News & Events Christchurch shooting

Remove this Banner Ad

New Zealand had a chilling lone gunman rampage from small town eccentric about three decades back (possibly older than the identified gunman here). It was later adapted into Out of the Blue with Karl Urban, which in my opinion is the best New Zealand film thus far this millennium.

There was also a film about a mass shooting in NZ starring Jack Thompson called Bad Blood but that was based on something that happened during WW2.

Bad_Blood_Film_1981_Poster.jpg

Just watched as much of the stream as I could bear. Lots of people have been murdered today, horrific.

I've watched some of it too, looks like something out of a first person shooter game except it's real, from what I saw he wasn't taking any prisoners.

Shocking video of the incident. Looks like one guy in the mosque charged him to try and disarm him but he was shot at the last second

Why would you watch it?
Agreed. Unless you had some professional reason to watch it, I can't really relate to that sort of forewarned morbid information seeking. Like if someone tells you a video contains a real-life beheading, why would you want to go ahead and watch it? Snuff said.

Just heart breaking, the hate someone must have to go through with this is shocking, i watched it but definitely dont recommend it

Yeah you only realise last second. What a brave mother******. What a human.
Well, they were sitting ducks. If you were in that room, your options were to run (and likely get gunned down), stay there and hope the guy isn't as thorough as he wound up being, or try and do something to stop him (and most likely get gunned down). Not a lot of good options unfortunately.

The video is horrific, made worse by the casual, almost jovial nature of the guy. How messed up you have to be to be able to do that to people without any apparent signs or remorse or human compassion is just bewildering. The capacity some have to kill innocent people in cold blood is just something I will never be able to understand.

That said, I am a little curious. I'm hearing reports that there are four people who carried out the attack, but the video seems like a solo pursuit. The guy doens't reference anyone else, and no one else could be seen. Did the other three go somewhere else?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Unless you had some professional reason to watch it, I can't really relate to that sort of forewarned morbid information seeking. Like if someone tells you a video contains a real-life beheading, why would you want to go ahead and watch it? Snuff said.
Curiosity. Terrible things happen in the world. Sometimes you need to see it for yourself to try to understand how and why. Doesn't mean that you don't have any empathy for the victims or that you don't feel sickened by what occurred.

If you or anyone else doesn't feel comfortable watching it then that's fine.

Absolutely disgusted that reputable sites such as The Age and Canberra Times online have links to the video embedded in their articles. People want to watch it, not much you can do, but I’ve read my last article on any of the (former) Fairfax sites. The people responsible for the editorial decisions should be dealt with... I’m available to confront them personally. Despicable use of mainstream media.

As Salaam Alaikum.
His name and the name of others should be the ones we remember not the gunmen.
Rest in power As Salaam Alaikum, you're a hero

I've watched some of it too, looks like something out of a first person shooter game except it's real, from what I saw he wasn't taking any prisoners.
Sick **** continued to fire on people who were already clearly dead. Wouldn't surprise me if this loser was ex-military. The calmness and sheer detachment from human life he displayed throughout was gross.

The reason i choose not to watch, is it seems disrespectful to the victims and families.
It glorifies what this scumbag did, he obviously wanted people to watch.
Also i don't need or want to lose faith in humanity more than i already have.

If i watch it will mess with me mentally, it's the same reason i don't watch the news/read about certain crimes, etc.

Well, they were sitting ducks. If you were in that room, your options were to run (and likely get gunned down), stay there and hope the guy isn't as thorough as he wound up being, or try and do something to stop him (and most likely get gunned down). Not a lot of good options unfortunately.

The video is horrific, made worse by the casual, almost jovial nature of the guy. How messed up you have to be to be able to do that to people without any apparent signs or remorse or human compassion is just bewildering. The capacity some have to kill innocent people in cold blood is just something I will never be able to understand.

That said, I am a little curious. I'm hearing reports that there are four people who carried out the attack, but the video seems like a solo pursuit. The guy doens't reference anyone else, and no one else could be seen. Did the other three go somewhere else?

Having seen the video, they actually had no choices. The setup of the room was such that the gunman got the drop on all of them once he started shooting.

The only thing they could have done is if they all or some rushed him at once, sacrificing themselves for others.. Mind you this is in hindsight. Its not something one would think of doing in any case in a place of prayer. So naturally their guard was down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back