Past Daniel Menzel - delisted 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Stoked.!
I know a few might be worried with past injuries, but, anyone, anytime could unfortunately suffer an injury..
I think Menzel will free up the focus on Buddy a lot..

If Horse doesn't make most of the talent he has up forward then there is something wrong. You have a superstar (Buddy), an elite prospect (Blakey), a good prospect (McCartin), good 2nd/3rd bananas in Menzel, Reid and some good small forwards for goodness sake.
So this would tend to suggest that supply from the midfield is the issue. Not bomb it in the Buddy direction and hope for magic. Our midfield will determine how well our forward line functions.

So this would tend to suggest that supply from the midfield is the issue. Not bomb it in the Buddy direction and hope for magic. Our midfield will determine how well our forward line functions.

I would take the bomb it to Buddy at this stage but the ball isnt getting down there like it used to.

2013 ranked 5th
2014 ranked 2nd
2015 ranked 4th
2016 ranked 4th
2017 ranked 11th
2018 ranked 15th!!

See the problem ball isnt getting to him so you can see why Longmire is trying to turn everyone into mids.

PS: we ****ed up the Josh Dunkley scenario so bad i would of picked him and backed our system in to make him stay, look at his numbers when the Dogs stopped with putting him forward experiment.

We take Josh Dunkley and he may have left the club in 3 years. With some trade value too!

Instead we passed and picked Leonardis, who has definitely left the club in 3 years. Without playing a game.

We take Josh Dunkley and he may have left the club in 3 years. With some trade value too!

Instead we passed and picked Leonardis, who has definitely left the club in 3 years. Without playing a game.

Club has not been ruthless enough to make the decisions required in pursuit of another premiership.

Hopefully recruiting Menzel changes that.

Retrospect is a wonderful view, but only tells the story of one of the paths taken. For all we know had we taken Dunkley he would have tripped on a fence chain in the SCG precint, crashed into Buddy, breaking his toe, who stumbled into JPK, knocked him flat as he fell concussed driving his elbow into Rampe on the way down as Rampe collects Lloyd with his shoulder and so on. Suffice to say McCartin was the most senior player left standing and we raided the academy to get 22 players together.

Unlikely, but these things can happen.

Retrospect is a wonderful view, but only tells the story of one of the paths taken. For all we know had we taken Dunkley he would have tripped on a fence chain in the SCG precint, crashed into Buddy, breaking his toe, who stumbled into JPK, knocked him flat as he fell concussed driving his elbow into Rampe on the way down as Rampe collects Lloyd with his shoulder and so on. Suffice to say McCartin was the most senior player left standing and we raided the academy to get 22 players together.

Unlikely, but these things can happen.

Maybe but we potentially gave away another Tom Mitchell, a forward line of Menzel, Franklin, Reid, Papley, Hayward, Ronke sounds great but is the ball going to get there?

I would take the bomb it to Buddy at this stage but the ball isnt getting down there like it used to.

2013 ranked 5th
2014 ranked 2nd
2015 ranked 4th
2016 ranked 4th
2017 ranked 11th
2018 ranked 15th!!

See the problem ball isnt getting to him so you can see why Longmire is trying to turn everyone into mids.

PS: we ****** up the Josh Dunkley scenario so bad i would of picked him and backed our system in to make him stay, look at his numbers when the Dogs stopped with putting him forward experiment.

Stop playing the hindsight game, you can never win it. Leonardis, at the time, was exactly what we needed. Was talked up as having an outside game and some class, things we didn't have while our midfield was full of one-dimensional workhorse types like Kennedy, Hannebery, Parker and Jack. Dunkley, for all his assets, is basically everything we didn't really need at the time. I imagine some on here would have given a collective groan if we selected another midfield accumulator lacking pace instead of an outside type. So we didn't **** up. The logic was very solid, just the player wasn't right. A year later we definitely got it right when we got a classy outside player in Ollie Florent. Maybe the issue was that he wasn't born a year or two earlier.

Club has not been ruthless enough to make the decisions required in pursuit of another premiership.

Hopefully recruiting Menzel changes that.

Ruthless is recruiting a dfa no other club wanted?

don't think so.

Ruthless would of been recruiting Dunkley whether he wanted to stay in melb or not.

don't think so.

Ruthless would of been recruiting Dunkley whether he wanted to stay in melb or not.
Conversely, ruthless could be taking the chance on a DFA with an injury history but proven ability and a point to prove, against recruiting an unproven player that (at the time) filled no particular need at the club and was considered a flight risk.
Swings and roundabouts......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2013 ranked 5th
2014 ranked 2nd
2015 ranked 4th
2016 ranked 4th
2017 ranked 11th
2018 ranked 15th!!

PS: we ****** up the Josh Dunkley scenario so bad i would of picked him and backed our system in to make him stay, look at his numbers when the Dogs stopped with putting him forward experiment.
Dunkley....hmmm, they feared that he might have gone down the Titch pathway. Too bad we won't know what would have happened if we'd pick him up because they chose Tyrone instead. That certainly didn't work out well. Yes, doesn't help not having a winning ruck either and Reid as our link man out of defence - we forget that key role he performed except when nobody else is available to do it and we think what the hell is missing? If we don't have the pill in our possession, then our midfield become defenders with nobody to kick to when they do find it. It did get ugly at times didn't it?

don't think so.

Ruthless is sticking to your guns when there are other choices available that aren't quite so cold bloodedly calculating. Like playing Titch in the twos until he learned to run just as hard defensively as he did when on the offensive. Being ruthless is being devoid of humanity - of being totally driven to achieve a desired result.

Ruthless is sticking to your guns when there are other choices available that aren't quite so cold bloodedly calculating. Like playing Titch in the twos until he learned to run just as hard defensively as he did when on the offensive. Being ruthless is being devoid of humanity - of being totally driven to achieve a desired result.
Clueless is sticking to your guns when there are other choices available that aren't quite so cold bloodedly calculating. Like playing Titch in the twos until he learned to run just as hard defensively as he did when on the offensive.

Dunkley....hmmm, they feared that he might have gone down the Titch pathway.
I can't see him being the AFL MVP, but he will still be very good

Clueless is sticking to your guns when there are other choices available that aren't quite so cold bloodedly calculating. Like playing Titch in the twos until he learned to run just as hard defensively as he did when on the offensive.
He played 19 senior games in 2015 and 26 senior games in 2016. He had well and truly broken into our best 22 by then. That old chestnut about languishing in the magoos doesn't stand up in my opinion. He left for better money (and why not in this day and age) and the opportunity to be the Hawks primary inside mid. Our loss but we didn't have the coin to keep him.

Tips on where Dan will finish in the B&F?

I'd have him around 12-15. Not our most important player but his contributions will be recognised by the coaches somewhat.

Out of interest, does anyone have Rohans B&F history?
Rohan never finished top 10 is any of his 9 seasons. Can't be bothered checking exactly how low he finished

Remove this Banner Ad

Back