporters would even recognise him on the street.

Good luck to Harley into the future. Anxiety, panic attacks is something a lot people don't really understand and never will. Being only young he now has a chance to reach for other things in life and find happiness in other pursuits.

As for his lifestyle I won't comment not knowing him, his friends or what he does for fun. However, Drugs and alcohol culture is prominent across all ages and i don't think there's any answers to it really.

Nah didn’t say that. Was a comment about casey not melbourne mate. They’ve made some dumb moves recently and it’s left a lot of people very offside and there’s a bit of bad blood.

Aren't you posting rumours now after telling people not to post rumours?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be some evidence though that he's using it to cover how much he loves having a twirl.

Of course AFL isn't for everyone but I wouldn't have thought he's that public yet, don't reckon most Melbourne supporters would even recognise him on the street.
Again though, cart ahead of horse. Depression nearly always leads to drugs. Good chance the stuff he's on is no worse for him than the regulated zombie pills but that's probably further off topic. :)

Aren't you posting rumours now after telling people not to post rumours?
I didn’t say not to post rumours, I just don’t call people drug addicts with no evidence right at this moment... I was fairly explicitly specific

Although it’s hardly a rumour since you know my partner worked through it all and I spent most weekends at casey being involved.

With each an everyone person that comes out with the mental health line it's losing its effect. No doubt alot of people suffer from it but the cynic in me says it's become an easy fallback option for anyone.

Kid probably does need help if he thinks the pressures of life will evaporate working at Safeway rather than playing VFL.
There's been what, six?

I didn’t say not to post rumours, I just don’t call people drug addicts with no evidence right at this moment... I was fairly explicitly specific

Although it’s hardly a rumour since you know my partner worked through it all and I spent most weekends at casey being involved.

Yeah but it's fun razzing you again.

Lyon, Frawley, Fasolo, Bloke, Boyd, Clark, Lumumba, Balic, Schache, Hird, Thompson etc etc etc.
Lumumba was concussion issues, and then he thought the club doctors where trying to stop him playing games to autorenew his contract.

No s**t, it’s as if the rest of us just cruise through life doing what we love, 9-5, getting $250k per year. **** me. 99% of us have to work ******* hard and spend most of our working lives grinding it out for a fraction of what a half decent sportsman can earn!

You don't have to dislike a situation a heap to walk away from a $50k job. Turning his back on that much money (and a childhood dream) is probably a good indicator of how much he hates what he does. For the amount of time we spend at work, life is too short to stay there if it makes life miserable. Hopefully he can find a life that makes him happy and fulfilled.

Again though, cart ahead of horse. Depression nearly always leads to drugs. Good chance the stuff he's on is no worse for him than the regulated zombie pills but that's probably further off topic. :)

The thing about anxiety and depression is - and I think this is an accepted fact, drug and alcohol use exasperate it greatly. Even weed hasn't been shown to help.

So its more of a cycle then a cart and horse type thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back