Best and worst grand finals of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

I was very toey in 2007 and didn't believe we had won until 3/4 time
2022, I always expected Sydney to rally back, but knew a lot earlier that it was our day

2007 was way, way better. Better team, and better football to watch
2022 wasn't a game that I watch with awe. 2007 I did, and still reckon it's one of the best team performances I've seen, considering Port were theoretically the 2nd best team that year...

Of the four premierships, 2022 is my least favourite. I still will gladly take it though :)

I was very toey in 2007 and didn't believe we had won until 3/4 time
2022, I always expected Sydney to rally back, but knew a lot earlier that it was our day

2007 was way, way better. Better team, and better football to watch
2022 wasn't a game that I watch with awe. 2007 I did, and still reckon it's one of the best team performances I've seen, considering Port were theoretically the 2nd best team that year...

Of the four premierships, 2022 is my least favourite. I still will gladly take it though :)

Funny because 2022 was my favourite.
Team least heralded with 8 Rookie Draft players and a bunch of late round pick kids beating up on a young Swans academy filled team full of next gen stars.

Proved that "Too Old Too Slow" repeated ad nauseum after 2021 Prelim was full of crap, won 16 in a row onto winning that one.
Made Matty Lloyd, Kane Cornes, Carro and especially David King eat humble pie. You could see how much they hated admitting they were wrong.

Team least heralded with 8 Rookie Draft players and a bunch of late round pick kids beating up on a young Swans academy filled team full of next gen stars.

Proved that "Too Old Too Slow" repeated ad nauseum after 2021 Prelim was full of crap, won 16 in a row onto winning that one.
Made Matty Lloyd, Kane Cornes, Carro and especially David King eat humble pie. You could see how much they hated admitting they were wrong.
Don't ask David King to eat any pie. He's had enough already...

But the rest is all personal. The team whose core was built in 99 and 01 was just special. I don't think last year's team was anywhere near as talented.

Don't ask David King to eat any pie. He's had enough already...

But the rest is all personal. The team whose core was built in 99 and 01 was just special. I don't think last year's team was anywhere near as talented.

Outside the MCG after 2015 a heap of rusted ons like me went to the fox OB section to give him stick

To his credit he took it all in good humour. Very professional. This is in years pre korney kane

2023, 2012 and 2011 were great GFs.

All were incredibly high standard, and relatively high scoring games of football up to 3/4 time, with significant momentum swings and outstanding goals and play from both teams.

2023 and 2012 had the grandstand finish in Q4 to top it off, where in 2011 the Pies ran out of gas.

Some of the other close GFs didnt have either teams display the quality of football that was produced in 2023 and 2012, but are fondly remembered for the grandstand finish.

there was 3 goals in it at quarter time in 07... The first half wasn't that bad. It was the fact Geelong kept the foot down for the whole second half that stood out. Most teams will ease off and enjoy the moment in a grand final. Not that day.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Nah. It was shocking. 12 scoring shots to 4 at q time. Port were fn terrible.

I remember watching it at the Floreat Hotel. Went with a group looking for a great day and were outside not even watching half way through the 2nd quarter. Played some pool then gave up on it. Went back to a mates house at half time and kicked the footy and had some more beers. TV was on in the background but no one was the slightest bit interested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2014 the greatest grand final in the AFL era and maybe footy history in general.

The defending premier going in as the underdogs (media and opposition fans did not want to see Hawthorn win against "Buddy's Swans"). Leading to the greatest upset in VFA/VFL/AFL history

Hawthorn stripped the fairytale script from pillar to post from the opening bounce.

Roughie showing who the boss is
Cyril doing delicious things
Will Langford's goal on the run (his second out of 3) being one of the greatest grand final goals of all time.
Sydney's best players on the day being former Hawks.

Andy D and Gilligans sour faces at the post game celebrations the icing on a big cake. A certain bald players tears at the 2008 grand final post match celebrations a close second!

To be honest, a lot of Grand finals are played too conservatively for my taste, so none are really "great" performances. The last grand final where both teams scored over 100 points was 1989, and even that one Hawthorn controlled the entire game. I've honestly seen better home and away matches. If there was a Grand final like the Essendon v Kangaroos 2001 round 16 match, I would have easily put it up the top.

Nah. It was shocking. 12 scoring shots to 4 at q time. Port were fn terrible.

I remember watching it at the Floreat Hotel. Went with a group looking for a great day and were outside not even watching half way through the 2nd quarter. Played some pool then gave up on it. Went back to a mates house at half time and kicked the footy and had some more beers. TV was on in the background but no one was the slightest bit interested.
Again, looking at the score there's been a lot of worse grand finals. It's the second half that did the historical damage.

2014 the greatest grand final in the AFL era and maybe footy history in general.

The defending premier going in as the underdogs (media and opposition fans did not want to see Hawthorn win against "Buddy's Swans"). Leading to the greatest upset in VFA/VFL/AFL history

Hawthorn stripped the fairytale script from pillar to post from the opening bounce.

Roughie showing who the boss is
Cyril doing delicious things
Will Langford's goal on the run (his second out of 3) being one of the greatest grand final goals of all time.
Sydney's best players on the day being former Hawks.

Andy D and Gilligans sour faces at the post game celebrations the icing on a big cake. A certain bald players tears at the 2008 grand final post match celebrations a close second!
Are you special? The AFL was hating the swans at the time for how they did the Tippett and Buddy deals

To be honest, a lot of Grand finals are played too conservatively for my taste, so none are really "great" performances. The last grand final where both teams scored over 100 points was 1989, and even that one Hawthorn controlled the entire game. I've honestly seen better home and away matches. If there was a Grand final like the Essendon v Kangaroos 2001 round 16 match, I would have easily put it up the top.
Watching it live I never felt like we were in control despite leading for most of the game.

It is easy in hindsight to say that we had control though. A bit like Melbourne's recent flag, which based on the scoreboard looks like an easy win but doesn't really capture the flow of the game.

Watching it live I never felt like we were in control despite leading for most of the game.

It is easy in hindsight to say that we had control though. A bit like Melbourne's recent flag, which based on the scoreboard looks like an easy win but doesn't really capture the flow of the game.

In 2021 Melbourne were 19 points down mid way through the third quarter.

In 1989 Hawthorn were 40 points ahead at quarter time, 37 points ahead at half time, and 36 points ahead at three quarter time.

A great Grand Final to be sure, but certainly not the see-saw battle 2012 was. My memory from watching it live (at nine years old) was that Geelong had always left their run a little too late.

To be fair, David King hasn't got one right since 1996.

Many are forgetting here that the 2023 GF actually had the highest combined score at HT since 1989. 120 points were scored.

The score was much lower in the second half but there is no doubt that the 30C day had a big impact on the second half. It turned into a tussle and 4 of the 7 second half goals were scored in the final 5:30 of the game.

I think as time passes, 2023 will rise above most, if not all the GFs in the AFL era. The quality of goals scored from both teams were of the highest order too.

I put money on Hawthorn at $2.45 head to head because Sydney at $1.75 was BS, and this was a 50-50 game in theory

1958 is the greatest upset in history

In 2021 Melbourne were 19 points down mid way through the third quarter.

In 1989 Hawthorn were 40 points ahead at quarter time, 37 points ahead at half time, and 36 points ahead at three quarter time.

A great Grand Final to be sure, but certainly not the see-saw battle 2012 was. My memory from watching it live (at nine years old) was that Geelong had always left their run a little too late.
Yeah I was even younger than that so I was just feeding off my dad's negative energy (he believed we needed to be at least 100 points up to be sure of winning).

Watching the footy together was always a stressful experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back