Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
What were the best and worst grand finals you have watched and of all time

For me best it would be 2005/06 Sydney-West Coast epics and 2012 which I enjoyed as a neutral fan. Worst would be 2019/2022. Just wish we were there instead of GWS/Sydney both of which were non-events

The closest aren't always the best, while some cracking games were better than the final margin suggests. Like 05 and 06 were close and great contests, but I think as a spectacle 2018 was better. 2009-2010 are up there too, while 2012 and 2016 were close but not as close, and among the best. Worst 2019 or 2022 for sure.

I'll leave out my own sides' games to recuse my biases.

2012 was a cracker. As good a Granny as you could hope for. Big momentum swings, reasonable enough skill level and a game that went down to the wire. You can't ask for more in a GF.

2019 and 2022 were turd. Not the fault of the winners, but there was just no fight put up by the losers. 2007 was obviously pretty bad but at least there was some happiness for (at the time) long-suffering Cats fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The closest aren't always the best, while some cracking games were better than the final margin suggests. Like 05 and 06 were close and great contests, but I think as a spectacle 2018 was better. 2009-2010 are up there too, while 2012 and 2016 were close but not as close, and among the best. Worst 2019 or 2022 for sure.
05 was close but a terrible game
06 was close and a great game

05 is the most overrated GF

The first 3 quarters of the 2011 grand final was incredible football. 2 of the best teams to go head to head in a grand final slugging it out while still keeping the scoreboard ticking over.
Doesn't get talked about nearly as much as it should because only one team showed up for the last quarter and it blew out to 6 goals

Last edited:
1988 Hawthorn- Melbourne the worst

The first 3 quarters of the 2011 grand final was incredible football. 2 of the best the best teams to go head to head in a grand final slugging it out while still keeping the scoreboard ticking over.
Doesn't get talked about nearly as much as it should because only one team showed up for the last quarter and it blew out to 6 goals
Geelong's rendition of the 'Cooooolingwooooood' chant late in Q4 still lives rent-free in my head. Cloke kicking goals from the grandstand had me shitting myself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back