Best forward 6 of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember a study done a while ago stating that Bradman was the best sportsperson of all time based on what he achieved compared to what other players he played against achieved. No other sportsperson was as dominant, though in that time I think there is an Ice Hockey player that got close, not sure.
The Great One - Wayne Gretzky

I remember a study done a while ago stating that Bradman was the best sportsperson of all time based on what he achieved compared to what other players he played against achieved. No other sportsperson was as dominant, though in that time I think there is an Ice Hockey player that got close, not sure.

I think you’re underselling Walter Lindrum. Rules kept changing in trying to stop him.

Yep cant rate bradman other then compare his statistics.

did you know bradman only hit 6 sixes in his entire test career? me thinks he may not of been good as his stats implied. However i never saw him so i have no idea.

Yet Bradman is the only cricketer to score 300 in a day. So the lack of 6’s just shows that he had more avenues to score quickly without giving his wicket away.

Gretzky

The Great One - Wayne Gretzky

Gretzky has SOMETHING of a case given how much better he was than the next best player. Using Seeds’ criteria he can’t be considered though as it’s not played seriously in enough countries.
Ice hockey scoring is Goals + Assists = Points

Gretzky has scored more Assists (1963) than anyone else has scored total Points. Add 894 Goals, and consider he played about 300 games less than the rest of the top 5. The only guy close to his stratosphere is Super Mario Lemieux, who scored at a similar pace, but played 500 fewer games.

Also, Ice Hockey is played seriously by as many, it not more countries than cricket. Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia plus another raft of second tier nations.

Ice hockey scoring is Goals + Assists = Points

Gretzky has scored more Assists (1963) than anyone else has scored total Points. Add 894 Goals, and consider he played about 300 games less than the rest of the top 5. The only guy close to his stratosphere is Super Mario Lemieux, who scored at a similar pace, but played 500 fewer games.

Also, Ice Hockey is played seriously by as many, it not more countries than cricket. Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia plus another raft of second tier nations.

All of whom have a combined population smaller than that of one cricket nation

So. Outside of Heather McKay or Walter Lindrum name me someone else that is as dominant over his nearest rival
Don't really know, but there are billions of people who don't know or give a rats about cricket, that was my only point. USA, Europe, China, Russia, Japan...
I raised his name because he was and is so peerless, and you have reinforced that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CHF Franklin. Hudson Roughead
Fwd Mathews Dunstall Rioli
Dermie was a far far better player then roughhead.

brereton also rocked up when it counted. probably the best grand final performer the game has seen.

althhough you would have to question whether hudson or dunstall could play in the same side together. Both were full fowards and nothing else.

the hawks foward line is lacking a quality half foward flanker. well a second one if you count franklin as one. Outside rioli and franklin the side looks a little slow.

Last edited:
Looking only AFL era, and giving no regard to how it would actually work in practice:

First team
N. Riewoldt - S. Loewe - N. Winmar
S. Milne - T. Lockett - F. Gherig

J. Heatley, P. Everitt, B. Hall & G. McAdam in the next picked group. Would run most teams pretty close

Dermie was a far far better player then roughhead.

brereton also rocked up when it counted. probably the best grand final performer the game has seen.

althhough you would have to question whether hudson or dunstall could play in the same side together. Both were full fowards and nothing else.

the hawks foward line is lacking a quality half foward flanker. well a second one if you count franklin as one. Outside rioli and franklin the side looks a little slow.
It's hard to see how some of these sides with 4 talls (usually 2 genuine full forwards) would work. It's a bit different with someone like Franklin or J.Cameron off a forward flank but they are exceptions, not the rule. If you have a tall in the forward pocket he'd want him to be mobile and adept on ground balls as well.

All of whom have a combined population smaller than that of one cricket nation
Ridiculous take. Choose a single irrelevant statistic to mount an argument.

If population matters then let's include the greatest ping pong player from China in this list

Ridiculous take. Choose a single irrelevant statistic to mount an argument.

If population matters then let's include the greatest ping pong player from China in this list

A) I’m yet to hear someone mount an argument why a table tennis player 20 per cent better than anyone else in history ISNT in the argument

B) in addition to one nation having a greater population than all the main ice hockey nations combined, there are also more first tier cricket nations full stop than there are nations named in the post I responded to, irrespective of population.

Obviously I didn't include him but on a technicality you could. He's listed in the AFL team of the century as (Geelong, Hawthorn)

By the way if you did, this is what it would look like:

Ablett Matthews Franklin
Rioli Hudson Dunstall

Probably the best forward line period, minus Lockett.

Matthews to the fp and Dermie to chf. Cyril out.

Alistair Lynch, Bernie Quinlan, Charlie Cameron
Garry Wilson, Jonathon Brown, Jason Akermanis

Notable mention to Daniel Bradshaw 496 goals, could be named on the bench and play either Key FWD or DEF.

total goals- 2787 (=241 if you count Quinlan's time at Footscray)

Conlan in there somewhere, Lynch back to the backline. Richard Osborne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back