Who is the best player in AFL history for a clone team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Goodes and kouta have the midfield sorted but how can they be better then an AA fwd and AA defender??
The midfield is the most important role. You’re talking two wings, 3 mids and a ruck.
You also can’t have 6 forwards/defenders playing the role of a Key position player. Kouta and more so Goodes with their pace/athleticism would be miles ahead in probably 4/6 forward and defensive roles. Someone like Pav would probably have them covered in 4 of the 18 roles on a football oval, with a couple other spots probably being fairly similar. The pace advantage is also huge, having all 18 players on one side being quicker and better runners then anyone on the other side is a ridiculous advantage.

The midfield is the most important role. You’re talking two wings, 3 mids and a ruck.
You also can’t have 6 forwards/defenders playing the role of a Key position player. Kouta and more so Goodes with their pace/athleticism would be miles ahead in probably 4/6 forward and defensive roles. Someone like Pav would probably have them covered in 4 of the 18 roles on a football oval, with a couple other spots probably being fairly similar. The pace advantage is also huge, having all 18 players on one side being quicker and better runners then anyone on the other side is a ridiculous advantage.
Yep totally agree pav had no pace and athleticism strictly an immobile fwd and back.
Except those times he got 35+ disposals or 10+ clearances or 10+ tackles and carried our midfield
Kouta and Fyfe were the same size Fyfe was twice the mid that kouta was.
Should it be Fyfe?

Yep totally agree pav had no pace and athleticism strictly an immobile fwd and back.
Except those times he got 35+ disposals or 10+ clearances or 10+ tackles and carried our midfield
Kouta and Fyfe were the same size Fyfe was twice the mid that kouta was.
Should it be Fyfe?
Yes he is slower then Kouta and a much worse runner. Plenty of slow mids can get 35, 10 and 10 but they are surrounded by runners not other slow mids. 18 Pavs is an unbalanced side because players like Kouta and Goodes would run him off his feet in about 14 of the 18 positions.

I was going to mention Fyfe but I’ve never seen him play in defence so it’s abit of a stretch same as Buddy imo.

Yes he is slower then Kouta and a much worse runner. Plenty of slow mids can get 35, 10 and 10 but they are surrounded by runners not other slow mids. 18 Pavs is an unbalanced side because players like Kouta and Goodes would run him off his feet in about 14 of the 18 positions.

I was going to mention Fyfe but I’ve never seen him play in defence so it’s abit of a stretch same as Buddy imo.
Will agree to disagree
There might be slow mids get 35 but there is no other player with 700 goals 6 BNFs 6 AA ( FB and FF)
Look at the best players ever.
Matthews Carey Ablett Ablett jnr what do they have in common
They kicked goals!
Kouta kicked 30 twice and was a one time AA mid never a fwd never an elite back.
Pav was that slow he got to more contests in a s**t house team and averaged more disposals then Goodes over his career

Last edited:
I don't have statistics to support this but Curnow going i50 is incredible, if only we could have Charlie kicking to Charlie i50. He is actually a pretty good kick, but he does take on risky options without any real penetration on his kicks so I do know what you mean.

That's fine, but would Ablett Snr realistically beat Curnow in the air? Would he beat Fyfe or Danger on the ground? Does he have the tank to go with any of them?

I think Pavlich is probably the consensus favourite for this thread so far. Goodes is absolutely an extremely viable option too.

Depends on which Ablett you are talking about. Prime Ablett in the 80's would have used Curnow as a step ladder. It's not so much the fact Ablett had better hops, it was his power to consistently jump for the ball in nearly every single quarter of footy. For a player like Curnow, that would be taxing but it wasn't for Ablett. He was a burst footballer plain and simple. Curnow obviously superior fitness but for pure carnage in the air, Ablett was a wrecking ball.

I do agree with Curnow's kicking. The penetration on his kicks is Franklin-esque. He kicks the ball so low but with so much velocity that they regularly travel 60 metres.

Just on Goodes, at 194cm tall (same as Curnow), the overall package of strength, speed, jumping, aerobic capacity was freakishly good. In many ways, he helped pioneer a new wave of footballer. You didn't need to stand 200cm to play ruck and have an influence. Goodes beat you around the ground while playing multiple positions.

Will agree to disagree
There might be slow mids get 35 but there is no other player with 700 goals 6 BNFs 6 AA ( FB and FF)
Look at the best players ever.
Matthews Carey Ablett Ablett jnr what do they have in common
They kicked goals!
Kouta kicked 30 twice and was a one time AA mid never a fwd never an elite back.
Pav was that slow he got to more contests in a s**t house team and averaged more disposals then Goodes over his career
I think we will have to. I just don’t think being a better player is more important then the versatility. I would take Kouta in 14 of the 18 spots on a football field and some of his best football was still at CHB.
Kouta wouldn’t be exploited in any role and I think he would have a huge advantage around the ground

Edit. I think you are also understating being an all Australian mid. He would dominate the game from that advantage

Last edited:
Jarrod Roughhead for me. He did play in all positions, and played them quite well. highly underrated.

Dustin Fletcher

I remember this being done years ago and somebody saying about a team of GAS that it'd be the first time he knew the names of all his teammates...made me laugh.

Anyway Goodes, Koutafides and GAS are my top 3.

Actually wouldn't mind someone like Ross Glendinning or David Nietz. Good off/def balance, height etc

James Hird maybe? Someone who just roams around..

Or maybe Michael Mitchell. 18 Mitchell's would be impossible to catch.

nahh...the answer is Pav.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

18 Stephen Micheal's would go close to being one of the all-time great teams, although not 'AFL' history.

For those without the requisite age or national exposure Barry Robran was as versatile as they come.

In the 'modern' era, maybe a team of David Mundy's would put up a ripping challenge. Great finisher and of a suitable size.
As a Port fan, I am surprised Chad Cornes wasn't mentioned.

190 cm tall too. Could play up forward or down back and even inside mid

As a Port fan, I am surprised Chad Cornes wasn't mentioned.

190 cm tall too. Could play up forward or down back and even inside mid
Good choice!

For a showdown, a team of Nigel Smarts v Chad Cornes.

Shaun Burgoyne spent a career playing every position on the ground. Not that he COULD do it.. he DID it.. Whenever and wherever it was required.

If you google AFL Utility, it comes up with a picture of him. And a utility is what you need for this hypotetical.

100% Reliable for over 400 games. Would be a very difficult matchup for most of the players.

Nigel Smart would be a popular choice.

I will say this one of the crows most versatile players in their history was Graham Johncock
Stiffy rarely played on taller players though nor in the midfield.

Smart played everywhere but ruck.

Another question, if you had 22 of the best 205cm+ player vs the best under 180cm player, who wins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back