Society/Culture Horse racing is cruel

Remove this Banner Ad

As a casual horse racing fan, but formerly a pretty big fan these issues do hit a bit of a nerve.

It's an interesting sport with some good people in the industry, but - as is the lot when gambling is involved - has some very unscrupulous characters, whether they be bookies, punters, trainers, jockeys or combination thereof.

For any supporters of horse racing, to deny these latest revelations - which are less revelation and more the lifting of an inconvenient open secret - are anything but damaging would be akin to having your head up your proverbial behind.

As a follower, but very much a loose follower these days, I find it near on impossible to believe that there isn't a better way and a middle ground between outright banning (which won't happen for a long time - if ever) and rampant over breeding.

We are simply poles apart on the way we perceive the sport. I'm happy to leave it at that, and you should be, too.

The "sport" is organised animal cruelty sustained by overbreeding and wastage. Yes, we are poles apart. You are happy to leave this discussion here because you simply have little to no care about what the animals are forced to endure for your entertainment and have no way of justifying it.

Maybe you should ask Chief to shut down the punting board.

I'd happily see that happen, but no doubt it brings valuable hits to the website which is worth more than a few thousand dead horses a year.

Wait until you find out what happens with greyhounds. Much easier to hide a dog's body. Racing is such a s**t industry, hope it all goes belly up.

Novak Djokovic is a vegetarian. He seems to have plenty of energy.

Another idiot who thinks "plant based" and "vegetarian" are synonyms.

Djokovic is not vegetarian. He has written a book called Serve to Win that shows his daily meal plan, which includes tuna, salmon, and chicken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another idiot who thinks "plant based" and "vegetarian" are synonyms.

Djokovic is not vegetarian. He has written a book called Serve to Win that shows his daily meal plan, which includes tuna, salmon, and chicken.

Still dispels the myth that red meat is where energy comes from.

Maybe you should ask Chief to shut down the punting board.

If Chief were sincere about being "family friendly" - instead of using that as an excuse to selectively remove content some advertisers don't like (why else?) - he'd do exactly that. Instead, he accepts blood money.

Wait until you find out what happens with greyhounds. Much easier to hide a dog's body. Racing is such a s**t industry, hope it all goes belly up.

I remember years ago they were finding 100s of them with their ears cut off.

I was working afternoon shift at Barwon prison about 10 or so years ago.

Day shift had all gone home so our carpark was pretty much empty. I was up in the control room watching a camera as a station wagon pulled up under a tree towing one of those greyhound trailers. A bloke got out and took his dog's out 1 at a time and was tubing them (we weren't all that far from Beckley Park greyhound track). I rang the stewards on course and gave them a description and rego number, they knew who it was. I looked up the stewards report the next day, there were no late scratchings or mentions of any penalties.

I remember years ago they were finding 100s of them with their ears cut off.

I was working afternoon shift at Barwon prison about 10 or so years ago.

Day shift had all gone home so our carpark was pretty much empty. I was up in the control room watching a camera as a station wagon pulled up under a tree towing one of those greyhound trailers. A bloke got out and took his dog's out 1 at a time and was tubing them (we weren't all that far from Beckley Park greyhound track). I rang the stewards on course and gave them a description and rego number, they knew who it was. I looked up the stewards report the next day, there were no late scratchings or mentions of any penalties.

You need a video to make s**t happen. It all started with Rodney King.

If there was a total betting ban on horse and dog racing, would there be an industry in ten years?

I think there would still be AFL, Cricket etc.

Dogs would disappear in 3 months. Horses maybe make 10 years or even more. Prize money would be totally different. I think there is still a lot of people who have a passing interest without gambling.

But I also wonder how you stop SP bookies, or stop overseas bookies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back