Video technology has come a long way. Is it time for an AFL sin bin?

Is it time for a 10 minute sin bin for blatant knock out blows?

• Yes

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Maybe - need more information

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the idea of umpires being probably trained - must be a unanimous decision (3 on-field and 2 video = 5 umpires) - after all 5 have viewed the footage. And injured player must be unable to take the field. Also if player is sent off - then injured player isnt allowed back on (no miraculous recoveries).

I see it only being used maybe once a year at most.
They would implement yellow and red cards for ridiculous nonsense like microaggressions such as players throwing their arms up in the arm. There's no way The AFL would be very lenient and reasonable around implementing a Sin Bin.

No, subs are for injuries, not acts of thuggery.

Why should a player who pulls a punch like Andrew Gaff on an opponent be allowed to play out the game and have an advantage? Makes zero sense.

Reckon the 8 games he was banned for was a bigger disadvantage.

On a personal front he’ll never be a premiership player, the thing all players play for.

Playing out the rest of that one game is a tiny insignificance.

Reckon the 8 games he was banned for was a bigger disadvantage.

On a personal front he’ll never be a premiership player, the thing all players play for.

Playing out the rest of that one game is a tiny insignificance.

Not insignificant for the team who had their player knocked out.

How is it fair that he could play the game out but the guy he punched couldn't??

Not insignificant for the team who had their player knocked out.

How is it fair that he could play the game out but the guy he punched couldn't??

Because it’s not a black and white issue.

It’s not just a case of skipping around with a magic wand, eliminating bits of “unfairness” without consequence and making the world a happy place.

Every change that is made has unintended consequences. Summarily suspending somebody on the spot with no recourse certainly will.

I guarantee that if you brought in a red card, they will end up being handed down incorrectly to players who don’t deserve them. It happens in soccer, quite regularly, still now with VAR.

Then that happens to your team and you’ll be shaking your fist again about unfairness.

I’m not keen on penalties that can’t be undone if required. Doubly so when they’re summary penalties with no trial.

We have a good system. Players go to a tribunal, can argue their case and get judged, and get penalised very, very heavily these days. That’s an ideal justice system and you wouldn’t change it unless there was an urgent issue.

If we had players clearly going around taking players out as a tactic for winning, I’d listen. But we don’t. These sort of major incidents are very rare now and punished very severely. There just isn’t a big case for a change. It is under control.

It’s not just a case of skipping around with a magic wand, eliminating bits of “unfairness” without consequence and making the world a happy place.

Every change that is made has unintended consequences. Summarily suspending somebody on the spot with no recourse certainly will.

I guarantee that if you brought in a red card, they will end up being handed down incorrectly to players who don’t deserve them. It happens in soccer, quite regularly, still now with VAR.

Then that happens to your team and you’ll be shaking your fist again about unfairness.

I’m not keen on penalties that can’t be undone if required. Doubly so when they’re summary penalties with no trial.

We have a good system. Players go to a tribunal, can argue their case and get judged, and get penalised very, very heavily these days. That’s an ideal justice system and you wouldn’t change it unless there was an urgent issue.

If we had players clearly going around taking players out as a tactic for winning, I’d listen. But we don’t. These sort of major incidents are very rare now and punished very severely. There just isn’t a big case for a change. It is under control.
Good post, here’s a Genuine question, how is the AFL competition different from every other sporting competition in the world, and every other Australian Football league in the country?

I can’t imagine officials in any other sport saying “yeah, you’ve severely injured an opponent with an action whilst not intentional thuggery, was manifestly excessive in force, likely to cause serious injury and well outside the laws of the game, but we’re not going to send you off because we don’t want to deal with the in-game fallout as we’ll inevitably get send offs wrong from time to time. Better to let everyone complain about it for days (all good for publicity) rather than make a decision, that we’ll inevitably get wrong from time to time anyway.”

However it’s implemented, it’s deserved that a player who engages in a Powell Pepper bump get sin binned, or a Webster bump be red carded, or one of the many blatant dives for free kicks in front of goal get 5 minutes to think about it.

And to top it all off, there is a send off law in the Laws of the Game, that the first clause on application of the Law states it applies everywhere apart from the AFL competition.

The issue is the team that has a player injured, gets a disadvantage during the game.

During finals, this could have a big impact.

Let's look at the Cotchin hit on Shiel for example, or if the Webster or Powell Pepper incidents happened during finals.

I am not comfortable with either of the teams getting an advantage due to knocking out of a player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back