If the VFL/AFL greatest team of all time, was selected today, who is in, and who is out of the team of the century

Remove this Banner Ad

At first glance Carey has to go in.
Scarlett or Glass in for Silvagni.
Dean Cox is the best AFL ruckman I've seen. (Stephen Michael the best overall)
Ablett (Jnr) and Judd walk in.

What did we dismiss, exactly

Vickery was a statistically more accurate kick than Snr.

You then went on a tangent about who was a better overall player for some reason (most likely due to insecurity) which I wasn’t even arguing.

At first glance Carey has to go in.
Scarlett or Glass in for Silvagni.
Dean Cox is the best AFL ruckman I've seen. (Stephen Michael the best overall)
Ablett (Jnr) and Judd walk in.

I don’t know much about SOS but I believe he was selected in the TOC whilst he was still playing, pretty impressive why do you think Scarlett and Glass are better?

I don’t know much about SOS but I believe he was selected in the TOC whilst he was still playing, pretty impressive why do you think Scarlett and Glass are better?
Of the actual stopping full backs Silvagni and McIntosh were pretty amazing. Both, as Dennis use to say, 'like a good hair spray - capable of a subtle hold'. Just think Glass and Scarlett had that part of the game but had a few more strings to their bow on turnover. Greatly admire Silvagni being able to play forward as well though.

Vickery was a statistically more accurate kick than Snr.

You then went on a tangent about who was a better overall player for some reason (most likely due to insecurity) which I wasn’t even arguing.

And Gavin Exell was statistically more accurate than Tom Lynch (and your mate Dusty for that matter).
See - I can pull useless irrelevant stats from the aflstats website too.

What have I proven? F* all.

Yes of course, because being a worse kick doesn’t matter. I forgot.

No it doesn’t.
Does the fighter who knocks all his opponents out lose despite inferior punch accuracy? No.

Does the golfer who misses more fairways but shoots better scores somehow finish behind? No.

Does the tennis player with a lower first serve percentage who hits more winners and wins his matches get those results taken off him? No.

Again, tell me why the guy who kicks 5.5 is less valuable than the guy who kicks 2.0

We’ve been waiting weeks. Give us an explanation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it doesn’t.
Does the fighter who knocks all his opponents out lose despite inferior punch accuracy? No.

Does the golfer who misses more fairways but shoots better scores somehow finish behind? No.

Does the tennis player with a lower first serve percentage who hits more winners and wins his matches get those results taken off him? No.

Again, tell me why the guy who kicks 5.5 is less valuable than the guy who kicks 2.0

We’ve been waiting weeks. Give us an explanation
Wtf are you talking about I agree GAS is a better overall player but at 59% goal accuracy he is an inferior kick to goal than Vickerys 63-64% or whatever it was. F me you are stubborn. It’s literally a proven fact.

Wtf are you talking about I agree GAS is a better overall player but at 59% goal accuracy he is an inferior kick to goal than Vickerys 63-64% or whatever it was. F me you are stubborn. It’s literally a proven fact.

Again who cares. I’ve never even attempted to argue this. What the hell does it matter. Your obsession with this is mind numbingly bizarre

Again who cares. I’ve never even attempted to argue this. What the hell does it matter. Your obsession with this is mind numbingly bizarre
I think people need to consider GAS’s goal kicking ability before selecting him in this team. 59% isn’t good 5% behind Vickery in fact. I don’t think many people would know this stat and would just assume he’s one of the greatest kicks ever due to nostalgia.

Having said this, he’s still in my fwd line which would be:

Dusty, Carey, Snr
Coleman, Lockett, Lethal

Buddy is better than Coleman but I have him on the bench because of team balance.

I think people need to consider GAS’s goal kicking ability before selecting him in this team. 59% isn’t good 5% behind Vickery in fact. I don’t think many people would know this stat and would just assume he’s one of the greatest kicks ever due to nostalgia.

Having said this, he’s still in my fwd line which would be:

Dusty, Carey, Snr
Coleman, Lockett, Lethal

Buddy is better than Coleman but I have him on the bench because of team balance.
Mine would be very similar. I didn't see Coleman so I'll just make it players I've seen:

Daicos, Carey, Fanklin/Hird/Pavlich/Riewoldt
Matthews, Lockett, Ablett (snr)

Really should have another 'small'. If so, I go Eddie Betts.

5 of them pick themselves. The 6th is tougher. It's very tall so I hope the hypothetical team from Mars has 3 tall defenders They seem pretty big.

download.jpg

Why not just have Geelong players in every position? Then you’ll be satisfied

For Hawthorn I would have Matthews and either Hudson, Dunstall or Buddy. Different day I will have a different view, but all 3 could be on the list for 3 different reasons.

Polly vs Cox - Polly changed the game. Its not just about brilliant, its about the legacy when looking at the literal greatest 22 players ever.

Of the actual stopping full backs Silvagni and McIntosh were pretty amazing. Both, as Dennis use to say, 'like a good hair spray - capable of a subtle hold'. Just think Glass and Scarlett had that part of the game but had a few more strings to their bow on turnover. Greatly admire Silvagni being able to play forward as well though.
The hairspray comment is ridiculous though, as you mentioned he swapped forward and 200 goals including 3 bags of 8+. He was the one of the best swingmen of all time in terms of blokes who mainly played back.

More importantly, he was the best fullback that played in the era of the best full forwards. He finished 3rd in a Brownlow playing as a full back. In his time at full back he didn’t just blanket a bloke, he took marks, ran off and set up play, in the time before zone defence which Scarlett and Glass played in.

He did everything the two blokes you mentioned did on the turnover while blanketing better forwards one on one.

Truth hurts.

But not sure if they got upset, they instantly dismissed the fact to cope. It’s a truely impressive skill.

I dare you to rock up in a Geelong pub and say Richard Tambling poos on any Geelong mid past or present. Lets see if that goes down well. lol

The hairspray comment is ridiculous though, as you mentioned he swapped forward and 200 goals including 3 bags of 8+. He was the one of the best swingmen of all time in terms of blokes who mainly played back.

More importantly, he was the best fullback that played in the era of the best full forwards. He finished 3rd in a Brownlow playing as a full back. In his time at full back he didn’t just blanket a bloke, he took marks, ran off and set up play, in the time before zone defence which Scarlett and Glass played in.

He did everything the two blokes you mentioned did on the turnover while blanketing better forwards one on one.
Calm down mate. I shared an opinion i was asked to share. Not everything has to be a shitfight.

I dare you to rock up in a Geelong pub and say Richard Tambling poos on any Geelong mid past or present. Lets see if that goes down well. lol

I don’t think they’ll be able to get up of their seats with their arthritis problems.

Tbf I would be scared if Hawkins was there at the top of the stairs. If he trips I’m done for.

I don’t think they’ll be able to get up of their seats with their arthritis problems.

Tbf I would be scared if Hawkins was there at the top of the stairs. If he trips I’m done for.

Attacking the Elderly I see. lol

Be Careful. some of those oldies will chase you with their walking sticks. Others might chase you with their electric scooters.

Some might even attack you with their false teeth lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back