Best forward 6 of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah remember Lindner, on his day could grab the game by the scruff and rip it apart. Cats were spectacular with him and Gary senior in the team.

I’m just trying to remember if he played in 89 or if he’d already left the Cats by then?

Played defence on the day, panicked with his disposal all game, very untidy.

Only because we had very few good players on the day.
Not really true. Just from what I recall, GAS was NS, Bews, Bruns, Linder, Flanagan, Hamilton, Cameron, we only lost by a goal.

Lindner was one of our best in the 89 grand final. But oddly played in defence at the end of the season. Kicked some big bags earlier in the season though.

Yep he had an absolute shocker in the semi final versus Melbourne, and to his credit Blight shifted him to a half back flank for the Prelim and Grand finals. Played two of the best games of his career. Then a year later had left.

So much wasted talent in those eras. Had the ability to be a much greater player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gretzky has SOMETHING of a case given how much better he was than the next best player. Using Seeds’ criteria he can’t be considered though as it’s not played seriously in enough countries.
Kelly Slater or Tony Hawk deserve a mention.

A) I’m yet to hear someone mount an argument why a table tennis player 20 per cent better than anyone else in history ISNT in the argument

B) in addition to one nation having a greater population than all the main ice hockey nations combined, there are also more first tier cricket nations full stop than there are nations named in the post I responded to, irrespective of population.
I named 7 first tier hockey nations. Cricket has Australia, England, South Africa, India, Pakistan, New Zealand and Sri Lanka. I don't think West Indies count anymore. Regardless, if it is 7v7 or 7v8, who's to say the threshold is 8, not 7, and if you don't have 8 you can't be considered.

Frankly, they are pretty equivalent sports in terms of global exposure metrics.

Total player payments for ice Hockey would be significantly higher than cricket, with just the NHL paying around US$2.5B next year. There are multiple other leagues.

Australians just think cricket is bigger than it really is.

I named 7 first tier hockey nations. Cricket has Australia, England, South Africa, India, Pakistan, New Zealand and Sri Lanka. I don't think West Indies count anymore. Regardless, if it is 7v7 or 7v8, who's to say the threshold is 8, not 7, and if you don't have 8 you can't be considered.

Total player payments for ice Hockey would be significantly higher than cricket, with just the NHL paying around US$2.5B next year. There are multiple other leagues.

One of those countries is the highest populated country in the world by that way.

You can start with 1.408 billion cricket obsessed Indians and then work your way back. 1.8 billion from those countries you've listed or almost a quarter of the earth's population.

Convenient that you left out Bangladesh who aside from actually being regularly competitive at home have started to win in all formats away as well.
Not sure why you wouldn’t count the West Indies.
They won their last series against England.
Australia didn’t.

Because it suits your argument, perhaps?

I think you’re underselling Walter Lindrum. Rules kept changing in trying to stop him.

Heather McKay in squash. She only lost twice in her career, both in the first 3 years, she was undefeated from 1962 until her retirement in 1981. She won the British Open, which was considered the World Championship 16 years straight, from 1962 until 1977 and when they finally did have a World Championship, she won both of those.

She represented Australia in field hockey and is a Racquetball Hall of Fame member in the USA, having won the US amateur title once and the professional title 3 times. She was also the racquetball champion of Canada 5 times.

Not really true. Just from what I recall, GAS was NS, Bews, Bruns, Linder, Flanagan, Hamilton, Cameron, we only lost by a goal.

Snr, Flanigan would probably be the only 2 who I would say won their positions on the day, although it has been a long time since I've watched it. We only lost by a goal because of Ablett, we were 6 goals behind virtually all game.

Yep he had an absolute shocker in the semi final versus Melbourne, and to his credit Blight shifted him to a half back flank for the Prelim and Grand finals. Played two of the best games of his career. Then a year later had left.

So much wasted talent in those eras. Had the ability to be a much greater player.
Lindner broke his leg badly early in his stint at Geelong from memory and struggled with injury for his whole VFL/AFL career.

Heather McKay in squash. She only lost twice in her career, both in the first 3 years, she was undefeated from 1962 until her retirement in 1981. She won the British Open, which was considered the World Championship 16 years straight, from 1962 until 1977 and when they finally did have a World Championship, she won both of those.

She represented Australia in field hockey and is a Racquetball Hall of Fame member in the USA, having won the US amateur title once and the professional title 3 times. She was also the racquetball champion of Canada 5 times.

Awesome achievement

Lindner broke his leg badly early in his stint at Geelong from memory and struggled with injury for his whole VFL/AFL career.

He was definitely prone to getting injured at the wrong time.

Had a good year in 1987 - won our goalkicking over Ablett (62 goals to 53), then in 1988 started the season in red hot form. Kicked 5 against the Eagles in Round 1, then 9.6 in a great win over North. One of the best displays I've ever seen by a Geelong forward.

The following week - pinged his hamstring early on. Missed the next 7 games. Summed it up really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back