Best quarter ever played in a Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

PowerfulPies2023

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
What's the best quarter ever played in an AFL Grand Final?

TBH, If I'm looking at two great teams going at it and the sheer quality and power, finesse all combined straight off the bat I'd choose the Adelaide Crows final quarter against the Saints in 1997. 8 goals to 4 but just the magic. The brilliance. The goals. Everything. Darren Jarman boots 5 in a quarter when it was only 10 points in it at 3 quarter time. The Crows were down 13 points at half time but rammed home 6 majors to two in the 3rd quarter. I kind of feel that this is possibly the best half of football I've ever seen in a Grand Final considering that the Saints were in front at half time and in control. They were a good team. Geelong's opener against the Swans was out of this world in 2022. Issac Smith? You played the game of your life son when it truly mattered. God bless you and your family young man. What a performance. But back on the Crows and yeah. Two teams going at it. Two good teams. I reckon I'll give the Adelaide boys the nod in this one and D.J put in a show that M.j Would be proud of. Ripping goal by Nigel Smart also from outside 50.

There's a lot of games and performances that could get a mention. Hawks 2014, too many to name.

If we're talking most memorable then for me it's the last quarter of last year. Holy *. First The belief. Then the relief.

Unreal.

I'd say Essendon's last quarter vs Hawthorn in 1984 is easily one of the best quarters in a grand final ever especially given the stage of the game.

3 quarter time:
Essendon 5.15 - 45
Hawthorn 10.8 - 68

Full time:
Essendon 14.21 - 105
Hawthorn 12.9 - 81

4th quarter
Essendon 9.6 - 60
Hawthorn 2.1 - 13

Last edited:

Melbourne in 2021. Third or forth. Take your pick I guess.

Hawthorn third quarter of 08.

Geelong's final quarter of 2011 and first quarter of 2022.

Special mention to both Collingwood and Brisbane for the second quarter of the 2023 Grand Final. Could have called it off at half time and ad a neutral I would be still been satisfied.

I'd say Essendon's last quarter vs Hawthorn in 1984 is easily one of the best quarters in a grand final ever especially given the stage of the game.

3 quarter time:
Essendon 5.15 - 45
Hawthorn 10.8 - 68

Full time:
Essendon 14.21 - 105
Hawthorn 12.9 - 81

4h quarter
Essendon 9.6 - 60
Hawthorn 2.1 - 13
The grand final where the then Essendon coack Kevin Sheedy made a heap of moves at 3/4 time which paid massive dividends in the final quarter- Bill Duckworth and Paul Weston in the forward line, Simon Madden in the ruck after being benched in the third quarter, and those two crucial goals from Leon Baker. Hawthorn never saw it coming. Could never understand as to why the late Allan Jeans left Leigh Matthews up forward when he would've been more value in the midfield during Essendon's final quarter blitzkreig.

Last edited:
What's the best quarter ever played in an AFL Grand Final?

TBH, If I'm looking at two great teams going at it and the sheer quality and power, finesse all combined straight off the bat I'd choose the Adelaide Crows final quarter against the Saints in 1997. 8 goals to 4 but just the magic. The brilliance. The goals. Everything. Darren Jarman boots 5 in a quarter when it was only 10 points in it at 3 quarter time. The Crows were down 13 points at half time but rammed home 6 majors to two in the 3rd quarter. I kind of feel that this is possibly the best half of football I've ever seen in a Grand Final considering that the Saints were in front at half time and in control. They were a good team. Geelong's opener against the Swans was out of this world in 2022. Issac Smith? You played the game of your life son when it truly mattered. God bless you and your family young man. What a performance. But back on the Crows and yeah. Two teams going at it. Two good teams. I reckon I'll give the Adelaide boys the nod in this one and D.J put in a show that M.j Would be proud of. Ripping goal by Nigel Smart also from outside 50.

There's a lot of games and performances that could get a mention. Hawks 2014, too many to name.

If we're talking most memorable then for me it's the last quarter of last year. Holy *. First The belief. Then the relief.

Unreal.
When Geelong put the Pies to the sword in the 2011 GF

Hawks 08 3rd quarter is the most special i've seen (only remember GF's from 2000 onwards).

Geelong had them on the ropes and should have been way further in front. The Hawks come out and have the oldest fattest bloke on the field and the youngest rookie player on the field blow the Cats away in a 5 min span that has yet to be repeated. The Cats went 21-1 that year and if they won the flag would have gone down as the best season in history IMO. It was the first time in two seasons they were truly lost for answers. The most underrated grand final in history IMO, I think people forget how much of an underdog Hawthorn was.

Melb 2021 was awesome but those two teams were more evenly matched then Hawks vs Geelong. I was there live and the barrage from Jackson Petracca and Oliver was amazing to see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get that I'm biased but Melbourne's third quarter in the 2021 GF was a sight and a half.
the third quarter was just to get in front, the last quarter is where you completely blew them away with 10 goals to 1. Just about the perfect quarter of GF footy I've seen

3 quarter time:
Essendon 5.15 - 45
Hawthorn 10.8 - 68

Full time:
Essendon 14.21 - 105
Hawthorn 12.9 - 81

4th quarter
Essendon 9.6 - 60
Hawthorn 2.1 - 13
Yep. I stand corrected. It just wasn't in my time of watching AFL.

It kinda is. But I didn't see it. That has to take the cake. Down 23 with a qtr to go and absolutely ran rampant in the last qtr.

Timmy Watson went berserk.

3 quarter time:
Essendon 5.15 - 45
Hawthorn 10.8 - 68

Full time:
Essendon 14.21 - 105
Hawthorn 12.9 - 81

4th quarter
Essendon 9.6 - 60
Hawthorn 2.1 - 13
An incredible comeback. 5.15 at 3QT to win 14.21

Melbourne in 2021. Third or forth. Take your pick I guess.

Hawthorn third quarter of 08.

Geelong's final quarter of 2011 and first quarter of 2022.

Special mention to both Collingwood and Brisbane for the second quarter of the 2023 Grand Final. Could have called it off at half time and ad a neutral I would be still been satisfied.
That would have been a nightmare for Bulldogs fans, to be up by 19 points with 8 minutes left to go until the end of the third quarter, and to lose by 74 points is unthinkable. That's a 93 point turn around in 1 quarter and 8 minutes to go.

Carltons 2nd quarter in the 1972 GF, drew with Richmond in the 2nd semi then lost to the Tigers easily in the replay. Carlton kicked eight to Tigers five in the first, then ten to five in the 2nd.

Team
Q1​
Q2​
Q3​
Q4​
Final​
Carlton
8.4​
18.6​
25.9​
28.9​
177​
Richmond
5.4​
10.9​
15.15​
22.18​
150​

Darren Jarman.

Stuart dew.

Not sure about team best performances in a QTR but these 2 come to mind for ripping a game away from your opponents in a QTR of a gf.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back