Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 12 - Dockers v Blues Sat August 15th 8:10pm AEST (Optus) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Freo by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Freo by 7 - 20

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Freo by a lot

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that explains why they were both trapped in the forward line. Any reason Frederick isn't further up the ground? His forward presence isn't anything ground breaking right now. I feel that his abilities could be used in other areas.. even running off half back. Looks like an exciting player, but just not owning his position.
Frederick panics a bit. Needs more games and preseasons.

He wasn’t draftable two years ago and then grow 20cm.

At the moment, we have too many inside mids and not enough quality small forwards.

Worst administered sporting code in the world, leading directly to the worst officiated sporting code in the world.

If they don't reverse this result they arent serious. But they aren't serious..their ambition is AFLX-style entertainment. And tonight seemed totally scripted like WWE, with the Blues/Umps playing the heels.

Have you ever watched NBA?

Worst administered sporting code in the world, leading directly to the worst officiated sporting code in the world.

If they don't reverse this result they arent serious. But they aren't serious..their ambition is AFLX-style entertainment. And tonight seemed totally scripted like WWE, with the Blues/Umps playing the heels.

No chance they reverse the result but I think Freo should get some sort of explanation.

How the field umpire let the wrong bloke take the kick and the boundary umpire set the mark incorrectly is beyond me.

Slow down and relax a bit there Fangio. I was watching the game with some other Freo supporting mates and we all agreed that those early frees that Freo were awarded were either very soft or not there at all.
Context is everything though, those frees were at the very beginning of the game, which Carlton had all that time to even the ledger on if they were good enough. The Decision at the death doesn't afford that king of luxury.
If you had have not so selectively read my post you may also have seen that I criticised Freo for letting it get close enough that this would be an issue, and then I went on to Congratulate the Carlton fans.

So I'm really not sure why you are venting at me about all this.
As gutted as I am I even agree that Carlton deserved the win more. Carlton are on their way and a bit ahead of Freo atm I think, the game turned out roughly where it should have, sh*t umpiring aside.
Fair enough. My apology. You weren’t the only one I’ve vented at. Free kicks at any time of the game if they result in goals should be heavily criticised. Freo only kicked 2 goals that aren’t from awarded frees or non decisions.

I can't watch this game anymore. We had 2 clear in the backs with no down the ground, then that last free was was before he kicked.
I would love to see the amount of ushered kicks out of bounds in that match. It is like interpretation from umpires can change.

To the Carlton crew. You had your chances, but the end of that game was a debacle. Great kick - but an illegitimate win. The game is basically won and lost at the umpires discretion. A number of shite decisions both ways. I can not make head or tales of every round. Neither team is going to win the flag this year, and good luck to the Blues making a flag tilt - I think neither will make the 8. That said, the game is in disrepair. So many weird decisions to both teams, but by golly, the Taberner out was ridiculous - the ball was going out. That was a fact. He barely touched it. Even if a Carlton player got there, it was going out.

Then the down the ground. Technically it is meant to be an action after a kick. The action was in the kick. As I said, I cannot watch this game anymore, it is the umpires that make the rules. Sometimes a 50m paid, sometimes not, sometimes down the ground sometimes not, sometimes holding the ball, sometimes not, sometimes deliberate sometimes not.

The end of the game was so inconsistent in how the game was played makes me more sick than any game played in the history of a game I have watched. The AFL is broken.

So, the rules say it's downfield to Carlton, but not Conca?

I'm gobsmacked.

One was while the ball was kicked, the other after. By all means, be upset with some aspects of the ump decisions that led to the goal, but this point is obvious and happens every week.

If they don't reverse this result they arent serious. But they aren't serious..their ambition is AFLX-style entertainment.

I'd be happy to hand back that last goal if Freo hand back their first. Both came from umpiring errors.

Every single person has every right to be critical of the umpires. They are absolutely horrible at their jobs and it just keeps getting worse.

Ironically, we were given a total bs free kick to win the game, when bs free kicks at stages almost cost us the game.

Something seriously, seriously, seriously needs to be done about the umps. Feel sorry for Freo fans that it ended that way and the game was overshadowed by people who are so inept at their jobs and unbalanced.
At least you manned up enough to admit it so fair play after you complained long and hard last week. :thumbsu:

The standard of umpiring is a complete joke. If you reinvent interpretations on a weekly basis, listening to under pressure coaches this is what you get as a code.

Boundary umpires have been poor this year. Wonder if no seconds has reduced the quality

Probably, you can clearly see the ball cross the line around the 50m line, they set the mark pretty much where the ball landed, a good 10m forward of that, probably more

Mate that wasn't a free kick. Jesus it's incidental contact. It's a f*n contact sport and sometimes can't be help. Down the ground is meant deliberate stuff.

But they got 2 bullshit ones in the first aswell.
Say that to Weitering and jones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then the down the ground. Technically it is meant to be an action after a kick. The action was in the kick.

As I said, I cannot watch this game anymore, it is the umpires that make the rules. Sometimes a 50m paid, sometimes not, sometimes down the ground sometimes not, sometimes holding the ball, sometimes not, sometimes deliberate sometimes not ... The end of the game was so inconsistent in how the game was played makes me more sick than any game played in the history of a game I have watched. The AFL is broken.

It was after the kick and clearly so. I think you're aggrieved at the wrong thing here.

Totally agree with your second point. I cancelled Kayo subscription after the debacle of last week's umpiring Carlton vs WCE and didn't even watch tonight's game. I've had enough. Watched highlights on YouTube to see what all the fuss was about, but that's all they're getting from me for a while. Game is broken and the AFL need to man up and admit it and set about finding a solution, instead of playing Iraqi general every week.

How the field umpire let the wrong bloke take the kick and the boundary umpire set the mark incorrectly is beyond me.
i think the simple explanation is they just weren't paying attention.
disappointing that the Freo players weren't more remonstrative that it was Gibbons kick, but i think everyone was just so confused about what was happening

That free was there, and the correct rules were applied. Docherty was ironed out after his kick, and the rules state that when that happens it's a downfield free kick to be taken where the ball crosses the boundary line.

Can you point me to part of the rule book regarding playing on out of bounds like Docherty did and also to how Gibbons didn't take the kick?

Been watching the reply over & over and as a neutral that would have to be the worst decision to result a game since Scott Thompson's "illegal sheppard" against Brisbane last year.
As they did then, I'm sure this week they will come out and admit it was an incorrect call.

The major problem is the umpires don't seem to know what the rules are. The early in the game you could be tackled, fend off, no prior. Later on tackled, gone.

The AFL is to blame for this. Constantly changing holding the ball interpretations.

The whole rule needs an overhaul with clear guide lines on what is a free kick and what isn’t.

Can you point me to part of the rule book regarding playing on out of bounds like Docherty did and also to how Gibbons didn't take the kick?

Sure. Rule 18.1.2 of the AFL Rules:

18.1.2 Awarding Free Kicks Unless otherwise stated in these Laws, a Free Kick can be awarded at any location on the Arena and shall be taken where it is awarded or where the football is at the time, whichever is the greater penalty against the offending Team. For the avoidance of doubt, Free Kicks awarded outside the Playing Surface will be taken at the nearest location on the Boundary Line or where the football is at the time, whichever is the greater penalty against the offending Team.

https://aflua.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020-Laws-of-Australian-Football.pdf

Back