Past Daniel Menzel - delisted 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

You do realise he absolutely loves Sydney and it’s lifestyle? He was absolutely pissed he got traded, it has absolutely nothing to do with family at all!
Like most of us I don't claim to know him personally. I imagine being near family would benefit his wife most. Who wouldn't love Sydney's lifestyle over Geelong's.

Edit : When I said his head didn't seem to be in the right place I meant in Sydney the club rather than in Sydney the place.

Last edited:

No, he is as much a part of our future as the young bloods. He offers experience and an X factor. He comes from a winning Club and will offer leadership to the young players around him. If he stays fit and healthy and is able to snag goals then he keeps one young forward out of the mix because he is better in our team than the alternative. When he is no longer able to perform then his position will be taken by someone whose claims are greater than his. This is how it should work. He will not be there to keep a spot warm for someone as they develop. He will be there because he is the best we can put on the field. I wish him a successful time at the Swans - three years would be a great return. If someone can usurp his spot after one year, then so be it. Our team will be all the more formidable.

Take your point Vin. My post was simply being cautious based on his age and record of injury. If he were to hold McCartin out of a spot and McCartin then looked elsewhere for opportunities I'd be disappointed, especially if Menzel then broke down. I'd like to think we can enter the post Buddy era with home grown talent ready to step up rather than going shopping for a big fish. That hasn't always worked for us.

The late Eddie Melai. Very tough and rugged ruckman. He KO'd (accidentally of course) an umpire in VFA Grand Final. He also managed to get himself reported and rubbed out as a runner for Dandenong against Port in the Grand Final when Fred Cook was king hit.
Oh for the good old days of sunday footy on the telly, big Ed was a big favorite. Yeah and I hope Swannies get a couple of years from Menzel, gun player , maybe jag a flag to complete the story.

I imagine Stevie J will be glad to have an old teammate to work with. Menzel was cruelly unlucky not to have been part of Geelong's winning GF team of 2011. Not many of those old heroes left at Geelong now. I wonder how much the Swans' prospects for winning a premiership (v. Geelong or another suitor) had to do with him selecting Sydney. If he stays fit he could be finally part of a flag in the next few years. IMO we're sitting on a gold mine of young talent. More forward power is a great start.

Sorry to say but there is no guarantee with Menzel, if he stays fit he will be bloody good for you but unfortunately his body has more cracks than a plumbers convention and could easily break down. Hope it all goes well for him though and he proves Geelong wrong, new environment might be just what he needs.

Correct but you know what it's like when you get a new toy, or even a used toy that your neighbour had which you always thought was kind of cool despite spending a lot of time in his dad's shed being repaired. But, hey, enough about Gary Rohan.

Last edited:
Take your point Vin. My post was simply being cautious based on his age and record of injury. If he were to hold McCartin out of a spot and McCartin then looked elsewhere for opportunities I'd be disappointed, especially if Menzel then broke down. I'd like to think we can enter the post Buddy era with home grown talent ready to step up rather than going shopping for a big fish. That hasn't always worked for us.
McCartin is a real raw talent and will become a dead set legend up forward or even in the middle. I don't think that Menzel will be the one to push McCartin out. More so it will be Reid or if Naismith becomes first ruck, then Sinclair will vie for McCartin's possie. Menzel will allow Heeney to play midfield and he will take his position on the flank or Rohan's. Or perhaps he will become the stay at home forward pocket?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree regarding the big fish. Tippett was an A grade failure as a forward. Spent heaps for little reward. As a ruckman...he performed better. But other big fish such as Buddy and Plugger and Barry Hall and Greg Williams and Daisy Williams and Healy.....we have done pretty well. Course we were dudded when we traded the Danihers out for a big fish that eventually swam back to Essendon anyway.

I was only kidding, I love a good dad joke. Jokes in their existence are great things so there’s no such thing as a bad joke in my eyes!
No problem. My boys accuse me of Dad jokes and roll their eyes. I'm used to it.

Like most of us I don't claim to know him personally. I imagine being near family would benefit his wife most. Who wouldn't love Sydney's lifestyle over Geelong's.

Edit : When I said his head didn't seem to be in the right place I meant in Sydney the club rather than in Sydney the place.
Yeah I admit I’d rather be in Sydney than here! I don’t know him but his Instagram and more importantly, my source do. Weren’t great posts, even worse (you could argue otherwise) was management either!

Just to keep this on topic, this stuff was pre Menzel, of which I have no inside knowledge of.

I was only kidding, I love a good dad joke. Jokes in their existence are great things so there’s no such thing as a bad joke in my eyes!
I was washing the car with a friend the other day until he said “hey do you think you could use a sponge instead?”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back