Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Umm, firstly, it's Neale, unless you are talking about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahn_Daniel.

Secondly, is this the same CEY who has played 45 games, kicked 17 goals and averages 2.7 marks per game over his 9 years on an AFL list?

Finally, who are the 'big bodied mids' that Richmond has? Martin (187) plays mostly forward....I guess there's Cotchin (185), Prestia (175), Pickett (184), Ellis (181), Lambert (178).

Kind regards,
Yeah when the whips are cracking Martin plays mostly forward does he .. give me a break.

Doesn't have to have a real high ceiling to surpass CEY.....and he has everything in his arsenal that CEY has......and then some with regard to speed and acceleration. AFL experience at this point is all CEY has over him.

Does the same not apply to all the 2020/21 draftees you seem so sure are going to be absolute guns?

McHenry should be being played on the wing until he puts on a bit more size, a position where he can use his running power.
Difference is O'Connor is a late draft pick.

Yeah when the whips are cracking Martin plays mostly forward does he .. give me a break.
well he spent most of the finals forward last year...though if Richmond had CEY, he could have played the whole game there.

BTW, even when he is in the middle, he's certainly not the one doing the blocks

Doesn't have to have a real high ceiling to surpass CEY.....and he has everything in his arsenal that CEY has......and then some with regard to speed and acceleration. AFL experience at this point is all CEY has over him.

Does the same not apply to all the 2020/21 draftees you seem so sure are going to be absolute guns?

McHenry should be being played on the wing until he puts on a bit more size, a position where he can use his running power.
CEY does also have a pretty impressive manager who secured him a 4 year deal.

Precisely why they targeted CEY

Or they decided CEY is a useful depth piece in a run.

When they win a premiership, or have two-three years of deep finals run, then we talk about proof. Right now it's too early for it and there is no guarantee of being a long term threat.

well he spent most of the finals forward last year...though if Richmond had CEY, he could have played the whole game there.

BTW, even when he is in the middle, he's certainly not the one doing the blocks
Good stuff mate you keep on babbling ya s**t about Martin and Richmond and I'll stick with my original post

Well AFL experience and size, seeing McHenry won't grow 10 cm in the next year. After all, the game does get easier by being bigger and having longer reach than your opponent.

Not the be all and end all of course and you could make an argument speed and running power will be more vital looking forwards, but it's a tool.

Well AFL experience and size, seeing McHenry won't grow 10 cm in the next year. After all, the game does get easier by being bigger and having longer reach than your opponent.

Not the be all and end all of course and you could make an argument speed and running power will be more vital looking forwards, but it's a tool.
Just a shame CEY has never actually used these tools

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Ned was selected in 1 st round, looked to see why as could only see attributes shown as very aggressive around ball and endurance with infectious character.
In a rebuild you can't get those 1st couple picks wrong and posters can get excited but all I see is another Murphy who was a rookie, but unlike Murphy, Ned doesn't look like marking or kicking a goal or making tackles on moving players actually stick .
Jones hasn't set world on fire but can see the skills and speed can bring.
Just hope I am wrong but every game Ned plays reinforces my first thoughts and no I am certainly not even close to having prior knowledge of draftees unlike many on here.

When Ned was selected in 1 st round, looked to see why as could only see attributes shown as very aggressive around ball and endurance with infectious character.
In a rebuild you can't get those 1st couple picks wrong and posters can get excited but all I see is another Murphy who was a rookie, but unlike Murphy, Ned doesn't look like marking or kicking a goal or making tackles on moving players actually stick .
Jones hasn't set world on fire but can see the skills and speed can bring.
Just hope I am wrong but every game Ned plays reinforces my first thoughts and no I am certainly not even close to having prior knowledge of draftees unlike many on here.

Is it a bad pick or just bad development or the fact he's trying to learn his craft with an utterly sh*thouse team around him?

if you look back at the phantom drafts leading up to the 2018 draft, and they all had McHenry going right around where he actually went. So it clearly wasn't a left-field sort of pick like Doedee was, for example. A lot of other observers seemed to rate him right around the pick that our recruiters did - so again, the question is did everybody get him wrong and he's just not capable of elevating his game to AFL level, or has he just been let down by being at our club?

If only this guy was a bit taller he might have made it at AFL level. Such as shame he will never make it as a midfielder because he is less than 190cm

View attachment 935172
Height isn’t everything for a midfielder of course.

With that said, if you’re not even a tiny bit twitchy about our 1st and 2nd selections at the 2018 draft, then you haven’t watched many of the other draftees from that cohort.

Is it a bad pick or just bad development or the fact he's trying to learn his craft with an utterly sh*thouse team around him?

if you look back at the phantom drafts leading up to the 2018 draft, and they all had McHenry going right around where he actually went. So it clearly wasn't a left-field sort of pick like Doedee was, for example. A lot of other observers seemed to rate him right around the pick that our recruiters did - so again, the question is did everybody get him wrong and he's just not capable of elevating his game to AFL level, or has he just been let down by being at our club?
Stats of the last 5 years of Pick 16s before Ned's 2018 draft:

2017 - Bulldogs - Ed Richards - 51 games/22 goals since 2018 + Rising Star nominee in 2018
2016 - Port - Todd Marshall - 28 games/31 goals since 2017
2015 - GWS - Harrison Himmelberg - 75 games/89 goals since 2016
2014 - North - Sam Durdin - 20 games/1 goal since 2017 (sat out 2015 + 2016)
2013 - Cats - Darcy Lang - 44 games/31 goals for 4 years with Cats since 2014 (1 game) & 2015 Rising Star nominee + 20 games/12 goals for Blues since 2018

Ned's stats to date = 8 games in 2020 (nil games in 2019) for no goals and averaging 9 disposals per game.

I think he is a long ways from any of the guys above (so far). However, lets see what the future brings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back