Bluemour Melting Pot XIX - Give Me Ed Baby - Return of the Prodigal Son

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go back a few pages :cool:

Sorry if I missed your reference.

Dealing with this thread feels like living through life with amnesia or narcolepsy.

You can pretend that you know what is going on but every now and then someone says 'dude, don't you remember, we discussed this yesterday!' and all you can say is 'sorry man, I have no memory of that, I must have blacked out'......

Personally i think it is very very different playing an ageing player behind the ball than in front of the ball. Behind the ball you can use nous and reading better. Hodge, Burgoyne, even Morris and Simmo have done well behind the ball.

Whereas Eddie and Puopolo and even a superstar like Gaz Jr lately are struggling from week to week because they have lost their spring and bounce essentially.

It is a tough tough game ahead of the ball these days. Not so much behind the ball.

Eddie is a champion, but i think he is pretty much dusted. If we miss Papley and we get him for nothing, then i'd be ok with having him as a hold til we get a proper small mid. But get Papley and Martin and we move on happily imo.
Betts was equal 14th on the league goal kickers this year (with Papley from 1 less game) and 18th for "shots" in between Naughton (2 more games) and Walters (1 more game) - I think his "form drop" has been exaggerated somewhat and I think he could really bounce back in a happier environment

Betts was equal 14th on the league goal kickers this year (with Papley from 1 less game) and 18th for "shots" in between Naughton (2 more games) and Walters (1 more game) - I think his "form drop" has been exaggerated somewhat and I think he could really bounce back in a happier environment

Eddie also got dropped because there's quite a bit he doesn't/can't do anymore. It's fine for everyone to have differing opinions, but personally, i don't think we're in the space to be bringing a 33yo small forward into the team next year.

If a lot goes wrong(not getting our other targets) and a lot goes right(Eddie takes a big paycut and Adelaide let him go for next to nothing) then ok. But he would be, and should be, Plan C imo.

Exactly. Betts had a drop in form the year he left us. Didn't affect subsequent years. A lot of players "hold back" to avoid injury, or lose motivation when their time is up at a club.

I think Eddie easily has another 2 years in him. Someone else can find the exact number but he's barely missed a game in the last 10 seasons. Very fit and low injury risk.

All this talk of Betts coming back is great..

But has it been mentioned anywhere here that 12 of his goals last season was against Gold Coast??

Sausage on the way in? On the way out? Or both?

Up there with chicken vs egg stuff.

FINALLY. Someone asking the REAL questions in this thread.

Very hard debate this one. I see both sides of the argument and there's no easy answer.

Recently I've been on the way out kinda guy.

Eddie also got dropped because there's quite a bit he doesn't/can't do anymore. It's fine for everyone to have differing opinions, but personally, i don't think we're in the space to be bringing a 33yo small forward into the team next year.

If a lot goes wrong(not getting our other targets) and a lot goes right(Eddie takes a big paycut and Adelaide let him go for next to nothing) then ok, But he would, and should be, Plan C imo.

Or did he get dropped because he simply wasn't getting along with Pyke?

And what exactly isn't he doing? His 52 tackles would have had him ranked 12th at the club , in between Setterfiled & Dow and just 5 behind Gibbons who kicked just 16 goals.

If it turns out Betts can't force his way into our best 22 then giving up pick 39 isn't a great loss but if he can then he is a significant upgrade on what we have.

It's funny that some people are dismissing 12 of Eddie's goals because they were against the Gold Coast.
After having a look, these are the highest individual goals scored against the Suns thus year.

Jeremy Cameron - 9
Jarryd Roughead - 6
Charlie Cameron - 6
Eddie Betts - 6 x 2

If it's so easy to kick goals against the Suns then why isn't every doing it.

Can we all just agree that:

1. the Suns suck; and
2. we all love Eddie.

SOS and Eddie will make the right decision either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But has it been mentioned anywhere here that 12 of his goals last season was against Gold Coast??
Take away Betts’ 12 goals against the Suns and he’d still have been our second highest goal kicker for 2019, only one behind McKay. Just throwing that one out there.
Add in Betts 12 goals against the Suns for us and we wouldn't have lost to the Suns!

Or Harry McKays twin who isn’t getting a go at North

He isn't getting a game for a reason. Ben has the ability, it's just he needs to get his head right.

He could end up leaving the game for the same reasons as Boyd TBH.

Haven't read that, no.

I do know Betts kicked a dozen against the Suns tho if that helps.

Or did he get dropped because he simply wasn't getting along with Pyke?

And what exactly isn't he doing? His 52 tackles would have had him ranked 12th at the club , in between Setterfiled & Dow and just 5 behind Gibbons who kicked just 16 goals.

If it turns out Betts can't force his way into our best 22 then giving up pick 39 isn't a great loss but if he can then he is a significant upgrade on what we have.

I've said my piece on Eddie. Nothing against your argument, but i'm not gonna pi$$ on one of my favorite players just to win an internet argument.

If we get our A targets and move on....then great.

If we don't and we decide Eddie is needed for a year....then i hope he does well.

Papley finished fourth in the Swans best and fairest last night. Behind two former All Australians and ahead of four other former All Australians. Not too shabby. Let’s get it done.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

4th?!

In a team that even we managed to beat?

Revised Offer: Pick 39.

Wish we had have picked up Jake Riccardi in the mid season draft....saw him earlier in the year when NB's played Werribee, and he tore us a new one. Had a cracking year and finished 2nd in the VFL goalkicking...and just a 19yo!!!

He'll get snapped up in the ND this year, possibly 2nd or 3rd round.
Unsure if you saw my post in the draft thread the other day but we've definitely been speaking to him. Collingwood and GWS the two clubs most interested at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back