Hawthorn to play finals in 2024?

Remove this Banner Ad

PowerfulPies2023

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's my bold prediction. I'm either going to look like a genius or fall completely flat on my face. Then again they could just miss out so not all doom and gloom:p

There's usually one surprise team that steps up. Last year we had Saints, Blues, Giants, Port in the 8 as opposed to the year before granted these teams had been lurking for a few years though appearing in finals or just missing out. Except for the Blues but they did go close in 2022 and should have participated in September.

The thing that I like about the Hawks is they have that intensity about them. They're bold. They take risks and they have young talent. They take the game on. They're emerging. I feel they and The Blues are going to have a serious say in the comp for a while to come and although Carlton have already established themselves I just got a feel about the Hawkers. You could see it last season already how they beat both Grand Finalists and pushed The Dees and The Giants.

Seven wins last season, I reckon at worst they go 9-13. Should get at least 11 but if there's on surprise team in 2024, surely it's The Hawks?

That's my bold prediction. My boldy is The Brown and Goldy so I'm on The Hawkers for the new up and coming youngsters in 2024!

Can they? Possibly.
Will they? Maybe not.

There's quite a lot of teams who didn't play finals in 2023 that have the potential to lift themselves into the equation. Hawks will need a relatively good injury run to move passed some of the more seasoned sides.

Against :
  • Still the second youngest list in the comp.
  • Development isn't always linear.
  • Don't have much experienced depth in key posts.
  • See above, susceptible to injury/suspension if anyone up the spine misses games.
  • Competition for spots in the top 8 will be strong.
For :
  • From Round 10 2023, Hawthorn were 9th in the comp for Quarters won. During that period Hawthorn played 9 games against the eventual finalists(2x Saints) and were missing Sicily(3) and Lewis(2) at times.
  • From Rounds 18-22, Hawthorn were 1st for points from turnovers and inside 50 differential.
  • Hawthorn were 3rd in the comp for Centre Clearances in 2023, which leads to the next point.
  • Last 5 games of 2023, Hawthorn were above the AFL average for Goals from inside 50 (despite no Lewis for 2 of those games) and have since added 4 more forwards(Chol, Gunston, Ginnivan, Watson) to the list to play alongside Lewis, Bruest and Moore, who should help improve what was their biggest concern for much of 2023.
  • Return of Jiath to the wing will have an impact. Another preseason into Ward, MacKenzie, Weddle, DGB and MacDonald.

Going to be fun to watch them, regardless.

I don’t think so. But it’s not completely out of the question.

I can see them going backwards slightly. Development isn’t linear and there are a lot of decent teams out there now.

Definitely on the right track though.
Stunning...caught you in a whirlwind....mother can only take so. Much

Can they? Possibly.
Will they? Maybe not.

There's quite a lot of teams who didn't play finals in 2023 that have the potential to lift themselves into the equation. Hawks will need a relatively good injury run to move passed some of the more seasoned sides.

Against :
  • Still the second youngest list in the comp.
  • Development isn't always linear.
  • Don't have much experienced depth in key posts.
  • See above, susceptible to injury/suspension if anyone up the spine misses games.
  • Competition for spots in the top 8 will be strong.
For :
  • From Round 10 2023, Hawthorn were 9th in the comp for Quarters won. During that period Hawthorn played 9 games against the eventual finalists(2x Saints) and were missing Sicily(3) and Lewis(2) at times.
  • From Rounds 18-22, Hawthorn were 1st for points from turnovers and inside 50 differential.
  • Hawthorn were 3rd in the comp for Centre Clearances in 2023, which leads to the next point.
  • Last 5 games of 2023, Hawthorn were above the AFL average for Goals from inside 50 (despite no Lewis for 2 of those games) and have since added 4 more forwards(Chol, Gunston, Ginnivan, Watson) to the list to play alongside Lewis, Bruest and Moore, who should help improve what was their biggest concern for much of 2023.
  • Return of Jiath to the wing will have an impact. Another preseason into Ward, MacKenzie, Weddle, DGB and MacDonald.

Going to be fun to watch them, regardless.
Sam over the pneumonia...got the eyes on

Nah,
Bottom 6 side.
They are developing but there are too many sides log jammed ahead of them with more experience and quality.
Agree.

Hawks don't have enough of a spine to threaten finals yet & also 2nd most inexperienced list which needs a couple of years to get games into the youngsters.

Ps. This thread needs a poll.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not in 2024..

A completely new forward line that will take time to gel. Heavy reliance still on Mitch Lewis, who has never played more than 16 games in a season.

The backline is still a big weakness with too much reliance on James Sicily. There’s a reason we went all for Ben McKay. Still lack a quality key defender. James Blanck is our only full back and he’s played under 25 games after being recruited from the VFL.

The midfield unit is building into potentially one of if not the the best midfields in the AFL and I believe it will be by 2026.

I’m sticking to my predicted timeline from the start of last season.

2023- bottom 4
2024- 8-10 wins
2025- 10-12 wins..chance to make the 8
2026- push for top 4
2027- top 4
2028- flag

Zero chance for mine
The ladder from 5th to around 12th is tight
The recovery from the clarkson top up attempt has them a fee years away, if all the recruits kick on

Have a bit to find down back, up forward and in the ruck
Newc, day, moore, ward, mackenzie and nash all pretty young but look good. So like north they have a promising midfield but it has to develop still whilst they find the other pieces

There is no team in the game that relies on 1 player as much as the Hawks. Sicily is their best and most important player by a mile. He missed 4 games in 2023, and the Hawks lost 3 of them by 10+ goals. Backline is a complete rabble without him, and he is awesome in attacking from defence with his kicking.

They need their best midfielder in Day, best forward in Lewis to play practically every game and Chol to kick 50 goals.

It’s amazing how good Breust has been over the years. Hawks leading goalkicker on 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023. He’ll be 34 this year, so need Watson to match his hype.

Can Hawks make finals? It’s possible.
Will they? Highly unlikely.

I think they’ll win around 10 games.

Hawthorn are on track and doing everything right, but they would need a lot to go right to make the finals 2024.
+1… Our blowouts last year ( partly injury and suspensions ) were awful…

If we have properly addressed our depth, and we remain light on for injuries and suspensions, then possibly. But there is a logjam of good teams contending. That might even prove to be in our favour because I suspect the wins required wont be high this year.

But facts remain there were a lot of better teams above us.

I think 2024 is a bit optimistic but 2025 is definitely possible.

Hawthorn still have quite a few holes in their list that definitely need addressing. Their forward line is not brilliant, though their defence and especially their midfield is getting better.

I think 2024 is a bit optimistic but 2025 is definitely possible.

Hawthorn still have quite a few holes in their list that definitely need addressing. Their forward line is not brilliant, though their defence and especially their midfield is getting better.

The key defenders are Frost and Blanck.
No wonder they went all in on McKay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back