Essendon 2000 has to be the greatest Team of all Time?

Were Essendon 2000 were the greates side ever to play the game in a single season?

• Yes

Votes: 50 38.2%
  • No

Votes: 81 61.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Still best team of any particular season.
Ppl argue we threw away a dynasty, but i doubt 2000 happens without the 99 PF

That is debatable.

Nobody was going to beat Essendon in ‘85 when they went back to back and their form that season was even better than ‘84.

Essendon may still have had the same motivation as in 1985 to go back to back in 2000 if they won the flag in 1999. They were at their peak in 1999/2000 and they got Hird and Lucas back for 2000.

That is debatable.

Nobody was going to beat Essendon in ‘85 when they went back to back and their form that season was even better than ‘84.

Essendon may still have had the same motivation as in 1985 to go back to back in 2000 if they won the flag in 1999. They were at their peak in 1999/2000 and they got Hird and Lucas back for 2000.
More that we win every game bar one and in quite convincing fashion.
I dont think anyone touches us for the 00 flag if we win 99. But I could see the odd loss here and there.

More that we win every game bar one and in quite convincing fashion.
I dont think anyone touches us for the 00 flag if we win 99. But I could see the odd loss here and there.
Ironically while ess had their best two seasons statistically in 99/00, Pies had their worst two seasons during those years (last and second last).

But Collingwood probably played their best footy against Essendon in those two years. All the matches were close (less than 20 points) with the outlier being Anzac Day 2000 when ess won by 40. However, I remember Brown goaling on HT siren to put pies 2 goals up. Collingwood also led in the return match at HT too.

Just goes to show that Ess have rarely in the last 25 years had the wood over the pies, even in periods of ess dominance :)

Ironically while ess had their best two seasons statistically in 99/00, Pies had their worst two seasons during those years (last and second last).

But Collingwood probably played their best footy against Essendon in those two years. All the matches were close (less than 20 points) with the outlier being Anzac Day 2000 when ess won by 40. However, I remember Brown goaling on HT siren to put pies 2 goals up. Collingwood also led in the return match at HT too.

Just goes to show that Ess have rarely in the last 25 years had the wood over the pies, even in periods of ess dominance :)
Having been to every anzac day bar 2 since 95, i can attest.
I think there may have been one thrashing by us over the last 2 and a bit decades when you were at your lowest but its certainly been repaid in spades.

It was one of the knights era anzac days that stamped his papers for me.
Might have also been the '15 game where the floor gave way during the drugs saga and the players finally slumped

Yes? That doesn't explain how's it unlucky a single premiership is on offer every season.
No, it’s just unlucky that you have to celebrate that the greatest team ever was able to manage a single flag from 20+ years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strapping Young Lad what's the explanation? Or did you resort to reactions because you don't know?
Oh I know, I just think it’s amusing how you’re being so coy.

Essendon played 1 good season 20+ years ago, won a single flag with “the greatest team ever”.

Oh I know, I just think it’s amusing how you’re being so coy.

Essendon played 1 good season 20+ years ago, won a single flag with “the greatest team ever”.
And?

This thread is about a singular season.

Last edited:
Joke question.

Not even the best Essendon side in livjng memory. Essendon 1984 would have beaten them to a pulp and shat the remains in the gutter of Mt Alexander Road.

2000 was a crap year, Essendon a very skilled side head and shoulders above the rest but the lack of any reasonable rival made them look better. Footy got better and Essedon were left behind.

Underperformed? Not really, they were susceptible to the thump, as Carlton and Brisbane showed.

Lloyd was hard and Hird wore hits and still played well but you coukd rattle the Bombers cage and they didn't like it.

Very good, but not even great.
Yeah righto.. troller boy

You're only good as your opposition and Essendon's competition was complete trash that year. Are we seriously going to rank a team whose best opponent was a 2000 Melbourne side as the GOAT?

Collingwood 2011 had a better percentage than Essendon 2000 and didn't even win the flag because there was an even better team playing. Geelong sides from 2007-2011 were far superior.

You're only good as your opposition and Essendon's competition was complete trash that year. Are we seriously going to rank a team whose best opponent was a 2000 Melbourne side as the GOAT?

Collingwood 2011 had a better percentage than Essendon 2000 and didn't even win the flag because there was an even better team playing. Geelong sides from 2007-2011 were far superior.
Or maybe line by line Essendon were so stacked with talent that no team could even remotely get near them ..every single week.

Rama, Mark Johnson, Fletcher, Hardwick, Solomon, Wellman were such a dynamic, aggressive well drilled backline that no opposition FL ever looked like challenging them.

But hey ..according to you, every other side that year had no forwards and if they did they were classed as supreme spuds.

Or maybe line by line Essendon were so stacked with talent that no team could even remotely get near them ..every single week.

Rama, Mark Johnson, Fletcher, Hardwick, Solomon, Wellman were such a dynamic, aggressive well drilled backline that no opposition FL ever looked like challenging them.

But hey ..according to you, every other side that year had no forwards and if they did they were classed as supreme spuds.
2800 pts that season
Only geelong in 92 beat that in the afl era.
Guess both clubs lucky that year the comp went to water.

Back