Essendon 2000 has to be the greatest Team of all Time?

Were Essendon 2000 were the greates side ever to play the game in a single season?

• Yes

Votes: 50 38.2%
  • No

Votes: 81 61.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

PowerfulPies2023

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
Who else can really compare to that team? Losing a single game all season and destroying teams left right and centre is just unheard of. Geelong 2008 had their chance, but they got beaten when it truly mattered. They can't be compared to the great Dons in that respect because there's no flag. It's a results orientated business where nothing else matters but delivering the end product. Balls and nerves of steel and a championship mindset to reign supreme after suffering such heartbreak the year before at the hands of The Koutifides inspired Navy Blues. The word was they all sat down together at dinner ( eating a meal, a succulent chinese meal? ) after the Grand Final of 1999 and vowed to ensure that they take out the cup in 2000. And they fulfilled on that promised to one another and ran through every one in their wake leaving behind a path of destruction and damaged goods capturing The Premiership Cup.

Essendon 2000 is the greatest team to play the game. 16 Teams in the comp, the past teams just had way less teams to compare.

Who could you make comparisons with for arguments sake that they could match it with or topple The Dons? IMO you can't. But why not debate as we all love a good yarn.

Geelong had a better team from 07-11 winning 3 times and even though their 2008 side was probably their best they didn't win the flag. Essendon from 1999 -2001 are more remembered as an under performing side failing in 99 and 01 when they should've won. Essendon in 2000 were very good, but blew all chances of a dynasty era.

no argument from me.

I think that the teams that could have beaten or had a shot at beating them that I’ve seen were Carlton 95, us in 07, and us and the Pies in 11.

I know we had our shot in 08 and mathematically we did, but I think the best footy our side played was actually round 6 onward in 07. It won’t ever be borne out though in the history books because we finished the season 18-4.

Best overall record yes.

But we’d beat them at the MCG and Geelong 08 would beat them. Better talent.

Not sure about the lions and hawks.

Last edited:
Good to see many mentioning 07 Geelong so I'm not overly biased in saying I think they are. The perfect mix of old school and new school footballers. They were tough and hard but also with all the athletic ability that the modern game has. The game really changed after that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see many mentioning 07 Geelong so I'm not overly biased in saying I think they are. The perfect mix of old school and new school footballers. They were tough and hard but also with all the athletic ability that the modern game has. The game really changed after that.
I thought Geelong's 2008 team was better, but they shockingly messed up on Grand final day.

Purely on statistics in one season, yes. One loss and an incredible % capped by a one sided GF win. But the fact this great team could not back it up is a negative. Essendon has to be the greatest team in one season, that’s all.

EDIT: I just noted the question in the poll is different to the thread question. How about fixing that?

Dees very lucky the boys didn’t kick straight on GF day.
Frustrated World Cup GIF

Joke question.

Not even the best Essendon side in livjng memory. Essendon 1984 would have beaten them to a pulp and shat the remains in the gutter of Mt Alexander Road.

2000 was a crap year, Essendon a very skilled side head and shoulders above the rest but the lack of any reasonable rival made them look better. Footy got better and Essedon were left behind.

Underperformed? Not really, they were susceptible to the thump, as Carlton and Brisbane showed.

Lloyd was hard and Hird wore hits and still played well but you coukd rattle the Bombers cage and they didn't like it.

Very good, but not even great.

Back