Best prelim finals of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't remember many at all even though I haven't missed one in 20 years. I'd say 2007 Geelong v Collingwood, 2016 Bulldogs v GWS, 1999 Carlton v Essendon, 2018 Collingwood v Richmond. If Carlton had come back and won last year's Carlton v Brisbane would have been massive

Too many to name.

1993 Bombers vs Crows
1994 Roos vs Cats
1996 Swans vs Bombers
1997 Dogs vs Crow
1999 Dons vs Blues
2001 Dons vs Hawks
2004 Port vs Saints, Cats vs Lions
2006 Crows vs Eagles ( 2005 pretty good too great intensity )
2007 Cats vs Pies
2009 Saints vs Dogs
2011 Pies vs Hawks
2012 Hawks vs Crows
2013 Hawks vs Cats
2014 Hawks vs Port
2016 Giants vs Dogs
2018 Pies vs Tigers - Huge upset. Pies first half was immense.
2019 Richmond vs Geelong
2020 Port vs Richmond
2022 Swans vs Pies
2023 Pies vs Giants
This is a very comprehensive lists and includes some great prelim finals I had forgotten.

In 1993, Essendon overcame a 42-point deficit at half-time to beat the Crows and then went on to win the premiership the next week.

In 1996, Tony Lockett kicked the winning point after the siren to get the Swans into their first Grand Final in 51 years.

In 2006, the Eagles played the Crows in Adelaide and trailed for the first three quarters, before storming over the top of them in the last quarter, and then went on to win the premiership the next week.

However, I am not sure about the 2004 prelim final between Brisbane and Geelong. My main memory from the game is Brisbane having to play a home prelim final at the MCG despite finishing higher on the ladder and winning their qualifying final. This was to meet the contractual obligation for at least one prelim final to be played at the MCG each year. This was the last time this happened. Brisbane won the prelim final but has maintained the additional travel cost it the chance to win its fourth consecutive flag the next week, losing to Port Adelaide.

An observation from the list is that there is one great prelim final (but only one) in most years. It seems to be the case that one prelim final is memorable, while the other is fairly forgettable. You don't get two great prelim finals in the same year.

This is a very comprehensive lists and includes some great prelim finals I had forgotten.

In 1993, Essendon overcame a 42-point deficit at half-time to beat the Crows and then went on to win the premiership the next week.

In 1996, Tony Lockett kicked the winning point after the siren to get the Swans into their first Grand Final in 51 years.

In 2006, the Eagles played the Crows in Adelaide and trailed for the first three quarters, before storming over the top of them in the last quarter, and then went on to win the premiership the next week.

However, I am not sure about the 2004 prelim final between Brisbane and Geelong. My main memory from the game is Brisbane having to play a home prelim final at the MCG despite finishing higher on the ladder and winning their qualifying final. This was to meet the contractual obligation for at least one prelim final to be played at the MCG each year. This was the last time this happened. Brisbane won the prelim final but has maintained the additional travel cost it the chance to win its fourth consecutive flag the next week, losing to Port Adelaide.

An observation from the list is that there is one great prelim final (but only one) in most years. It seems to be the case that one prelim final is memorable, while the other is fairly forgettable. You don't get two great prelim finals in the same year.
That's a fair call mate. I must admit I don't remember in detail that prelim in 2004 but from what I recall it was pretty good, hard fought and close in margin. Yes not on the same level and intensity of the game the night before but nonetheless, still quite memorable.

Too many to name.

1993 Bombers vs Crows
1994 Roos vs Cats
1996 Swans vs Bombers
1997 Dogs vs Crow
1999 Dons vs Blues
2001 Dons vs Hawks
2004 Port vs Saints, Cats vs Lions
2006 Crows vs Eagles ( 2005 pretty good too great intensity )
2007 Cats vs Pies
2009 Saints vs Dogs
2011 Pies vs Hawks
2012 Hawks vs Crows
2013 Hawks vs Cats
2014 Hawks vs Port
2016 Giants vs Dogs
2018 Pies vs Tigers - Huge upset. Pies first half was immense.
2019 Richmond vs Geelong
2020 Port vs Richmond
2022 Swans vs Pies
2023 Pies vs Giants
2013 minus Enright and Chapman, Hawkins with a broken back.

2019 minus Hawkins, Duncan and Rohan (Blicavs shuffled from defence to wing, Dangerfield shuffled forward to no effect).

Two heart breakers. The Cats didn't have the depth to last the distance against two great teams with those hindrances.

2019 minus Hawkins, Duncan and Rohan (Blicavs shuffled from defence to wing, Dangerfield shuffled forward to no effect).

Two heart breakers. The Cats didn't have the depth to last the distance against two great teams with those hindrances.
WTF!

I didn't know you guys had all those players missing. You'd have won it if fit surely!

WTF!

I didn't know you guys had all those players missing. You'd have won it if fit surely!
We had to plug Josh Hunt in the 2013 prelim and he had the worst game of his career. The defence was a shambles minus Enright. Hawkins was more laboured than his 2023 self.

Anyway every side has issues through seasons and finals series, the Cats just no longer had the depth to cover losses those years. They needed everything to go right ala 2022.

For me it's Carlton v Essendon 1999. Mostly because I am a Carlton supporter and that is my bias. The one point margin was great and a big part of it but the build up prior to it was epic. It was like a WWE build up for those who were around then and can remember.

Carlton underdogs, flogged by Essendon earlier in the year. Essendon the top team and flag favorite. Carlton and Essendon's rivalry is probably the most spite fueled in the AFL. Collingwood and Carlton is probably the biggest rivalry but it's a respectful one, both clubs deep down have a lot of respect for eachother but they also love to beat each other, hate to lose to each other. Carlton and Essendon genuinely hate each other and back then this was at its peak. John Elliott coming out prior to the game throwing barbs at Essendon about how they cheated in 1993 to win that flag, it fanned the flames immensely.

Carlton did not expect to win, they had been down, they had lost a final and got a second chance, they were a team on the up but expectations were low. You had Koutoufides put on one of the best individual performances I've seen in a game of football. Big name V big name. Two massive clubs who at the time had never experienced failure, were always successful, Carlton top of the table and one premiership ahead of Essendon. It was a big final without the drama. Then the rest was history.

The build up like that, the way it was and then for the game to go that way, it was a lot of fun to experience that.
Great game.

Richmond minus Rance and Grigg and Graham spending most game with a injured shoulder and Broad knocked out for the last quarter

The moment when someone dived straight into Pulopolo´s back... right?
If you’re talking about the free I think you are that’s probably in the top 5 worst free kicks of all time.

Yeah he dived “straight into his back”….

Yeah “spot on”… :drunk:

Have a look. If you think this is in the back then I’m sorry, you have horrific knowledge of the game.

Last edited:
1999 North Melbourne Vs Brisbane is often forgotten because the final margin blowout in the last quarter, but the first 3 quarters were incredibly high standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond minus Rance and Grigg and Graham spending most game with a injured shoulder and Broad knocked out for the last quarter
My whole point was Geelong's list then wasn't good enough to survive the adversity that a premiership side could. Nice chip on your shoulder though.

Richmond's defence had been without Rance all season and improved without him though.

Foot soldiers getting niggles in game not on the same level as Geelong missing it's two best forwards (one AA) and ball user/kick inside 50 though, sorry. Duncan delivering to Hawkins and Rohan in that dominant first half, with the ability to keep Danger in midfield and Blicavs/Henderson in defence all game = Geelong probably win.

The point was there was no viable option B unlike the more foot soldier swarm based Tigers that year. Richmond were a deeper, fitter side.

My whole point was Geelong's list then wasn't good enough to survive the adversity that a premiership side could. Nice chip on your shoulder though.

Richmond's defence had been without Rance all season and improved without him though.

Foot soldiers getting niggles in game not on the same level as Geelong missing it's two best forwards (one AA) and ball user/kick inside 50 though, sorry. Duncan delivering to Hawkins and Rohan in that dominant first half, with the ability to keep Danger in midfield and Blicavs/Henderson in defence all game = Geelong probably win.

The point was there was no viable option B unlike the more foot soldier swarm based Tigers that year. Richmond were a deeper, fitter side.
Gary Rohan and a final that says enough, while Hawkins rarely stood up against Richmond especially in finals

Gary Rohan and a final that says enough, while Hawkins rarely stood up against Richmond especially in finals
Rohan won us our only close final in 2022. You need viable targets inside 50 in big finals. Geelong had none and Scott's re shuffles made the midfield and defence worse too. Ultimately no finesse kicking inside 50 (Duncan's A game) and no firepower had Richmond able to survive and outlast the Cats. They did it exceptionally well.

Rohan won us our only close final in 2022. You need viable targets inside 50 in big finals. Geelong had none and Scott's re shuffles made the midfield and defence worse too. Ultimately no finesse kicking inside 50 (Duncan's A game) and no firepower had Richmond able to survive and outlast the Cats. They did it exceptionally well.
And in the same situation in 2020 neither Hawkins or Rohan fired against Richmond, 2019 would have been no different, add Rance and the Geelong players would have even less impact on the game

Not to mention the fact that Geelong lost it's QF and so was playing opponents in those prelims which had the benefit of having the week off the previous week.

And in the same situation in 2020 neither Hawkins or Rohan fired against Richmond, 2019 would have been no different, add Rance and the Geelong players would have even less impact on the game
Hawkins and Rohan combined for 120 goals/assists in 2019, Duncan another 32. Imagine those three Cats in and Lynch, Riewoldt, Edwards out and that's what Geelong had to deal with. Richmond foot soldiers picking up knocks in no way canceled that effect out.

2020 was a different game altogether with considerably worse inside 50 and clearance differential for the Cats. Different game lost for different reasons (one of many was Martin dominating 2020, whereas 2019 had Kelly still at Geelong and dominating). 2019 Ablett wasn't injured from the start, Selwood played much better etc but in either 50 Geelong were outmatched. Houli 32 disposals and 9 rebound 50s said it all.

2019 was the golden chance without the cavalry.

Brisbane won the prelim final but has maintained the additional travel cost it the chance to win its fourth consecutive flag the next week, losing to Port Adelaide.
This is mostly propaganda, Brisbane were playing injured even before the preliminary final with Lynch hurting himself in that round 22 game and Brown injured. I think even if they played at The Gabba, both Port and even if St Kilda had won would have steamed rolled them in that Grand final anyway.

I watched this game the other day. It hardly killed the momentum. It was the first quarter and 2nd goal of the match.

Reiwoldt played a blinder as well as the G train.
It reminded me of how good the saints were around that time.
Unlucky not to win a flag.
Most of the Port players concede that's what won them the match, Brogan was mocking Saints fans for messing up their team's chances.

Hawkins and Rohan combined for 120 goals/assists in 2019, Duncan another 32. Imagine those three Cats in and Lynch, Riewoldt, Edwards out and that's what Geelong had to deal with. Richmond foot soldiers picking up knocks in no way canceled that effect out.

2020 was a different game altogether with considerably worse inside 50 and clearance differential for the Cats. Different game lost for different reasons (one of many was Martin dominating 2020, whereas 2019 had Kelly still at Geelong and dominating). 2019 Ablett wasn't injured from the start, Selwood played much better etc but in either 50 Geelong were outmatched. Houli 32 disposals and 9 rebound 50s said it all.

2019 was the golden chance without the cavalry.
Dude Rohan is nowhere near Lynch or Riewoldt, anyway if Geelong get Hawkins and Rohan, Richmond gets Rance who cancels them out anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back