Autopsy Rd 17 2019 St Kilda 8 9 57 defeated by Geelong 12 12 84

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, all in all the result wasn't nearly as bad as man of us feared. I was worried it could be seventy points or more. The team did their best and showed spirit in the performance I thought. The quality just isn't there to seriously threaten teams like Geelong in their own back yard, particularly as they also get so many decisions from the umpires. However, that isn't an excuse; they are a good side who have a good chance of winning the flag.

In the circumstances it feels a bit of a relief to have come away without a belting.

Marshall is the new GOAT.

Clark has overtaken the old goat.

Richo still has the players.
Yeah that's an interesting point mate. I think you're right.
But I'm still puzzled after what i saw at Norf Melbourne.
Scott by all accounts still had the players . They spoke extremely highly of him and some welled up with tears at his last game.
Yet the teams intensity lifted tenfold before the door had even shut behind him. It was like a huge weight lifted off the playing group.

Maybe its similar with the Cho and he does indeed have the players . .
Might be a ripping bloke as well.
Who knows maybe he can coach.
But maybe like Norf the Saints players just need a fresh start. I think its just stale at our club and we need a new voice.
I hate sacking coaches and i think stability is so important. But if we just go through the motions with Richo for the rest of the season its gonna be hard to watch IMO.
It was a half decent effort Vs the cats but id rather we rip the band aid off now. We have an extremely qualified caretaker coach in Ratten . Use him.

It seemed odd at the ground.. because the crowd was so bias one way, every free we had they boo’d and theirs we’re silent. So it gave a really bad perception.

I was just teasing Gringo with conspiracies because I love them.

When they gave the Bronx cheers when Ratogolea got a free straight after our first (only?) free in the last quarter I nearly fell off my seat laughing

Gotta laugh at how worked up some get over the Acres GOAT talk. Read some of the stuff in the Game Day thread just before and had to laugh. I thought it was very obvious that it started as a piss take and has continued as a piss take.

He is the GOAT though.

You are seriously going over the top.. He didn't mean to offend anyone. Don't be a social justice warrior
Thanks for your advise but humour about handicapped people is as funny and mentioning hitler. Justice worrier. Got the wrong person. I say disgraceful things in a small group of friends especially at my footy club. I don’t say it on a public forum.

Im guessing someone will defend DMac and say he played his role LOL Enough of him and his little mate Sincs , they have been pretty much sh1t all year .
One thing that comes to mind is our so called best athletes in DMac , Phillips, Geary, Sincs are the ones that can hardly find the ball , maybe if we start drafting footballers instead of runners we may improve

So after 16 weeks now you are saying that if it wasn't for injuries we'd be playing another tall.

"Surely we don’t need another tall who is a regular senior player? Yes or no?" Surely you're joking? If not - then the answer is clearly Yes Why?

How about because not only don't we have another tall who is even capable of playing regular "senior" football ATM, one of the two we do have won't be playing next year and the second is yet to play a senior game so everything said about him is pure speculation.

That may help you support a dubious argument but in my case ATM I see Ming as a total irrelevancy until he actually proves he is can play at a senior level.

"Next year barring injury we will have Marshall rucking and king membery and Bruce as marking players."

No comment required. Thankfully the club see's the problem.
You just don’t get it. Tell me how a person like Goldstein fits into our side? Just out of interest. I’ve already said maybe 10 times Draper is tge perfect player for us to get. How many sides play two first rucks. Maybe one or two. How many sides have a first tall forward in the seconds just in case. Probably none but maybe one or two. Our problem isn’t the lack of talls forward. It’s the set up and the lack of ability of our mids to look up and see no one is home. You do realise that doesn’t change if they are tall or small. As I’ve said many times and you know know you don’t play 3 marking players just because they can mark every so often you play 3 good marking players. If a small and a tall are of equal ability you play the small. You say the club know we need more. Really have they said that. Are they chasing a tall forward. We could have put battle there last week but chose not to. Could have marsh there but chose not to. I’d suggest they aren’t doing as you think they are doing. So next you say the club know it try facts instead of opinion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have the hardest thing in the book to achieve this off season. Our top 6 aren’t good enough ( Marshall aside ) and our bottom 6 aren’t either. Now fix the top 6 and the bottom will take care of itself.

We’re 3 good players off its seems. Structures hold up well enough, but our efforts can be inconsistent.

Bruce has become our sole go to forward, that hasn’t been a bad thing recently. But it’s completely killed Members game. Even moved to the backline. Not sure how they fix that problem, especially with King coming in.

Mids have looked better once Seb moves out. Dunstan has blossomed, but needs class and another big body around him. What we do with Seb, Acres, Sinclair & Newnes I don’t know. I’d personally trade them, Seb maybe the only one that escapes, only because we have no experience. All depends what we bring in.

maybe if we start drafting footballers instead of runners we may improve
Unfortunately for you the word is the club is looking at a mature age prospect from Beech Forrest

Cliff-Young-running.gif

We have the hardest thing in the book to achieve this off season. Our top 6 aren’t good enough ( Marshall aside ) and our bottom 6 aren’t either. Now fix the top 6 and the bottom will take care of itself.

We’re 3 good players off its seems. Structures hold up well enough, but our efforts can be inconsistent.

Bruce has become our sole go to forward, that hasn’t been a bad thing recently. But it’s completely killed Members game. Even moved to the backline. Not sure how they fix that problem, especially with King coming in.

Mids have looked better once Seb moves out. Dunstan has blossomed, but needs class and another big body around him. What we do with Seb, Acres, Sinclair & Newnes I don’t know. I’d personally trade them, Seb maybe the only one that escapes, only because we have no experience. All depends what we bring in.
Newnes unfortunately isn’t tradable and I’m not sure Sinclair is either. Acres might get a real late 2nd rounder. Our midfield is the issue. It causes us to think defensively. Not sure how we solve that. We somehow have to hope hanners comes good and jack stays. Both doubtful

Well, all in all the result wasn't nearly as bad as man of us feared. I was worried it could be seventy points or more. The team did their best and showed spirit in the performance I thought. The quality just isn't there to seriously threaten teams like Geelong in their own back yard, particularly as they also get so many decisions from the umpires. However, that isn't an excuse; they are a good side who have a good chance of winning the flag.

In the circumstances it feels a bit of a relief to have come away without a belting.

Agree there MUFKilda.

I like most were expecting the absolute worst.

I haven't felt the level of dread during the week like I did this past week since the 2016 game against the Crows in Adel.

We still got belted that night and that was the horrible night that Paddy and Goddard both went down......horrendous gut churning night.

Was pleasantly surprised last night that we hung in as long as we did....what a novelty to be just in front at half time(similiar feeling to that at half time against Richmind)

Was waiting for the flood gates to open in the 3rd...didn't happen.....Geelong just ground their way to the final margin when their class was required.

Big gulf in the talent and skill of the 2 sides but thought our effort was heartening.

As mentioned:

MARSHALL......as a few have said...wow wee......that guy alone gives me so much hope going foward.

BRUCE:.....looked like another big game was going to happen....didn't tho but took a few great contseted marks.

CLARK:.........did some very good things.....I suspect he'll end up the player we all hoped he'd be.

LONG.....loved the goal he kicked but did a few crazy things during the night.

LONE DOG....great goal in the first......great to have him back.

So so relieved we weren't belted......there's some embers flickering in the fire folks.

You just don’t get it. Tell me how a person like Goldstein fits into our side? Just out of interest. I’ve already said maybe 10 times Draper is tge perfect player for us to get. How many sides play two first rucks. Maybe one or two. How many sides have a first tall forward in the seconds just in case. Probably none but maybe one or two. Our problem isn’t the lack of talls forward. It’s the set up and the lack of ability of our mids to look up and see no one is home. You do realise that doesn’t change if they are tall or small. As I’ve said many times and you know know you don’t play 3 marking players just because they can mark every so often you play 3 good marking players. If a small and a tall are of equal ability you play the small. You say the club know we need more. Really have they said that. Are they chasing a tall forward. We could have put battle there last week but chose not to. Could have marsh there but chose not to. I’d suggest they aren’t doing as you think they are doing. So next you say the club know it try facts instead of opinion

Longer and Pierce have both been out for about 8 weeks with concussion. Seeing as they were both hardly getting a game anyway there’s a good chance at the end of the year the only rucks on our list will be marshall and alabakis. We would definitely need to go for 1 mature/ready-made (Draper/Goldstein/Lobbe) and draft a project. Otherwise we’d be screwed if RoMo got injured or wanted to play him more fwd/ruck.

I’m genuinely interested in this but do people still want Goldstein rucking and Marshall mainly forward. I don’t think north will let Goldstein go now anyway so it’s a moot point but surely we don’t want to move Marshall. Please tell me this. This guy could genuinely be the best ruck in the afl by the end of next season. People need to remember he did the whole of this pre season as a forward ruck and look what he has done. Imagine a pre season as a ruckman. It’s hard to improve your craft during the year but he has somehow managed that. His ability to clear from a contest is nearly better than any of our mids.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advise but humour about handicapped people is as funny and mentioning hitler. Justice worrier. Got the wrong person. I say disgraceful things in a small group of friends especially at my footy club. I don’t say it on a public forum.
Ah it's ok to say it behind close doors but not in public..ok

I’m genuinely interested in this but do people still want Goldstein rucking and Marshall mainly forward. I don’t think north will let Goldstein go now anyway so it’s a moot point but surely we don’t want to move Marshall. Please tell me this. This guy couldn’t genuinely be the best ruck in the afl by the end of next season. People need to remember he did the whole of this pre season as a forward ruck and look what he has done. Imagine a pre season as a ruckman. It’s hard to improve your craft during the year but he has somehow managed that. His ability to clear from a contest is nearly better than any of our mids.

Marshall to Ruck.
King, Bruce, Membrey, ( Battle?) forward.
Find a number 2 ruck elsewhere unless Goldy is prepared to play second fiddle, which I doubt.

Yeah that's an interesting point mate. I think you're right.
But I'm still puzzled after what i saw at Norf Melbourne.
Scott by all accounts still had the players . They spoke extremely highly of him and some welled up with tears at his last game.
Yet the teams intensity lifted tenfold before the door had even shut behind him. It was like a huge weight lifted off the playing group.

Maybe its similar with the Cho and he does indeed have the players . .
Might be a ripping bloke as well.
Who knows maybe he can coach.
But maybe like Norf the Saints players just need a fresh start. I think its just stale at our club and we need a new voice.
I hate sacking coaches and i think stability is so important. But if we just go through the motions with Richo for the rest of the season its gonna be hard to watch IMO.
It was a half decent effort Vs the cats but id rather we rip the band aid off now. We have an extremely qualified caretaker coach in Ratten . Use him.

Fair points. I'm sure there's been many poor coaches that have been loved by their players in the past.

Doesn't mean they are the best option going forward.

I just think some of the players simply aren't good enough.

Even North have a better midfield than ours.

Anyway, it's all inevitable and we move on.

Longer and Pierce have both been out for about 8 weeks with concussion. Seeing as they were both hardly getting a game anyway there’s a good chance at the end of the year the only rucks on our list will be marshall and alabakis. We would definitely need to go for 1 mature/ready-made (Draper/Goldstein/Lobbe) and draft a project. Otherwise we’d be screwed if RoMo got injured or wanted to play him more fwd/ruck.
I said Draper and would be happy with lobbe but Goldstein is a very good first ruck. He isn’t playing seconds just in case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back