Best quarter ever played in a Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks 08 3rd quarter is the most special i've seen (only remember GF's from 2000 onwards).

Geelong had them on the ropes and should have been way further in front. The Hawks come out and have the oldest fattest bloke on the field and the youngest rookie player on the field blow the Cats away in a 5 min span that has yet to be repeated. The Cats went 21-1 that year and if they won the flag would have gone down as the best season in history IMO. It was the first time in two seasons they were truly lost for answers. The most underrated grand final in history IMO, I think people forget how much of an underdog Hawthorn was.

Melb 2021 was awesome but those two teams were more evenly matched then Hawks vs Geelong. I was there live and the barrage from Jackson Petracca and Oliver was amazing to see.
We went 17-5 that year and ran the Cats to 2 goals in the only meeting that year and late in the game there was a point or so in it. Gave us belief that if we played at our best it was good enough to be competitive at least. Geelong dominated about a QTR and a half and couldn't put a gap in us. I sensed watching that the fact they couldn't do what they normally did that year was getting to them. They made a few shocking errors in those Stewie Dew minutes of madness confirming that we got in their heads. People forget from that moment on we were the better side despite all those behinds (11.12 was scored from genuine shots).

That would have been a nightmare for Bulldogs fans, to be up by 19 points with 8 minutes left to go until the end of the third quarter, and to lose by 74 points is unthinkable. That's a 93 point turn around in 1 quarter and 8 minutes to go.
…and me watching the replay on YouTube for the rest of my life
IMG_6278.jpeg

Hawks 08 3rd quarter is the most special i've seen (only remember GF's from 2000 onwards).

Geelong had them on the ropes and should have been way further in front. The Hawks come out and have the oldest fattest bloke on the field and the youngest rookie player on the field blow the Cats away in a 5 min span that has yet to be repeated. The Cats went 21-1 that year and if they won the flag would have gone down as the best season in history IMO. It was the first time in two seasons they were truly lost for answers. The most underrated grand final in history IMO, I think people forget how much of an underdog Hawthorn was.

Melb 2021 was awesome but those two teams were more evenly matched then Hawks vs Geelong. I was there live and the barrage from Jackson Petracca and Oliver was amazing to see.
Last 5 minutes of the 3rd you mean.? Not the quarter

Down by 44 points at 1/2 time, the blues then kicked 7 goals in the first 10 minutes of the 3rd quarter and suddenly the scores were Coll 74, Carl 71.
But even after that the Pies steadied and early in the last quarter lead with the Pies being 100 to Carlton 79.

Big John went to full forward and kicked a couple and the comeback of all comebacks was on again. Tiger Crosswell goaled from a free kick at the 25 minute mark of the last quarter for the blues to hit the lead for the first time.

Lots of mentions of hawks in 08, but their first quarter in 89 was sublime too.
A brilliant mix of class and power.

8 goals to 3 set them up for the win though the cats almost ran them down in a classic.
It was the first time I’d seen my side in a Grand Final and convinced me that we’d never win one again.

Carltons 2nd quarter in the 1972 GF, drew with Richmond in the 2nd semi then lost to the Tigers easily in the replay. Carlton kicked eight to Tigers five in the first, then ten to five in the 2nd.

Team
Q1​
Q2​
Q3​
Q4​
Final​
Carlton
8.4​
18.6​
25.9​
28.9​
177​
Richmond
5.4​
10.9​
15.15​
22.18​
150​
This was where John Nicholls had Richmond completely bamboozled, by putting himself, Robert Walls and Alex Jesaulenko up forward and Peter Jones playing no 1 ruckman. Like Hawthorn in the final quarter of the 1984 grand final, the Tigers never saw it coming. No wonder Richmond went in so hard 12 months later.

This was where John Nicholls had Richmond completely bamboozled, by putting himself, Robert Walls and Alex Jesaulenko up forward and Peter Jones playing no 1 ruckman. Like Hawthorn in the final quarter of the 1984 grand final, the Tigers never saw it coming. No wonder Richmond went in so hard 12 months later.

Carlton applied a defensive game plan in both the second semi draw and replay to counteract Richmond’s attacking game plan but was not successful.
John Nicholls for the GF actually made 8 positional changes to the selected side including the Jones move and instructed the team to beat Richmond at their own game with an attacking and long kicking game plan. Hence the shootout that occurred.

Geelongs first quarter in the 2022 Grand Final was something special. Best ever quarter - I'm not sure, but everyone watching that game knew it was all over after about 20 minutes.

My poor dying then 86yo dad, who supported Swans, told me the night he passed he had never seen a team as good at moving the ball as Geelong in that 2022 Grand Final.

I didn't have the heart to tell him about the stand rule brought in by the man who then immediately shifted to becoming CEO of Geelong.

For the first time in my entire I just said what another person needed to hear. "Yes amazing ball movement dad."

My poor dying then 86yo dad, who supported Swans, told me the night he passed he had never seen a team as good at moving the ball as Geelong in that 2022 Grand Final.

I didn't have the heart to tell him about the stand rule brought in by the man who then immediately shifted to becoming CEO of Geelong.

For the first time in my entire I just said what another person needed to hear. "Yes amazing ball movement dad."
A rare moment of class, well done MR

For me... I liked North's second quarter in 1996 especially the last few minutes, great power footy, coming from a long way back to go in at half time in front, they were the team of the 90s imo

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast's third quarter in 1992. Wasn't a huge margin at half time, but I think alot of people forget how much Geelong looked to be in the box seat to win before the 3rd qtr deluge came.

The Eagles were in the box seat at half time despite trailing.

Geelong were about 4 goals up deep, deep into time in the 2nd quarter, the Eagles went bang, bang and took all the momentum in with them, game over.

My mates and I all watching it together all agreed, you could see it.

I've noticed a few people mentioning 1997. Always had a soft spot for that GF. Held up on a rewatch recently as well.

Largely forgotten is how Adelaide kicked 5.10 in the first half and an incredible 14.1 in the second half.
Jarman on the left
Jarman on the right
Jarman on the lead
Jarman over the back
Master class

Carlton applied a defensive game plan in both the second semi draw and replay to counteract Richmond’s attacking game plan but was not successful.
John Nicholls for the GF actually made 8 positional changes to the selected side including the Jones move and instructed the team to beat Richmond at their own game with an attacking and long kicking game plan. Hence the shootout that occurred.
In hindsight, drawing the 1972 second semi final then winning the replay was about the worst thing that Richmond could've done, because it allowed Carlton to not only change their own team for the grand final, but also look at the Tigers tactics and how to counter it, which the Blues did to devastating effect.

Sent from my 5002X using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd say Essendon's last quarter vs Hawthorn in 1984 is easily one of the best quarters in a grand final ever especially given the stage of the game.

3 quarter time:
Essendon 5.15 - 45
Hawthorn 10.8 - 68

Full time:
Essendon 14.21 - 105
Hawthorn 12.9 - 81

4th quarter
Essendon 9.6 - 60
Hawthorn 2.1 - 13
There have been some very good examples given, but it is hard to go past Essendon's last quarter in the 1984 Grand Final. The back story adds some context to the achievement.

Going into 1984, Essendon had not won a premiership since 1965 - the 19-year drought being the longest in the club's history at that stage (since surpassed by their current drought).

Twelve months earlier, Essendon had lost the 1983 Grand Final to Hawthorn by a then-record 83 points.

In 1984, Essendon had a great season, finishing on top with a 18-4 record. However, two of those defeats were to Hawthorn - by 6 points in Round 2 and by 47 points in Round 12. Essendon had then lost the Second Semi Final to Hawthorn by 8 points in a classic game at the MCG.

In the Grand Final, Essendon trailed all day and found themselves down by 23 points at 3/4 time - 5.15.45 to 10.8.68.

Sheedy made his famous positional changes at 3/4 time, with Duckworth and Weston moved to the forward line. Essendon surged home in the last quarter kicking 9.6.60 to 2.1.13 to win by 24 points and end both their premiership drought and losing streak to Hawthorn.

The 23-point deficit is the biggest 3/4 time margin that has been overcome to win a Grand Final.

Melbourne's effort in the 2021 Grand Final also deserves a mention. In this instance, they went into the game with a 57-year premiership drought.

Melbourne led by 4 goals to 1 at 1/4 time, but the Bulldogs kicked 8 of the next 9 goals to hold a 19 point lead half-way through the third quarter. It looked like Melbourne's long premiership drought would extend even further.

Melbourne then scored 4 quick goals to hold a 5 point lead at the 25 minute mark. At that stage, I was expecting a close, hard fought last quarter with the result not being decided until late in the game (as what happened in 2023).

Instead, Melbourne kicked 3 more goals deep in time on - Petracca at 29 minutes, Sparrow at 31 minutes and Oliver at 32 minutes - to hold a 24 point lead at the last break.

Melbourne then scored 2 quick goals to open the last quarter - Brown at 1 minute and Fritsch at 3 minutes - extending the lead to 36 points and ensuring their 57 year wait for a premiership would finally end.

The Eagles were in the box seat at half time despite trailing.

Geelong were about 4 goals up deep, deep into time in the 2nd quarter, the Eagles went bang, bang and took all the momentum in with them, game over.

My mates and I all watching it together all agreed, you could see it.
I disagree but who knows, you could be right. The Eagles belief was that Geelong threw their best punch in the first half and it was only 2 goals the diff. They reckon they had ya. Sumich was huge getting goals right on the qtr time and half time siren. He certainly was a momentum changer that day. His 6 goals gets forgotten about a lot due to Matera's dominance. But Sumich was equaly as important.

In hindsight you're probably right. You guys ran rings around them early and talking about running rings around Big Billy was running McIntosh ragged. Poole snagged a goal, Ricciardi's snap was class. Ablett was banging them from 50. I think you may have got the first in the 3rd from G-Ablett. You guys looked good things imo. But yeah. For all that great play and early dominance, The Eagles were right in it at half time.

Matera, Sumich, Tony Evans came up big with 2 a piece in the 1st half. You guys imo woulda had them if you could get one more out in front. 28 or 29 points up at one stage. That was a good lead too considering how good you guys were. And credit to them from coming back from that deficit.

That Geelong team were class. Excluding that 91 point humiliation at the hands of The Adelaide Crows. Scott Hodge's 11 goals. The Crows were a tough prop though at Football Park already by then. Their opener against the Hawks in 1991 - demolition. The Eagles needed like a 9 goal 3rd or last qtr at Footy Park that year to squeeze by them. 92 they beat a Lockett-led St.Kilda outfit. Beat the Hawks by a point too at Waverley.

Anyway yeah. That was a rare one for the Catters but holy * they were an offensive juggernaut that season. Big Billy, Ablett, Scott, Mensch, Paul Brown and even Geoff Miles against his former club getting amongst the goals. So much offensive quality. No match for the Eagles though losing their last 3 encounters with them. 2 in the finals.

I like that game where we got em. Daics from the boundary. A soccered kick in the wet lol.

*en Peter Daicos.

Then went home and kicked the neighbours cat😂

That Geelong team were class. Excluding that 91 point humiliation at the hands of The Adelaide Crows. Scott Hodge's 11 goals. The Crows were a tough prop though at Football Park already by then. Their opener against the Hawks in 1991 - demolition. The Eagles needed like a 9 goal 3rd or last qtr at Footy Park that year to squeeze by them. 92 they beat a Lockett-led St.Kilda outfit. Beat the Hawks by a point too at Waverley.

Anyway yeah. That was a rare one for the Catters but holy * they were an offensive juggernaut that season. Big Billy, Ablett, Scott, Mensch, Paul Brown and even Geoff Miles against his former club getting amongst the goals. So much offensive quality. No match for the Eagles though losing their last 3 encounters with them. 2 in the finals.

I like that game where we got em. Daics from the boundary. A soccered kick in the wet lol.

*en Peter Daicos.

The most amazing thing about Geelong 1989-95 was just how ******* stupid they were.

In finals they conceded:

1989 - 24.13, 12.18, 10.10, 21.18

1991 - 14.13, 13.17, 11.13

1992 - 17.9, 20.13, 12.13, 16.17

1994 - 15.11, 10.12, 14.19, 20.23

1995 - 10.13, 6.4, 21.15

A median conceded in finals of 15.5 goals.

5 finals they conceded over 20 goals, including 3 Grand Finals. It has always been very very difficult to win flags if you are not able to defend well. This is what Premiership teams conceded in finals in the 9 seasons before 1989:

1980 - 10.14, 11.5, 9.24

1981 - 11.7, 10.12

1982 - 16.9, 16.17, 8.15, 12.13

1983 - 19.9, 6.12, 8.9

1984 - 16.17, 5.11, 12.9

1985 - 9.8, 14.8

1986 - 16.16, 7.12, 9.14

1987 - 10.5, 9.17

1988 - 6.9, 6.20

If you overlook the 16, 16 & 19 in the 3 second chance Qualifying Finals, the amount of goals conceded by all these teams in finals was:

10, 11, 9, 11, 10, 16, 8, 12, 6, 8, 5, 12, 9, 14, 7, 9, 10, 9, 6, 6. Even adding the big QF scores back in, the median finals score conceded is 10 goals. You can see even by today's standards this is parsimonious.

Blight comes along with the sexy sounding theory based on the startling revelation that you kick more goals than the opposition you win the game. And Geelong bought it, lock, stock and barrel, seemingly not realising that it was near impossible to kick more goals than a strong opposition unless you had a decent way of stopping them kicking goals.

Median finals scores conceded by Premiers in the previous 9 seasons was 10 goals per final. Geelong proposed to concede their way to a flag by allowing 15.5 goals per final. And 19.5 goals per Grand Final. 5 whole finals series without ever learning anything. Train-wreck thinking.

The most amazing thing about Geelong 1989-95 was just how ******* stupid they were.

In finals they conceded:

1989 - 24.13, 12.18, 10.10, 21.18

1991 - 14.13, 13.17, 11.13

1992 - 17.9, 20.13, 12.13, 16.17

1994 - 15.11, 10.12, 14.19, 20.23

1995 - 10.13, 6.4, 21.15

A median conceded in finals of 15.5 goals.

5 finals they conceded over 20 goals, including 3 Grand Finals. It has always been very very difficult to win flags if you are not able to defend well. This is what Premiership teams conceded in finals in the 9 seasons before 1989:

1980 - 10.14, 11.5, 9.24

1981 - 11.7, 10.12

1982 - 16.9, 16.17, 8.15, 12.13

1983 - 19.9, 6.12, 8.9

1984 - 16.17, 5.11, 12.9

1985 - 9.8, 14.8

1986 - 16.16, 7.12, 9.14

1987 - 10.5, 9.17

1988 - 6.9, 6.20

If you overlook the 16, 16 & 19 in the 3 second chance Qualifying Finals, the amount of goals conceded by all these teams in finals was:

10, 11, 9, 11, 10, 16, 8, 12, 6, 8, 5, 12, 9, 14, 7, 9, 10, 9, 6, 6. Even adding the big QF scores back in, the median finals score conceded is 10 goals. You can see even by today's standards this is parsimonious.

Blight comes along with the sexy sounding theory based on the startling revelation that you kick more goals than the opposition you win the game. And Geelong bought it, lock, stock and barrel, seemingly not realising that it was near impossible to kick more goals than a strong opposition unless you had a decent way of stopping them kicking goals.

Median finals scores conceded by Premiers in the previous 9 seasons was 10 goals per final. Geelong proposed to concede their way to a flag by allowing 15.5 goals per final. And 19.5 goals per Grand Final. 5 whole finals series without ever learning anything. Train-wreck thinking.
You got me there.

They scored 100 points with 1 quarter and 8 minutes to go in the 2021 grand final. View attachment 1882693
Absolutely mental. I remember watching it thinking this is greatest avalanche I've ever seen in a GF. Could only imagine how the Dogs players felt being out there watching it happen against them. Just completely streamrolled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back