Bluemour Melting Pot XX - Snark Free Zone

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn’t send a good message to other players we are seeking to trade for in the future. I imagine we would have made assurances to Papley that we will make the trade happen no matter what, for him to to go public and nominate us.
Whilst I agree with you, if Sydney has made an emphatic statement that they "will not trade him" then you have to make sure he has to do what he can to change their minds.

I thought the word on why we withdrew interest was because BEllis came back after Cogs re-signed and asked for more $. That's very likely a conversation driven or initiated by the Player Manager. So Pask/Ellis' manager throwing shade at us is bloody rich (pun intended).

I think it's as simple as we made a fair, very fair, offer. BEllis very, very keen to stay in Melbourne and was interested.

GCS subsequently jumped in and offered 3 mil over 5 years.

BEllis management came back to us hoping to increase our offer and we weren't interested.

I woudn't want to be paying that sort of money and length of contract for BEllis either honestly. But hey, Gold Coast is gunna Gold Coast.

Lol at Ellis feeling jilted. Enjoy the rest of your career at the dump that is the Gold Coast.

Not sure why he and his manager are pi**ed, just because we met with him doesn’t mean we have to sign him up. Let alone the rumour that he asked us for extra cash.

Thank god we avoided that soft seagull. List clogger that Richmond are happy to see the back of.
Is a dual premiership player in an excellent team. Has been an excellent player. Would have fitted in well in our side. I regret we reneged on him.😔

Lol at Ellis feeling jilted. Enjoy the rest of your career at the dump that is the Gold Coast.

Not sure why he and his manager are pi**ed, just because we met with him doesn’t mean we have to sign him up. Let alone the rumour that he asked us for extra cash.

Thank god we avoided that soft seagull. List clogger that Richmond are happy to see the back of.
Bit harsh there, I believe the problem was his manager not him

Sydney is putting it out there that Papley is staying.

Why? So Essendon don’t think pick #9 is available and could potentially form part of the deal.

They’ll attempt to get Daniher for 2019 #5 and possibly a second rounder.

Essendon, Sydney and Carlton all wait until someone blinks.
Dodoro
1570058412751.jpeg

I thought the word on why we withdrew interest was because BEllis came back after Cogs re-signed and asked for more $. That's very likely a conversation driven or initiated by the Player Manager. So Pask/Ellis' manager throwing shade at us is bloody rich (pun intended).

Precede it with “When the AFL intervened on the potential Cognilio move”

And it would be

Seriously, we were going to be dumping a shitload of cash and years on Cogs and we’re going to be taking Ellis also. Only thing that makes sense is the manager came back asking for better terms post an agreement being made

Precede it with “When the AFL intervened on the potential Cognilio move”

And it would be

Seriously, we were going to be dumping a s**tload of cash and years on Cogs and we’re going to be taking Ellis also. Only thing that makes sense is the manager came back asking for better terms post an agreement being made
If anything, it'll change the way SOS, Carlton and maybe others (if he shares the word) view/deal with Pask and co. Just a dick move, really.

IIRC that was only mentioned by TCP. I don't think any other ITK like b70 or Carlton09 have repeated it.

So to be fair, we don't exactly have all the facts right now.

But i'm definitely inclined to believe TCP and when asked by Gary & Tim about us withdrawing our interest, Pask has motivation to essentially lie and blame Carlton for it, rather than admitting his own grubby tactics on air.

If anything, it'll change the way SOS, Carlton and maybe others (if he shares the word) view/deal with Pask and co. Just a dick move, really.

Agreed.

We won't publicly bite back, but obviously those within the industry talk.

If he's lying and making us look bad to other players/agents, i'm sure SOS will be having a word with not only Pask but other prominent player agents and clubs about what really happened.

Phillips has met with Essendon according to SEN.
Thanks for the info.

If they want him, and are willing to trade something for him (third round pick at best, I'd have thought) I'd be fine. Wonder what's in it for him, though; potentially more ones footy, but their record with injury is almost as bad as ours is over the last two/three years. Would've thought he'd want to go somewhere that can get him on the park and allow him to actually get some continuity to press his case for AFL footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Friend who works at Richmond said he heard we reneged on our first offer to Ellis to give more money to Cogs then lost Cogs and turned Ellis off..

Our side of the story is that Ellis moved the goal posts after a deal was struck - so we’re OK.

Which role? In place of who?

Potentially Dow, if Dow is being squeezed into a forward role should he make the side. Would rather he get full minutes on-ball in the VFL than get hidden in a forward pocket in the seniors. That being said, I reckon Knight would be, like Lang, a depth option. Probably a good one too.

Papley for a first rounder.
Martin for a second.
Betts and Knight for a third.
Cutler for a third.
(Some of these picks could be next year's of course)

Seniors:
Plowman, Jones, Weitering
Docherty, Marchbank, SPS
Walsh, Curnow, Setterfield
Kreuzer, Cripps, Murphy
Martin, Curnow, Papley
Betts, McKay, McGovern
I/C: Simpson, Silvagni, Newman, Fisher

Reserves:
Macreadie, Goddard, Silvagni
Williamson, Cutler, Cottrell
O'Brien, Knight, Gibbons
TDK, Stocker, Dow
Cuningham, Kennedy, Lang
Owies, Casboult, Deluca
I/C: Polson, O'Dwyer

Plus a couple of draftees with later picks, maybe a mature age DFA if we're that way inclined.

By season's end you'd hope to see Simmo out of the side, with Cunners, Stocker, Dow, Williamson or O'Brien ready to step up and contribute consistently.

I've got Fisher as the last bench spot, but he could easily be one of those listed above, or potentially a Gibbons/Cutler/Knight inclusion if we want the extra "mature" body.

Friend who works at Richmond said he heard we reneged on our first offer to Ellis to give more money to Cogs then lost Cogs and turned Ellis off..
Interesting side of the story. In any case, reckon we're happy the way its turned out and BEllis won't be complaining - can now enjoy his payday up here in the Sun.

Well Marty Pask said we "never discussed" terms.
I don't listen to SEN so not sure what was said
Interesting side of the story. In any case, reckon we're happy the way its turned out and BEllis won't be complaining - can now enjoy his payday up here in the Sun.
I'm happy it went down the way it did. Not a fan of Ellis tbh.

FWIW My friend isn't one to spread rumours. I was catching up with him at the VFL Grand final and mentioned our side of the story to which he replied oh really? This what people at Tiger land are saying.

I reckon these Crows players leaving (Greenwood, CEY, Betts, Knight potentially, Jenkins, etc etc etc) will have a huge bump in production. The Crows environment - if even half is to be believed - will be severely screwed their development/performance.

So I can see a happy Betts - even if he were 50 - kicking bags and having a ball; Jenkins, CEY and Greenwood thriving with consistent first team roles; and Knight types re-igniting their passion. He'd do well in our side under Teague - playing more freely and attacking everything that moves.

If all the "Sydney will not trade Papley FULL STOP" business is more than just posturing, we should lock up Martin (second rounder plus, perhaps), Betts, Butler, then go see what we can shake loose with 9 and next year's first in terms of real-deal mids.

But this is why the List Mgrs like SOS and co get paid - to know what's real, what's not. I still think pick 9 gets Papley, this year, in Navy Blue.

Trust we won't get left standing at the altar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back