Obeanie1

Hall of Famer
Suspended
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
3 minutes.

That's how long the limited seats available to the public lasted.

Only 5400 seats were released and most of these were snapped up by club members and 'other priority' corporates and VIPs.

Only online tickets available with a hand full of gate tickets available.

There are thousands of very disappointed and angry indigenous fans who never had a chance to get tickets. This game has pretty much locked out the fans it was targeting by bringing this game to the NT.

All in a location with zero local Covid cases for months.

Don't be surprised to see fans jumping fences and angry crowds outside the stadium.

It’s a real shame that club members get to attend

How very self centered of you to only hold that view. But that's just Richmond culture for you.

The issue is why sell the Dream Time game as great for NT indigenous fans and the vast majority of them are locked out with no chance to see the game.

Don’t get me wrong, it would be cool to see Indigenous locals get first pick, but this is the wrong year to prioritise seating like that IMO. Many paid members are getting no access to games at all, so I think it isn’t the year to be outraged by paid members attending games

Don’t get me wrong, it would be cool to see Indigenous locals get first pick, but this is the wrong year to prioritise seating like that IMO. Many paid members are getting no access to games at all, so I think it isn’t the year to be outraged by paid members attending games
Wow. Thought we had agreed segregation and racial discrimination was a bad thing, but apparently not.

Wow. Thought we had agreed segregation and racial discrimination was a bad thing, but apparently not.
I don’t think it I would like that type of segregation in other circumstances and I am not indigenous myself, but this is specifically something I wouldn’t mind seeing during a Richmond vs Essendon match as a way to recognise the indigenous given that this match is set up in a way to recognise them.

It’s kinda in line with the affirmative measures you see in recruiting indigenous Australians to Government agencies. I don’t think that doing this in times where COVID-19 is not happening will hurt as a once-off, but definitely not in COVID-19. Either way, it’s certainly not controversial prioritising paid members.

How very self centered of you to only hold that view. But that's just Richmond culture for you.

The issue is why sell the Dream Time game as great for NT indigenous fans and the vast majority of them are locked out with no chance to see the game.
Paid up members moving heaven and earth to attend games. Richmond culture problem

3 minutes.

Only 5400 seats were released and most of these were snapped up by club members and 'other priority' corporates and VIPs.

There are thousands of very disappointed and angry indigenous fans who never had a chance to get tickets. This game has pretty much locked out the fans it was targeting by bringing this game to the NT.

Don't be surprised to see fans jumping fences and angry crowds outside the stadium.
Who should get first priority? Surely club members get first crack given they are members of their football club?

3 minutes.

So you're saying indigenous fans can't be club members? I guess that's just the West Coast culture for you.

:drunk:

I'm not sure missing a game of football in a small capacity stadium meets the definition of 'nightmare'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointing but I guess when the ground capacity being only 12,500 and made even less due to Covid restrictions this was bound to happen.

Not sure what solution the OP had in mind other than just having a whinge?

The solution could be several forms.

Don't pre release tickets to non members. There were other 'priority' releases of tickets before the public were offered the scraps.

Why restrict the crowd numbers so hard when there has been zero community transmission for months in the NT.

And in reality why even bother taking a Dream Time game to Darwin when you would have known that thousands of indigenous supporters would be locked out? Many of those being indigenous peoples who will still travel hundreds of KM only to be confronted with watching "the elite lucky few" who had a chance to get into the game.

For the feel good aspect of the Dream Time game that highlights indigenous players, peoples and reconciliation in this years game it will end up being predominately the well off and connected who get to attend.

You call it a whinge.

I'm just calling out the hypocrisy of holding the Dream Time game at a location that ends up locking out thousands of people the game is there to represent where the well off and connected get to attend.

IMO its poor management.

So you're saying indigenous fans can't be club members? I guess that's just the West Coast culture for you.

:drunk:

I didn't say that, you did.

I would suggest logic would dictate very few indigenous people who live remotely on communities would be full time members of any AFL club simply due to the fact they can't attend games 3,000 km away in a normal season. They are passionate fans without question and some may well be full time members but the vast majority would not be.

The messaging is wrong from the AFL here.

The nightmare is a logistical one from the AFLs perspective

Unfortunately for the OP most people are moronic bogans incapable of understanding systemic social disadvantage and comprehending complex ideas beyond "duurrrrrr I'm a member therefore I'm most important durrrrr".

This Dreamtime game being lined up for club members, which yes, are more likely to be white males, is like Tony Abbott being the Minister for Women.

I didn't say that, you did.

I would suggest logic would dictate very few indigenous people who live remotely on communities would be full time members of any AFL club simply due to the fact they can't attend games 3,000 km away in a normal season. They are passionate fans without question and some may well be full time members but the vast majority would not be.

Doesn't WA also have a large indigenous population? How many members are you locking out of Optus next week to give priority elsewhere?

The solution could be several forms.

Don't pre release tickets to non members. There were other 'priority' releases of tickets before the public were offered the scraps.

Why restrict the crowd numbers so hard when there has been zero community transmission for months in the NT.

And in reality why even bother taking a Dream Time game to Darwin when you would have known that thousands of indigenous supporters would be locked out? Many of those being indigenous peoples who will still travel hundreds of KM only to be confronted with watching "the elite lucky few" who had a chance to get into the game.

For the feel good aspect of the Dream Time game that highlights indigenous players, peoples and reconciliation in this years game it will end up being predominately the well off and connected who get to attend.

You call it a whinge.

I'm just calling out the hypocrisy of holding the Dream Time game at a location that ends up locking out thousands of people the game is there to represent where the well off and connected get to attend.

IMO its poor management.

That's better, you should have started the thread like that.

Congrats Obeanie1 for the stadium management gig at Optus. Hope you can make the tough calls.

He's trying to manage Darwin, might as well do Perth while he is at it.

If you two are members i would expect you to do the right thing and donate your seats next week to a local indigenous person.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back