Best quarter ever played in a Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

That would have been a nightmare for Bulldogs fans, to be up by 19 points with 8 minutes left to go until the end of the third quarter, and to lose by 74 points is unthinkable. That's a 93 point turn around in 1 quarter and 8 minutes to go.

Meanwhile in the WB coaches box mid way through the 3rd

IMG_0927.gif

Gotta mentioned the Hawkers in 91 against the Eagles. Only 10 points in it at the final change. The Hawkers banged on 8.4 in the last to 1.3 turning a 10 point lead into a 53 point demolition.

Man they were a force.

View attachment 1883453

ONE centre clearance win during that onslaught late in the third may have been the difference between a 3 goal game and what ended up happening. I honestly believe that. Momentum for the Dee's was absolutely insane.

I'm obviously biased but the Crows' eight goals, with no behinds, in the context of the final quarter of a granny was just brilliant. The goal umpire was so surprised at the accurate scoring, he let his professionalism slip for a moment and grinned when Nigel Smart kicked the eighth and last goal from a long distance.

84 definitely deserves a mention for a great last quarter but I'll go with 85. Couple of goals between the two all day then the Bombers go nuts in the final quarter slamming on 11 goals to destroy Hawthorn. And the bonus of sending Matthews out in tears.

Not the best ever but 2014 second Q the Hawks gutted the Swans in a way no one expected

If individual has to be Jarman for the crows

View attachment 1883453
Hahahahaha why didn’t they sweep with Libba, or play defensively? Or attack the middle with their HBF’s? Soooo many ways to slow it down and let the players breathe, it was madness

Honestly gives me goosebumps what Trac and Oliver did, with Jackson and Fritta being big contributors too. But jeez that would’ve had me putting the Nav off the cliffs in Torquay had my baggers stuffed it up that bad

I get that I'm biased but Melbourne's third quarter in the 2021 GF was a sight and a half.
I heard Darren Burgess (Melbourne's high-performance manger at the time(fitness etc)) talk about that third quarter and what happened.

The coaching staff don't make the bench rotations, the high-performance team do based on real-time GPS data and an understanding of the game plan. He said it was perfect timing. Melbourne's best midfielders had all just come back from a rest and Bulldogs midfields had all played big minutes and were due for a break.

Gawn came off the ground and told Burgess that the Bulldog ruckman was unathletic and also cooked, and Jackson would blow him away, Gawn told Burgess not to put him back in the ruck as Jackson was a better matchup, even though Goodwin had wanted Gawn to go back in after a short rest - Gawn said to keep Jackson on the ball and put Gawn forward if he had to go back on.

The midfield had been told by Goodwin to play defensively to keep within a few goals at three-quarter time, but when Jackson came into the game the 4 in the middle got together and decided that they wanted to blow the game apart and have a massive crack at scoring.

So between Burgess, Gawn and the 4 in the middle, they broke the Bulldogs in a 10 minute stretch. By the time three-quarter time came, the Dogs were in shock and the game was over.

(My opinion, not Burgess) - If Goodwin had his way Melbourne would likely still be in the league's longest premiership drought. Thank god they didn't listen to that cancerous muppet.

Last edited:
84 definitely deserves a mention for a great last quarter but I'll go with 85. Couple of goals between the two all day then the Bombers go nuts in the final quarter slamming on 11 goals to destroy Hawthorn. And the bonus of sending Matthews out in tears.
Don't forget the all in brawl 2 minutes into the 1985 grand final.

Sent from my 5002X using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd say Essendon's last quarter vs Hawthorn in 1984 is easily one of the best quarters in a grand final ever especially given the stage of the game.

3 quarter time:
Essendon 5.15 - 45
Hawthorn 10.8 - 68

Full time:
Essendon 14.21 - 105
Hawthorn 12.9 - 81

4th quarter
Essendon 9.6 - 60
Hawthorn 2.1 - 13
Remember it well...that was my first VFL Grand Final (was only 18 at the time & we managed to get tickets quite easily). 10 of us drove over from SA and spent a week in Melbourne savouring the GF atmosphere.

We had standing room behind the goals at the city end and I distinctly remember drinking cans of Melbourne Bitter. And if you needed to go for a slash, eveyone would let you through! No dickheads, no trouble.

To top it off, the SANFL GF was on the next day and it was on Melbourne TV (channel 2?) and although I don't barrack for Norwood, it was great to see them beat Port (and of course we were on the gas all day..)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm obviously biased but the Crows' eight goals, with no behinds, in the context of the final quarter of a granny was just brilliant. The goal umpire was so surprised at the accurate scoring, he let his professionalism slip for a moment and grinned when Nigel Smart kicked the eighth and last goal from a long distance.
Thumping Goal that was.

Smarty backed it up with 3 next year as well. Terrific talent.

Most people's memory of the 1993 Grand Final is Michael Long's electrifying run and goal. That was one of 13 Essendon scores in the first quarter. The Bombers kicked 5.8.38 to Carlton's 1.2.8. More accurate kicking would have blown the game apart, but Essendon's 30-point quarter time lead was the basis of its 44-point premiership win.

The 2022 Grand Final was similar with Geelong's 11 scoring shots resulting in 6.5.41 while Sydney had the one score for 1.0.6.

Both examples that the last quarter in a Grand Final doesn't have to be the best. A blistering start can result in the premiership effectively being decided before the first break.

I didn't have the heart to tell him about the stand rule brought in by the man who then immediately shifted to becoming CEO of Geelong.
Omg give it up you salty clown.
It’s s**t like this that makes your input horrendous.

To answer OP -
2022 GF 3rd quarter
2021 GF 3rd/4th quarter
84 GF 4th quarter
97 GF 4th quarter
89 GF 1st quarter

Last edited:
Carltons 2nd quarter in the 1972 GF, drew with Richmond in the 2nd semi then lost to the Tigers easily in the replay. Carlton kicked eight to Tigers five in the first, then ten to five in the 2nd.

Team
Q1​
Q2​
Q3​
Q4​
Final​
Carlton
8.4​
18.6​
25.9​
28.9​
177​
Richmond
5.4​
10.9​
15.15​
22.18​
150​
We will never see a score like this in a grand final

They scored 100 points with 1 quarter and 8 minutes to go in the 2021 grand final. View attachment 1882693
What a performance from the Dees

The most amazing thing about Geelong 1989-95 was just how

As a cats supporter, I loved that era. Frustrating that players weren’t 100% professional so missed a premiership or two. Still prefer my team playing offensive compared to a Ross Lyon defensive mindset

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remember it well...that was my first VFL Grand Final (was only 18 at the time & we managed to get tickets quite easily). 10 of us drove over from SA and spent a week in Melbourne savouring the GF atmosphere.

We had standing room behind the goals at the city end and I distinctly remember drinking cans of Melbourne Bitter. And if you needed to go for a slash, eveyone would let you through! No dickheads, no trouble.

To top it off, the SANFL GF was on the next day and it was on Melbourne TV (channel 2?) and although I don't barrack for Norwood, it was great to see them beat Port (and of course we were on the gas all day..)
It was on the ABC mainly because Channel 7 in Melbourne was showing the 1984 Bathurst 1000 (a three-peat for the late Peter Brock and Larry Perkins in the 05 Marlboro Holden Racing Team car).

Sent from my 5002X using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back