Toast Collingwood’s amazing record now of playing Grand Finals in nearly every decade since 1896 ( 11 out of 12)

Remove this Banner Ad

Last time I checked 5 mins ago , port Adelaide magpies still have a team in the SANFL.
Collingwood FC have always been the same one club.
Correct they do.
Only because the SANFL enforced this to happen as part of the license agreement to enter the AFL
They saw it as if port have no identity in the sanfl the competition would die - which is likely.
We wanted to completely leave the competition. The SANFL magpies post 1996 are a new identity which was under a new administration in 1997. Not sure why this is so difficult for opposition supporters to understand?

In 2013 we became one organisation again. One club two teams.

Correct they do.
Only because the SANFL enforced this to happen as part of the license agreement to enter the AFL
They saw it as if port have no identity in the sanfl the competition would die - which is likely.
We wanted to completely leave the competition. The SANFL magpies post 1996 are a new identity which was under a new administration in 1997. Not sure why this is so difficult for opposition supporters to understand?

In 2013 we became one organisation again. One club two teams.
Whatever makes you sleep at night buddy…

Oh yeah. I still find Hawthorn winning a flag every decade since the 60s more impressive, and having won 13 with their first in 1961 the most impressive record.
It took them 4 decades to win a flag after joining the league.

Is that so hard to comprehend…

It’s not really an amazing record at all. Prior to 1987 it was a highly diluted VFL pool of teams with minimal competition. Melbourne are the only team to win 3 in a row, twice. It’s hardly wall mounting material given the competition was tantamount to a suburban footy league.

Since 1987 when they introduced the AFL (or whenever it was), they’ve played in 7 GF and won 3. West Coast have played in the same and won 4. WC are a far more successful club than Collingwood given they’ve had to travel every week and play the GF on the home ground of their opposition on 3 occasions with only one win.

What you’re doing is counting pointless VFL premierships and giving them credence in a national competition. So, the VFL version of Collingwood is far different than the AFL version. Oh, and there is a VFL board to discuss Collingwood prior to the AFL forming.

Technically the club with the most impressive record (if you want to count state league flags) is the Port Adelaide Magpies. In the WAFL it is East Fremantle. If you want to compare Collingwood’s state based success then they are a fair way off the two teams I mentioned from SA and WA.

Geez you really must hate Collingwood.

If the elite and superior VFL competition was so “ diluted “ then you might as well dismiss MFC’s glorious Norm Smith era.

In fact let’s just write it all off and crown East Freo and Port Adelaide magpies as kings of the footy world beating all those useless teams in their 2nd tier comp

Geez you really must hate Collingwood.

If the elite and superior VFL competition was so “ diluted “ then you might as well dismiss MFC’s glorious Norm Smith era.

In fact let’s just write it all off and crown East Freo and Port Adelaide magpies as kings of the footy world beating all those useless teams in their 2nd tier comp
Why did you discount them in the first place? You’re talking about how impressive Collingwood is where the majority of their success is VFL success. I am suggesting two other sides within different states that have far more impressive records.

I’ve got no issue with the Melbourne bashing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why did you discount them in the first place? You’re talking about how impressive Collingwood is where the majority of their success is VFL success. I am suggesting two other sides within different states that have far more impressive records.

I’ve got no issue with the Melbourne bashing.
I’ll assume you’ve got mental deficiencies on a grand scale and wish you well in life’s struggles …

There's absolutely no debate. They're the facts as black and white as the last time you played a final in 2004. Unless you can pin point to what isn't dickhead. Lol
Port Power fans believing that all Port Adelaide Magpie SANFL premiership cups belong in the same cabinet is straight outta the George Constanza book of “ it’s not a lie …if you believe it”

Since WW2 Coillingwood have played in 23 GFs, counting replays.

So they've played Gfs in 21 seasons.

And won 5.

That means they have a 75% plus failure rate in Gfs since the start of WW2.

And won 5.

Yes mate we’re all quite aware of how many GFs they have lost.
The point to emphasise however is that they have been up there in every decade for 120 years playing in GFs winning at least one flag…sometimes 4 of them in a row.
The golden era of 1920 to 1950..EFC, Tigers, South Melbourne and Pies all lost 3 GFs in row at some stage.

But you gotta be actually in it to win hey ? 4C114B95-0AC7-4DE2-B4C2-9565DBBE2758.png

And won 5.

Since 2023 our Grand Final record is 1 from 1 with a 100% success rate.

It’s not really an amazing record at all. Prior to 1987 it was a highly diluted VFL pool of teams with minimal competition. Melbourne are the only team to win 3 in a row, twice. It’s hardly wall mounting material given the competition was tantamount to a suburban footy league.

Since 1987 when they introduced the AFL (or whenever it was), they’ve played in 7 GF and won 3. West Coast have played in the same and won 4. WC are a far more successful club than Collingwood given they’ve had to travel every week and play the GF on the home ground of their opposition on 3 occasions with only one win.

What you’re doing is counting pointless VFL premierships and giving them credence in a national competition. So, the VFL version of Collingwood is far different than the AFL version. Oh, and there is a VFL board to discuss Collingwood prior to the AFL forming.

In the timeframe you've mentioned ('87, when WC and Brisbane joined and the National draft got going), Hawthorn have won 7 flags to Collingwood's 3.

Collingwood have no doubt been a strong club for 120 years which is very impressive and all flags are meaningful but I don't think flags in the early 1900's are as impressive - or have the same level of difficulty - as the modern ones do.

and in modern times, Collingwood have been good (and regularly competitive) without being great (3 flags in the last 55 years).

Had they won more of those lost Grand Finals it may have been a different story.

Wow rich Victorian club who plays nearly every game at home including the grand final is successful

Shocked

Being a rich Victorian club guarantees absolutely nothing.

Carlton have been awful for basically all of the 21st century.

Essendon haven't won a final for 20 years.

Richmond were putrid for 30 years.

Collingwood continuing to be competitive is likely more a reflection of a well-run club than what state they are based or how much money they can earn off field. With that said, I think their 'success' is a bit overstated as over 80% of their flags came pre-1960.

These are often the (over)reactions seen in the immediate aftermath of a flag, just like the complaints that Geelong's dominance would never end after their flag last year (and all the Melbourne 'dynasty' talk following their flag the year before).

In the timeframe you've mentioned ('87, when WC and Brisbane joined and the National draft got going), Hawthorn have won 7 flags to Collingwood's 3.

Collingwood have no doubt been a strong club for 120 years which is very impressive and all flags are meaningful but I don't think flags in the early 1900's are as impressive - or have the same level of difficulty - as the modern ones do.

and in modern times, Collingwood have been good (and regularly competitive) without being great (3 flags in the last 55 years).

Had they won more of those lost Grand Finals it may have been a different story.
Agreed. That’s my point as well. Prior to 87 is irrelevant unless you want to count the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back